Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2009 8:28:14 AM EST
Looking around hunting sites and whatnot I have noticed a lot of talk about predator hunting. Coyotes seem to be the main game hunted. My question is, why? Do you eat them? I've never seen a mounted head, so i assume that isn't it. Is it just to keep them away from other stuff? Just curious as to what the purpose of coyote hunting is. And, for those who do it, do you use an AR?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:55 AM EST
they are varmints who eat chickens, among other reasons.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:30:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By 951bulldog:
Looking around hunting sites and whatnot I have noticed a lot of talk about predator hunting. Coyotes seem to be the main game hunted. My question is, why? Do you eat them? I've never seen a mounted head, so i assume that isn't it. Is it just to keep them away from other stuff? Just curious as to what the purpose of coyote hunting is. And, for those who do it, do you use an AR?

I hunt them because they kill my goats. I have used an AR, but I tend to use whatever is sitting by the door on the way out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:48 AM EST
they are pests. killed when seen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:32:50 AM EST
Coyotes in most areas don't have a natural predator. They kill and eat domestic animals and farm animals, they breed in litters of multiple young and if they're hungry enough then they are a threat to small children. Keeping the coyote population in check is a necessity.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:50 AM EST

One of the local Walmarts has a full body coyote mount in their sporting goods dept.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:51 AM EST
I imagine the reasons vary wildly. Generally speaking, they are regarded by some to be nothing more than a pest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:33:59 AM EST
A guy I work with has a small cattle ranch (60 head or so) he loses about 2 or 3 calf's a year to Coyotes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:34:11 AM EST
OK, so after you kill one, what do you do with it? Throw it away? Bury it? I've seen coyote recipes online, but do a lot of people actually eat them? What do they taste like?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:34:27 AM EST
To kill them of course. Usually use a .270.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:34:39 AM EST

Are you from PETA?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:05 AM EST
I imagine the reasons vary wildly. Generally speaking, they are regarded by some to be nothing more than a pest.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:35:49 AM EST by osprey21]

OK, so after you kill one, what do you do with it? Throw it away? Bury it? I've seen coyote recipes online, but do a lot of people actually eat them? What do they taste like?

I let 'em lay where they fall.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:25 AM EST

Launch it from a catapult.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:29 AM EST

I leave them, buzzards dispose of them in a day or two.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:39 AM EST
Coyotes are horrible, nasty, evil creatures who live to kill, maim, torture, and generally fuck up everything else.

They also fuck like bunny rabbits and wherever resources are avalible, they procreate in large numbers.

I fucking hate the damn things and kill them with prejudice whenever possible.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:36:50 AM EST by DemonicLemming]
They kill a lot of lambs/sheep where I hunt, and even occasionally a calf. Terrorize the dogs, chickens, etc. I haven't done it much, but used my .270 when I did.....couple of the guys I went with used everything from a .223 (non-AR) to a .330 Win Mag to a .45-120.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:35:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:36:46 AM EST by RikWriter]
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Coyotes in most areas don't have a natural predator. They kill and eat domestic animals and farm animals, they breed in litters of multiple young and if they're hungry enough then they are a threat to small children. Keeping the coyote population in check is a necessity.

Bring in wolves...they love to kill coyotes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:38:21 AM EST
They are also in season usually year round.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:39:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:41:41 AM EST by hushpuppy]

To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:00 AM EST
I have a pond in back with ducks in it.

I had chickens last year.

I've got rabbits running around that I enjoy watching.

Those are my three reasons for killing coyotes.

As far as mounting goes, none for me, but here's a good one for you.

My neighbor down the road's dog chewed on my wading boots that I had left out to dry. Not cheap boots either.
Two days later, I popped a coyote, got to thinking, hmm bet I can put the fear of good into the owner of that dog.
I skinned him out, shoved a clost rod right through him, and mounted him on a couple of sawhorses in my neighbors yard under the cover of darkness.
There was a message on a box end in front of him..... "Hey is this your dog?"

Didn't have any more problems with his dog coming around my house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:02 AM EST
In our area the kill livestock and family pets.

Being at the top of the predators list in TN, their numbers have grown unchecked and they have become quite a nuisance.

If they aren't hunted they get out of control.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By DDiggler:

Launch it from a catapult.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:41:22 AM EST by 951bulldog]
Originally Posted By hoodonit00:

Are you from PETA?

Ya, I'm from PETA. Did you read the post? It specifically says, just curious. Learn to read for comprehension.

So, from what I'm hearing, they are basically just moving targets. I wonder if I can hunt them around here, it sounds fun. It seems .270 is the suggested round, but will a .223 do the job? The coyotes around here are scrawny, mangy little fuckers for the most part. I would imagine a .223 would do the job.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:42:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I have a pond in back with ducks in it.

I had chickens last year.

I've got rabbits running around that I enjoy watching.

Those are my three reasons for killing coyotes.

As far as mounting goes, none for me, but here's a good one for you.

