Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2023 11:45:06 AM EST
Cracking Coalition? Polish President Duda Snubs Zelensky at U.N., Calls Ukraine a ‘Drowning Man’

Polish President Andrzej Duda reportedly cancelled a planned meeting with Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky at the United Nations in New York as relations between the two neighbouring countries have grown increasingly tense over the issue of grain.

A meeting between the two presidents was scheduled to take place during the 78th session of the UN General Assembly in New York City, yet, President Duda called off the meeting, claiming that there was a scheduling conflict and that they may meet at another time, Rzeczpospolita reported.

However, the apparent snub of Zelensky comes amid a growing trade battle over agricultural products following the decision last week by the European Commission to not extend restrictions on Ukrainian grain and other produce. With fears of having their own farmers undercut by cheaper food prices, Hungary, Poland, and Slovakia said that they intend to maintain their own restrictions on imports, with Warsaw hinting they will seek to keep up barriers indefinitely.

Ukraine, in response, has said that it will make a complaint to the World Trade Organization (WTO) against Poland and seek arbitration if its neighbour imposes restrictions on its agricultural exports.

Responding to the dispute, President Duda told the Polish Press Agency on the sidelines of the U.N. assembly that although Poland wants to help Ukraine against Russia, Warsaw will not sink its own economy in the process, describing Ukraine as a “drowning man”.

“Everyone who has ever participated in saving a drowning person knows that a drowning man is extremely dangerous; that he can pull deep. It has unbelievable strength due to personal fear, the influence of adrenaline and can simply drown the rescuer,” he said.

“It’s a bit like the situation between Poland and Ukraine. Ukraine is under Russian attack, no doubt in a very difficult situation, grasps everything possible. Can you blame her for that?

“Do you have to act to defend yourself against harming the drowning person? Of course, we must act in such a way as to defend ourselves against harming us, because if the drowning man leads to damage and drowns us, he will not get help. So we have to look after our interests and we will do it effectively and decisively.”

Duda added in an interview with Bloomberg: “We cannot allow Ukrainian grain to be sold on the Polish market without any control. We also have our own citizens, we have to care for their interest… It’s a pity our Ukrainian neighbors don’t want to understand that.”

EU Angry That Poland, Hungary, and Slovakia are Protecting Farmers Without Asking Permission From Brussels https://t.co/XghPL82Ztf

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) April 18, 2023

Poland, which spent decades under the thumb of Moscow during the Cold War, has been one of the strongest backers of Ukraine since the Russian invasion last year.

According to President Duda, Poland is currently housing approximately two million Ukrainian refugees, and has facilitated a further seven million to pass through its borders to the rest of Europe. In addition, the president said that Warsaw has supplied over 300 tanks, nearly all of the coutry’s MiG 29 fighter jets, and over 100 howitzer-equipped military vehicles to Kyiv’s war efforts.

The stance has come in contrast to Poland’s typically closest ally in Hungary where Prime Minister Viktor Orban has consistently urged for peace talks to begin to end the conflict.

In his speech to the United Nations on Tuesday, Duda said that Poland will continue to support Ukraine’s efforts to restore their legally recognised 1991 borders, and urged countries to continue supplying military aid to help Kyiv accomplish the goal.

However, amid the growing tension over trade issues, some politicians within the country have suggested that Poland could use its position — particularly as a transport hub for Western weapons — to pressure Ukraine into backing down from the dispute.

The leader of the right-wing populist New Hope party, Slawomir Mentzen said on Monday: “If Ukraine wants to introduce a ban on the import of Polish fruit and vegetables, it should be asked what it thinks about the Polish ban on the export of weapons and ammunition to Ukraine.

“Ukraine is probably doing too well in the war with Russia if it wants to start a trade war with Poland now.”

Ukraine Again Falling Out With Allies Over Perceived Lack of Gratitude For Support https://t.co/MZWZEzaYC1

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) August 2, 2023
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:51:01 AM EST
[#1]
Good on them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:51:17 AM EST
[#2]
A lot of Poles are still salty about Ukraine's part in the Soviet Army in general and the Ukrainian genocide against the Poles in Volhynia and Galicia.

