User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/26/2005 8:45:12 AM EDT
Old Timer's Breakfast - $5.99

Two eggs, scrambled, with sharp cheddar cheese
Three strips of thick cut bacon
Hashbrown casserole (MMM-mmm!)
A small bowl of grits (I'm not a big fan of grits, but with honey added they can be pretty tasty)
Two buttermilk biscuits, to be split and covered with gravy
A small bowl of breakfast gravy, to be scooped out onto the biscuits
Butter and jam/preserves if you prefer vs the gravy
Endlessly refilled cup of coffee with cream

I treat myself to this breakfast about every other Sunday.  MMM-mmmm!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Now I am starving!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Cracker Barrel is some good eats.

IMHO, the original, old school hashbrown casserole recipe was much better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It'll make a turd

I go for the country boy breakfast...takes an hour to eat it all and a month for my bowels to readjust.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good, but my favorite is the Sunrise Sampler.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
guess i going to have to settle for some corn bread and pinto beans.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]
We just opened one in my town.
The first time it was slow service every one was new.
Yesterday after church the food just sucked!

I've been to a few hundred different better ones (I travel alot)
I guess it will get better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually get the biscuits & gravy, hasbrowns, and sausage.  . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . .  Gosh dang it! Now I am hungry!  This thread sucks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
. . . . . . . . .  Gosh dang it! Now I am hungry!  This thread sucks!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Uncle Hershel's with a Pork Chop, 2 eggs over medium, Grits, Hashbrown

Mmmmm..mmmmm!  Bring some A1 sauce too please
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Country boy gut buster.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Biscuits and gravy is all I need when I'm there.  Maybe a side of bacon.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Haven't had Cracker Barrel for a long time... very good stuff
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Eggs in a Basket.  YUM!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Cracker Barrel rawks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A small bowl of grits (I'm not a big fan of grits, but with honey added they can be pretty tasty)

Honey in grit's?! Oh my God..
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

OK, help me out here.  Being born in the west and having moved to Ohio as a youngster, I was never raised with grits.  What canon am I violating by adding honey?  What is proper regarding grits?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Sunrise Sampler for me, with extra hashbrown casserole in place of the eggs or, if my wife's with me, the eggs on a separate plate for her (I don't eat eggs).

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, help me out here.  Being born in the west and having moved to Ohio as a youngster, I was never raised with grits.  What canon am I violating by adding honey?  What is proper regarding grits?

Depends on state/region.  In 'Bama, it's usually just butter, salt, and pepper... add cheese for a real treat.

But IMHO, they're your grits and I ain't gonna tell you how to eat 'em!

(I will, however, give you the stink-eye for drinking unsweetened tea... )
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Depends on state/region.  In 'Bama, it's usually just butter, salt, and pepper... add cheese for a real treat.

Clearly not everybody shares your opinion.    What are some other common variations?  Educate me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(I will, however, give you the stink-eye for drinking unsweetened tea... )

I usually order a side of fried apples, eat the apples, and then put the left over glaze in my grits.  It's pretty damn good.  A little butter is good too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#21]

I get Momma's Pancake Breakfast.

Mmmm...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I usually order a side of fried apples, eat the apples, and then put the left over glaze in my grits.  It's pretty damn good.  A little butter is good too.

But you're from Indiana, so you don't know from grits anymore than I do.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you're from Indiana, so you don't know from grits anymore than I do.  

I live and was born in IN.  My family is from KY.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Bob Evans also serves a pretty mean breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey it's your grits, but I just go with salt, pepper and butter. maybe an overeasy egg on top
In the Army, I would see people eat them with milk and sugar.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey it's your grits, but I just go with salt, pepper and butter. maybe an overeasy egg on top

OK, I'll try the salt/pepper/butter routine next time.  Thanks for setting me straight.  Now if I'm ever in Alabama I won't have people around me recoiling in disgust as I pour honey onto my grits.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd love to eat at Cracker Barrel more if I didn't get explosive bowel movements from them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I'll try the salt/pepper/butter routine next time.  Thanks for setting me straight.  Now if I'm ever in Alabama I won't have people around me recoiling in disgust as I pour honey onto my grits.  

I thought grits were basically pin oats or cream of wheatish type grain cereal.

Therefore, what the heck is wrong with putting honey on them?

