Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 5:42:17 AM EDT
I've had some crabgrass take over spots of the lawn this year.  Aside from nuking it, applying fire or napalm, does anyone have a recommendation on a liquid crabgrass killer that I can use to eradicate this stuff to prepare for some overseeding in the fall?

Is something like this what I'm looking for?  Anyone have experience with it?  http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/drive-xlr8-herbicide-crabgrass-killer-p-1520.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand, you need pre-emergent stuff to kill crabgrass in early spring, it's pretty futile to kill it in summer/fall.

If that's not correct, this will serve as a tag.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Crabgrass dies over the winter, just leave it alone for now its best to put down pre-em in the spring to prevent it from germinating.  Anything you put down now will affect your seed germination in the fall.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Ortho weed b gon plus crabgrass control...

Buy the one that attaches to a hose, it's the concentrate and will do about 10000sf

READ the directions...apply when it's growing, not dormant.

Just did my lawn last week and it's working as advertised.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Baking soda will kill it, just sprinkle some over the top of it before a rain.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy the one that attaches to a hose, it's the concentrate and will do about 10000sf

View Quote

This.

Directions state to use after a cut, and also state the "good temperature range" during which to use.
I've used this before with success.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want to kill weeds that are not on a lawn, try Thompson's water seal.

Best weed killer on the planet.
Discovered it on accident...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm tagging this thread.

...unfortunately, if I kill my crabgrass, I pretty much won't have a lawn anymore. I don't actually cut my grass, I cut my weeds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've had some crabgrass take over spots of the lawn this year. Aside from nuking it, applying fire or napalm, does anyone have a recommendation on a liquid crabgrass killer that I can use to eradicate this stuff to prepare for some overseeding in the fall?

Is something like this what I'm looking for? Anyone have experience with it? http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/drive-xlr8-herbicide-crabgrass-killer-p-1520.html
View Quote

Pre=emergent (prodiamine) +

MSMA will kill the shit out of it, but is restricted in many states, and it also kills st augustine/centipied. Works well with bermuda. I have 5 gallons of it and use 2Tbs to kill all my crabgrass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you want to kill weeds that are not on a lawn, try Thompson's water seal.

Best weed killer on the planet.

Discovered it on accident...
View Quote

Oops.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#10]
You've already found the best post-emergent crabgrass control available. Follow the directions, make sure it doesn't get rained on within an hour, and you will put a serious hurt on the crabgrass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Sheep, horses, or cows.  Crabgrass has more nutrition than Bermuda grass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Pull it by hand. Pre treat early spring for next year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

MSMA will kill the shit out of it, but is restricted in many states, and it also kills st augustine/centipied. Works well with bermuda. I have 5 gallons of it and use 2Tbs to kill all my crabgrass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had some crabgrass take over spots of the lawn this year. Aside from nuking it, applying fire or napalm, does anyone have a recommendation on a liquid crabgrass killer that I can use to eradicate this stuff to prepare for some overseeding in the fall?

Is something like this what I'm looking for? Anyone have experience with it? http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/drive-xlr8-herbicide-crabgrass-killer-p-1520.html

MSMA will burn zoysia if applied in the summer. If you have to use it on zoysia wait a few days and water the heck out of it for a week or so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS.

I've gone through a ton of it trying to get my yard back under control(1/3 acre). I was badly injured last August and couldn't really care for my yard properly till a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm tagging this thread.

...unfortunately, if I kill my crabgrass, I pretty much won't have a lawn anymore. I don't actually cut my grass, I cut my weeds.
View Quote

^ this. I can't grow grass to save my life, but I can grow the fuck out of some weeds! At least they're green weeds
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy the premix Roundup.  Add about 3 tablespoons of 2,4D.  Spray.  

Deal with it next spring.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I put out bermuda sod last year and it had some crabgrass in it. I put down pre emergence late in the winter before the bermuda went green, and when the spring rolled around, very little of the crabgrass returned. I have the "10 a day rule" for me...every day I go out to pick out 10 weeds in the grass. I usually get a lot more than that, but it has really helped me get rid of the crabgrass.