“We should undertake a great action of extermination of the Polish element. As the German armies  withdraw,  we  should  take  advantage  of  this  convenient  moment  to exterminate the entire male population from 16 to 60 years of age. […] We cannot lose this battle, and it is necessary to diminish Polish forces at all costs. Forest villages and those near forests, should disappear from the face of the earth”        
View Quote

W. Filar, Wydarzenia wol yns kie 1939 –1944, Torun 2008, p. 121
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:52:01 AM EST
[#3]
I want to move to Poland more and more these days.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:52:21 AM EST
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:56:56 AM EST
[#5]
Seems very reasonable take after reading it..
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:58:39 AM EST
[#6]
shits complicated

he wants to get re-elected i assume

helping Ukraine is important and i have no doubt Polish aid will continue -- but its understandable to weigh that against his own interests
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:06:09 PM EST
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

shits complicated

helping Ukraine is important and i have no doubt Polish aid will continue -- but its understandable to weigh that against his own interests
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

shits complicated

Yes, and there is growing disenchantment with aid to Ukraine commig from the Polish voters.

Now, however, the public pressure on Poland's government and president is slowly beginning to grow. A rising number of journalists, writers and politicians are calling on Duda to use his influence on Zelenskyy to encourage the Ukrainian side to make a gesture of apology.    

https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-poland-mark-80th-anniversary-of-volhynia-massacre/a-66185178

Ukrainians murderd an estimated 100,000 Polish civilians in 1943-1944 so many are not so keen on helping the Ukrainians out if it harms their own country.  The Poles remember Katyn as well and thus are also concerned about Russia too, of course, but also remember that Ukrainians were part of the Soviet Army that invaded in 1939 as well.

Old wounds create current suspicions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:09:08 PM EST
[#8]
In before Bois scream Russian propaganda.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:11:29 PM EST
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, and there is growing disenchantment with aid to Ukraine commig from the Polish voters.

https://www.dw.com/en/ukraine-poland-mark-80th-anniversary-of-volhynia-massacre/a-66185178

Ukrainians murderd an estimated 100,000 Polish civilians in 1943-1944 so many are not so keen on helping the Ukrainians out if it harms their own country.  The Poles remember Katyn as well and thus are also concerned about Russia too, of course, but also remember that Ukrainians were part of the Soviet Army that invaded in 1939 as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shits complicated

Now, however, the public pressure on Poland's government and president is slowly beginning to grow. A rising number of journalists, writers and politicians are calling on Duda to use his influence on Zelenskyy to encourage the Ukrainian side to make a gesture of apology.    

They've been trading blood for a very long time
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:16:29 PM EST
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shits complicated

Which is not a justification of the Russian invasion, of course, just an explaination of the dynamics in the relationship between Poland and Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:21:53 PM EST
[#11]
Miss World 2021: Karolina Bielawska from Poland

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:27:37 PM EST
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

NOPE
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:29:11 PM EST
[#13]
And the Poles continue to be the smartest people in the room.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:30:02 PM EST
[#14]
Deputy Prime Minister.

Jaroslaw Kaczynski in form.
Episode 104: I know what opponents we have. Please remember that this unpleasant and unnecessary clash that occurred does not change anything as far as our attitude towards the war in Ukraine is concerned.
We will support Ukraine until victory.

I mean, if you need consolation on this, it was a savvy move by the Russians. (Try to) make it so that grain can’t get out through the Black Sea and see if allies want to try to export Ukrainian grain for them without fucking up their own markets.

Clever girl, Russia, clever girl.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:33:59 PM EST
[#15]
Quoted:
Breitbart is not what it used to be
View Quote

Everything is wacis
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:39:43 PM EST
[#16]
Ukraine - the one magic word that can get GD totally on board with total protectionism. LOL
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:51:05 PM EST
[#17]
This isn't going to break Poland's support for Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:56:26 PM EST
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:58:19 PM EST
[#19]
The Polish leader is looking out for Poland. What a novel concept.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:00:55 PM EST
[#20]
Quoted:
A lot of Poles are still salty about Ukraine's part in the Soviet Army in general and the Ukrainian genocide against the Poles in Volhynia and Galicia.