How about some brown sugar maybe?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Uncle Hershel's with a Pork Chop, 2 eggs over medium, Grits, Hashbrown

Mmmmm..mmmmm!  Bring some A1 sauce too please

I'll have the same, please.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Now why in the world would you want to ruin perfectly good grits with something like honey? Just kidding, I know you Yankees don't know any better! Actually, I may have to try that honey thing one of these days, if I can make myself do it.

ETA: When I was at Camp Lejeune I saw guys eat grits all kinds of ways. I would put onions, jalapenos and cheese in mine sometimes if it was available.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Momma's Pancake Breakfast...with Blueberry cakes.  Bacon well done...or sometimes sausage.  Eggs medium.

Hashbrown casserole on the side.

Large OJ.

Coffee.

A REAL gutbuster.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Grits!  You can't eat grits without some extra dark molasses to put on them.  My grandma used to fix us grandkids grits with chopped bacon mixed up in them, put an over easy egg on top of that, salt and pepper and couple of table spoons of extra dark molasses to top it all off.   Yummmmmmy!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clearly not everybody shares your opinion.    What are some other common variations?  Educate me.

Sugar and butter or salt and peppa.  Never mix the four...doesn't work.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I like Uncle Cracka!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#36]
When I was down south, I wasn't sure about all the desegragation all you know the Crowe laws and stuff. So, just to be safe, I ate all my meals at the Cracker barrel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
When I was down south, I wasn't sure about all the desegragation all you know the Crowe laws and stuff. So, just to be safe, I ate all my meals at the Cracker barrel.

When the first Cracker Barrel opened in 1969 Jim Crow laws were a thing of the past, even here in the Deep South...

... but nice Southerner-stereotyping and race-baiting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Cracker Barrel is to a GOOD SOUTHERN FOOD/BREAKFAST

what

Pizza Hut is to good NY pizza.

Commercialized slop.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#39]
No pics but it sounds good 10+
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
We just opened one in my town.
The first time it was slow service every one was new.
Yesterday after church the food just sucked!

I've been to a few hundred different better ones (I travel alot)
I guess it will get better.

Like you, I've been to Cracker Barrels all over the country.  One night I ate at the CB on the east side of Indianapolis and got served lukewarm roast beef.  This was back in the day when fast food places were getting bad publicity for making people sick with less than fully cooked meat.  Anyway, when I paid my bill the affirmative action clerk who took my money chucked when I told her about the temperature of the beef.  She said, "Oh, guess we'll have to do something about that," and chuckled some more.  That really pissed me off.

As soon as I got into the car I wrote down the name on her name tag including other pertinent details.  Back at my office I sent a detailed complaint letter to Cracker Barrel HQ.  Within a week I received a nice reply from CB including a voucher for $30.  My meal, including tip, hadn't been more than ten bucks.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Bob Evans also serves a pretty mean expensive breakfast.

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I eat my grits with sugar and butter.  I've been told that's unusual for a Born-And-Raised Southerner, but that's how my parents (also BAR-Southerners) eat them, so that's how I learned to eat them.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Love those grits.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Wow I am Druling!!
I only go to CB when I travel and its been too long!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#45]
BTW cracker barrel is the only place where you can quickly experience ya arterie clogging...
What a way to go!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Country Boy Breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Bob Evans also serves a pretty mean breakfast.

No Sweet Tea!

They are stupid for not having it. It would increase there business at least 25%.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#48]
No one else puts Tabasco on their grits?

SBG
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I used to love the Baked Country Breakfast, basically a big ham, egg, and cheese omlette or soufle. You had to get there early, because they only made so many first thing, and when they were gone, they were gone.Then they switched it from country ham to "city" sugar cured ham. Then it disappeared altogether.

Now it is the Sunrise Sampler.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Cracker Barrel is to a GOOD SOUTHERN FOOD/BREAKFAST what Pizza Hut is to good NY pizza.

Commercialized slop.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

I've been eating at CBs all over the South when travelling for as long as I can remember and, while it doesn't hold a candle to my wife's home cooking, or my Mom's, etc., I know I can count on them for a good meal, good coffee, and (usually) good service in almost any town through which I pass.  I've never had a bad meal at a CB and, in fact, have enjoyed some very good ones over the years - YMMV, of course.  (BTW, our local ones here are excellent!)

Don't get me wrong - if I know of a good local restaurant or have a recommendation from a local friend, I'll opt for trying something new.  But if I'm travelling, lack better intel, and have to eat at a chain anyway (I don't roll the dice with unknown local "Mom & Pop's" - too many years in Public Health ), it's going to be a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top