You should note that most of  those chemicals for the lawn are "broad leaf weed killers". A tree is a broad leaf plant, and the chemicals will kill or do severe damage  to a  tree.

Go to a nursery and buy vinegar. It is much more acidic than what you have in your pantry. It usually comes in 1 gallon containers. Put it in a pump sprayer and spray it on the crabgrass when the sun is right over head. Talk to your nursery man about this vinegar. It is safe to use around trees.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pull it by hand. Pre treat early spring for next year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll give this a try and do a better job with the preemergent treatments next spring.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSMA is excellent for crabgrass, but unfortunately it's no longer in production. I have a small stash of it, and coincidentally just applied some 3 days ago. The crabgrass outbreak in my yard is now the color of straw.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#23]
You know who else wanted uniformity and to kill what was different.

The Nazis
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#24]
For the second year in a row I have a bunch of Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) Growing in my front and back yards. It's a freaking weed and a very healthy to eat plant.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]
If it wasn't for crab grass I wouldn't have a lawn lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The Nazis
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

MSMA is excellent for crabgrass, but unfortunately it's no longer in production. I have a small stash of it, and coincidentally just applied some 3 days ago. The crabgrass outbreak in my yard is now the color of straw.

View Quote
it is in production, and you can get it at most rural coops if you look. I know you can get it in tx and ok, nc has one of the largest distributors of it in the country-where i got mine

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm taking my container to the bank vault!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Nazis
View Quote

You win the Golden Iron Cross for Best Use of Godwin's Law as a Non-Sequitur
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Q4 works well look it up
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give you $400 for it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
it is in production, and you can get it at most rural coops if you look. I know you can get it in tx and ok, nc has one of the largest distributors of it in the country-where i got mine

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm. I stand partially corrected. Apparently what's happened is that the EPA partially backed off on their 12/31/2010 ban just long enough to allow it for golf courses, farms and highway rights-of way, per the attached:

http://www.drexchem.com/Portals/0/Documents/2-20-13%20MSMA%20continues%20to%20be%20on%20the%20market.pdf

It's still not available in homeowner packaging, so I guess that's why people are talking about 5 gal cans of it. I guess maybe there's still hope when my supply runs out.

ETA: Haha. Just checked and a 5 gal jug of it is $167.95. Yikes!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#33]
average homeowner cannot buy it here any longer. of course if you know a cotton farmer .. then yes you can still get some.

stupid EPA
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are we talking crabgrass or dallisgrass?  I know MSMA is awesome on dallisgrass but I'd kind of like to be sure for the OP's sake that we discuss the right things.

Lots of people I know call dallisgrass crabgrass and I'm pretty sure they are totally different plants.

ETA: I'm no lawn expert this is just what I learned trying to get rid of dallisgrass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never worked for me.  Sprayed the lawn every week from early march til may.  Yard is 50% crabgrass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I follow a few rules of thumb where my entire neighborhood is basically overrun with crabgrass but my lawn is >98% crabgrass free. It's laborious and costs a few dollars and you have to keep up on it:

I cut short and aerate in the late fall, generously overseed, and then apply a winter fertilizer both with a drop spreader. In the spring, I de-thatch and then apply the Scots weed-n-feed with the "Halts" pre-emergent. I apply slightly more in my trouble areas, as in turn the dial up on my spreader 1/4 to 1/2 more product.

For general weed control I spray my entire lawn with Weed-b-Gon by Ortho. I've also been using an anti-fungus granule.

It's a lot of work and expense, it will take seasons (plural) to turn a lawn around. My shit ain't the best in the world but it's the best in my 'Hood.

I've found that once it's growing, live with it. Stuff that will kill it will harm your grass in most cases. A thick healthy lawn will crowd out most weeds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top