View Quote

The Ukrainian equivalent to a Plastic Paddy will soon be around to correct you with the proper Banderite interpretation of history.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:02:15 PM EST
[#21]
Quoted:
Breitbart is not what it used to be
View Quote
?  Ukrainian Pravda reported the same.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:03:04 PM EST
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

“We should undertake a great action of extermination of the Polish element. As the German armies  withdraw,  we  should  take  advantage  of  this  convenient  moment  to exterminate the entire male population from 16 to 60 years of age. […] We cannot lose this battle, and it is necessary to diminish Polish forces at all costs. Forest villages and those near forests, should disappear from the face of the earth”        

We only care about Ukes being genocided by Russians here pal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:03:09 PM EST
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

In before you mash the report button at any triggering micro aggression.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:03:47 PM EST
[#24]
Quoted:
The Polish leader is looking out for Poland. What a novel concept.
View Quote

Can't say I blame him. We should too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:03:55 PM EST
[#25]
How’s that EU working out for everyone?
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:20:38 PM EST
[#26]
Quoted:

Can't say I blame him. We should too.
View Quote

Isn’t he just protecting Poland’s ag exports against competition?
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:22:24 PM EST
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's Breitbart, of course it's russian Propaganda
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:29:02 PM EST
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polish media is now Russian propaganda too?  Man those Russki spies sure do get around.
https://www.pap.pl/aktualnosci/ukraina-zachowuje-sie-jak-tonacy-ktory-chwyta-sie-wszystkiego-my-mamy-prawo-bronic-sie

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:36:30 PM EST
[#29]
Poland will continue to aid, but it's not unreasonable not to want to fuck over your own farmers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:38:47 PM EST
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Polish media is now Russian propaganda too?  Man those Russki spies sure do get around.
https://www.pap.pl/aktualnosci/ukraina-zachowuje-sie-jak-tonacy-ktory-chwyta-sie-wszystkiego-my-mamy-prawo-bronic-sie

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23451/Screenshot__12_-2960588.png

Good lord the number of tabs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:41:21 PM EST
[#31]
Much ado about little.

Poland still cannot afford for Ukraine to fall under Russia's thumb.   That hasn't changed and its why Poland has given Ukraine a ton of military aid.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:42:18 PM EST
[#32]
Drowning money laundering machine?
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:42:51 PM EST
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a lot of things on my to read list, LOL.   My machine can handle it tho!
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:54:26 PM EST
[#34]
Quoted:
Much ado about little.

Poland still cannot afford for Ukraine to fall under Russia's thumb.   That hasn't changed and its why Poland has given Ukraine a ton of military aid.
View Quote
BUT Poland can afford for Ukraine to lose a few eastern counties  

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:54:54 PM EST
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

My mom's family lived in one of the villages where the massacres were occurring. They and several other families fled to the forest, dug bunkers in the ground and hid.
A couple of the stories I was told.... My mom's older sister was fetching water with one of the other older village girls when the two of them were spotted by a uke militant. My mom's sister was caught and killed, the other girl was able to get away back to their hideout.
Back in the 80's my mom's cousin had come to the states from Poland and stayed with us for a bit. I remember him telling my brother and I that when they were hiding out in the forest during that time,  he was just a young boy, was also was spotted by uke militant. He told him to start running away. As he was running, the uke started shooting at him and got him between the legs blowing out a chunk of flesh on the upper inside portion of his thigh. As I remember the story, he said he played dead and eventually my family found him. Because he needed medical care, my family left their bunker but were captured by Germans. They actually treated him but also carted the entire family off to Germany to work forced labor on a farm. They were lucky, they managed to survive there through to the liberation of Germany.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:56:01 PM EST
[#36]
Quoted:
Cracking Coalition? Polish President Duda Snubs Zelensky at U.N., Calls Ukraine a ‘Drowning Man’

https://media.breitbart.com/media/2023/09/GettyImages-1395252149-1-1-640x480.jpg

Polish President Andrzej Duda reportedly cancelled a planned meeting with Ukrainian leader Volodymyr Zelensky at the United Nations in New York as relations between the two neighbouring countries have grown increasingly tense over the issue of grain.

A meeting between the two presidents was scheduled to take place during the 78th session of the UN General Assembly in New York City, yet, President Duda called off the meeting, claiming that there was a scheduling conflict and that they may meet at another time, Rzeczpospolita reported.

However, the apparent snub of Zelensky comes amid a growing trade battle over agricultural products following the decision last week by the European Commission to not extend restrictions on Ukrainian grain and other produce. With fears of having their own farmers undercut by cheaper food prices, Hungary, Poland, and Slovakia said that they intend to maintain their own restrictions on imports, with Warsaw hinting they will seek to keep up barriers indefinitely.

Ukraine, in response, has said that it will make a complaint to the World Trade Organization (WTO) against Poland and seek arbitration if its neighbour imposes restrictions on its agricultural exports.

Responding to the dispute, President Duda told the Polish Press Agency on the sidelines of the U.N. assembly that although Poland wants to help Ukraine against Russia, Warsaw will not sink its own economy in the process, describing Ukraine as a “drowning man”.

“Everyone who has ever participated in saving a drowning person knows that a drowning man is extremely dangerous; that he can pull deep. It has unbelievable strength due to personal fear, the influence of adrenaline and can simply drown the rescuer,” he said.

“It’s a bit like the situation between Poland and Ukraine. Ukraine is under Russian attack, no doubt in a very difficult situation, grasps everything possible. Can you blame her for that?

“Do you have to act to defend yourself against harming the drowning person? Of course, we must act in such a way as to defend ourselves against harming us, because if the drowning man leads to damage and drowns us, he will not get help. So we have to look after our interests and we will do it effectively and decisively.”

Duda added in an interview with Bloomberg: “We cannot allow Ukrainian grain to be sold on the Polish market without any control. We also have our own citizens, we have to care for their interest… It’s a pity our Ukrainian neighbors don’t want to understand that.”

EU Angry That Poland, Hungary, and Slovakia are Protecting Farmers Without Asking Permission From Brussels https://t.co/XghPL82Ztf

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) April 18, 2023

Poland, which spent decades under the thumb of Moscow during the Cold War, has been one of the strongest backers of Ukraine since the Russian invasion last year.

According to President Duda, Poland is currently housing approximately two million Ukrainian refugees, and has facilitated a further seven million to pass through its borders to the rest of Europe. In addition, the president said that Warsaw has supplied over 300 tanks, nearly all of the coutry’s MiG 29 fighter jets, and over 100 howitzer-equipped military vehicles to Kyiv’s war efforts.

The stance has come in contrast to Poland’s typically closest ally in Hungary where Prime Minister Viktor Orban has consistently urged for peace talks to begin to end the conflict.

In his speech to the United Nations on Tuesday, Duda said that Poland will continue to support Ukraine’s efforts to restore their legally recognised 1991 borders, and urged countries to continue supplying military aid to help Kyiv accomplish the goal.

However, amid the growing tension over trade issues, some politicians within the country have suggested that Poland could use its position — particularly as a transport hub for Western weapons — to pressure Ukraine into backing down from the dispute.

The leader of the right-wing populist New Hope party, Slawomir Mentzen said on Monday: “If Ukraine wants to introduce a ban on the import of Polish fruit and vegetables, it should be asked what it thinks about the Polish ban on the export of weapons and ammunition to Ukraine.

“Ukraine is probably doing too well in the war with Russia if it wants to start a trade war with Poland now.”

Ukraine Again Falling Out With Allies Over Perceived Lack of Gratitude For Support https://t.co/MZWZEzaYC1

— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) August 2, 2023
View Quote

Poland doing what we should have done years ago.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:59:59 PM EST
[#37]
Quoted:
How’s that EU working out for everyone?
View Quote

Great, especially if they were promised it would, and they were. But then this happened, and their country was invaded.

Eventually the guy who did that left, but, at least the Russians decided to stay. Then when they, they told us that's what those Ukrainians were doing.

Sucks for them, they were almost not oppressed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:01:30 PM EST
[#38]
Quoted:
BUT Poland can afford for Ukraine to lose a few eastern counties  

View Quote

Could be but that is neither here nor there with regard to Ukrainian grain.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:04:45 PM EST
[#39]
I guess Brzezinski’s kid will have to give Duda a stern talking to…
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:08:17 PM EST
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you seriously suggesting the tone and focus of both of those articles is remotely similar?

https://www.pap.pl/en/news/polish-pm-warns-ukraine-over-escalation-grain-import-conflict

The comparison is striking - classic objective news reporting versus loaded language and agenda-pushing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:42:54 PM EST
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Polish media confirms that the quotes of the president were accurate. That's the point of posting the Polish media article.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 2:51:47 PM EST
[#42]
oooohhhhhh someone is gonna be rated a troll.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 3:48:51 PM EST
[#43]
You’re all missing the point- Poland said a year ago that if this didn’t get handled, they would handle it directly themselves.

"We are no longer transferring weapons to Ukraine, because we are now arming Poland,"
- Prime Minister Morawiecki

ETA-
To clarify, the grain deal was a side spat, the deputy Prime Minister has said Poland is still Team Ukraine, and ships are pretty regularly transiting the Black Sea route now, so it’s almost a moot point.

Between G7 and UNGA, I suspect Poland does not like what it sees.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:02:17 PM EST
[#44]
Quoted:
Much ado about little.

View Quote

Yeah and I think they're not happy about Ukrainian grain undercutting the Polish farmers.

Ukraine needs that money badly though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:41:19 PM EST
[#45]
I have on love for the ukies. Lest we forget, most of the concentration camp guards were Ukrainians. Very brutal people.
My FIL was Polish. He and his family fled Poland when the Germans invaded. They went to the Ukraine. At the village where they were hiding, the villagers turned them in to the Germans. Teh SS took them out into a field and executed them. Only my FIL and his sister survived. But my FIL got revenge. He fought in teh Red Army and all the way into Berlin. Carved his initials on a wall in the Reichstag.
A bit of history for you ukie bros.
At one time Poland controlled what is now Ukraine. And Russia. Ever see the movie Taras Bulba? Cossacks against the Poles.
In the 1850's there was bit of a dust up in an area called the Crimea. It seems that the English and French had disagreement with Russia. Lots of fighting around Sevastopol.
Ever hear of the thin red line? That was the British holding back attacking Russians.
I'm sure that maybe you have heard of the Charge of the Light Brigade? Cannons to the right of them cannons to the left of them Onward rode the 600. Into the valley of death. Russian cannons on both sides volleyed and thundered.
Oh yeah, seems to me that the Ottoman Turks also had some say in the Ukraine at one time. As did the Byzantine Empire. I think that even the Mongols played there too.
Some of you Russia haters should study some of the history of Russia.
How many of you know that we bought Alaska from Russia. And that Washington and Oregon had large Russian posts. Fur trading and the like.
Oh well, ignorance is bliss.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:43:53 PM EST
[#46]
Quoted:

Everything is wacis
View Quote

Some of these replies are straight out of DU.

Someone questions my religion? WAHHHHH PWAPAGANDA WAHHHH!!

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:53:41 PM EST
[#47]
Quoted:
I have on love for the ukies. Lest we forget, most of the concentration camp guards were Ukrainians. Very brutal people.
My FIL was Polish. He and his family fled Poland when the Germans invaded. They went to the Ukraine. At the village where they were hiding, the villagers turned them in to the Germans. Teh SS took them out into a field and executed them. Only my FIL and his sister survived. But my FIL got revenge. He fought in teh Red Army and all the way into Berlin. Carved his initials on a wall in the Reichstag.
At one time Poland controlled what is now Ukraine. And Russia. Ever see the movie Taras Bulba? Cossacks against the Poles.
In the 1850's there was bit of a dust up in an area called the Crimea. It seems that the English and French had disagreement with Russia. Lots of fighting around Sevastopol.
Ever hear of the thin red line? That was the British holding back attacking Russians.
I'm sure that maybe you have heard of the Charge of the Light Brigade? Cannons to the right of them cannons to the left of them Onward rode the 600. Into the valley of death. Russian cannons on both sides volleyed and thundered.
Oh yeah, seems to me that the Ottoman Turks also had some say in the Ukraine at one time. As did the Byzantine Empire. I think that even the Mongols played there too.
How many of you know that we bought Alaska from Russia. And that Washington and Oregon had large Russian posts. Fur trading and the like.
View Quote

Holy fucking strawman Batman!

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:57:52 PM EST
[#48]
Looking out for the interests of your own country. What a concept
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:47:34 PM EST
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either that's a broken bot or someone thinks we should be breaking out the reparations checkbook, because 1850.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 7:48:28 PM EST
[#50]
A change in World perception.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top