My neighbor down the road's dog chewed on my wading boots that I had left out to dry. Not cheap boots either.
Two days later, I popped a coyote, got to thinking, hmm bet I can put the fear of good into the owner of that dog.
I skinned him out, shoved a clost rod right through him, and mounted him on a couple of sawhorses in my neighbors yard under the cover of darkness.
There was a message on a box end in front of him..... "Hey is this your dog?"

Didn't have any more problems with his dog coming around my house.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:16 AM EST

Are you from PETA?

Ya, I'm from PETA. Did you read the post? It specifically says, just curious. Learn to read for comprehension.

So, from what I'm hearing, they are basically just moving targets. I wonder if I can hunt them around here, it sounds fun. It seems .270 is the suggested round, but will a .223 do the job? The coyotes around here are scrawny, mangy little fuckers for the most part. I would imagine a .223 would do the job.

Heck, .22 Magnum will work just fine. I just like the handloads I put thru the 270.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:27 AM EST
Mangy pests kill our rabbits. Only good legal "moving" target around here that's suitable for hi-power most of the year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By GrumpyM4:
Coyotes are horrible, nasty, evil creatures who live to kill, maim, torture, and generally fuck up everything else.

They also fuck like bunny rabbits and wherever resources are avalible, they procreate in large numbers.

Wow.....that wasn't rife with overreaction.....no sir.

Let's see. Coyotes are intelligent social predators that are victims of their own success. Their ability to adapt easily to the changes that humans make to the environment means that we cross paths far too often and they become a problem for ranchers and a threat to small children......hence the unfortunate need to keep their numbers in check.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:49:07 AM EST by Cyclic240B]

Exactly. We have packs of those demons running around here. It is all rural forested land. So being that my closest neighbor raises poultry, the bastards are at my house every night stalking his turkeys and chickens. So I do my part in thinning them out....from the comfort of my elevated deck (I feel for you guys that have to travel to hunt them little bastards).

ETA:

They rot where they fall usually. Unless it is in the mowed portion of our back yard that is. Then they get dumped in the woods...to rot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:44:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By osprey21:

OK, so after you kill one, what do you do with it? Throw it away? Buryit? I've seen coyote recipes online, but do a lot of people actuallyeat them? What do they taste like?

I let 'em lay where they fall.

Remember children Nature does NOT waste meat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:44:48 AM EST
To hunt the hunter.

Predator Vs predator.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:45:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 8:47:27 AM EST by hoodonit00]

Are you from PETA?

Well gee. Looking at your post count and knowing that some newer posters are trolls I was just trying to discern whether or not you were asking a legitimate question or trying to start a predator hunters are cruel thread. I didn't realize that asking if you were from PETA was a COC violation but I'm sure calling someone a dumbass is.

Yea nice edit bulldog.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:46:08 AM EST
Here we consider the coyote on our side. The help control ground hogs, mice, gray squirrels, rabbits and feral cats. All but the cats pose a hazard to orchard trees.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:46:41 AM EST
Because they are problematic to livestock and domestic animals.

They are considered a pest in Ohio and are the only thing you may hunt with a long arm in Ohio.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:47:01 AM EST
Coyotes are like meat eating rabbits that carry infections.

A natural life cycle would be overpopulation and then starvation when the food runs out. When you introduce livestock or other controlled food sources into their environment the food never runs out and nature is no longer able to regulate the population. Often they are not hunted for food, merely asset protection and population regulation.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:48:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

Bring in wolves...they love to kill coyotes.

The USFWS reintroduced red wolves here at the coast 20 or so years ago. They've actually done a credible job of reducing coyote predation based on reports from farmers and landowners. I'm not aware of any negative issues.

Out west seems to be a different story, though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:50:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By AMG08:
they are pests. killed when seen.

+1

There's no closed season, no bag limit or firearms restriction except during deer season here in Ohio on 'yotes.

Same as groundhogs.

Kill on sight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:51:26 AM EST

We have a whole shit load of coyotes around here. And I have pets, chickens, and cattle. Never had a problem with the coyotes.
Never even once. If I do they will be dealt with. Until then they are just another critter in the woods.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:51:36 AM EST

What he said.

GA has no "closed" season on Coyote's as far as I know, kill them where you find them.

The yote below had the misfortune of trying to attack one of my turkey decoys this past spring.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:53:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By navvet89:

What he said.

GA has no "closed" season on Coyote's as far as I know, kill them where you find them.

The yote below had the misfortune of trying to attack one of my turkey decoys this past spring.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n278/navvet89/145_4595.jpg

Good shoot!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:53:55 AM EST

The vultures will clean the carcass in a few days, and the possum, raccoon, and what-not will eat most of the bones.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:55:44 AM EST
Because they can fly, dude. Do you want flying yotes around you? I sure don't. Kill 'em all, I say!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:56:27 AM EST
Blah
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:56:39 AM EST
My cousin uses a rabbit call and sits in his deer stand within 2 minutes he’ll see one, he uses a 17HMR says it does a fine job.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:57:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By PixelPusher:

Wow.....that wasn't rife with overreaction.....no sir.

Let's see. Coyotes are intelligent social predators that are victims of their own success. Their ability to adapt easily to the changes that humans make to the environment means that we cross paths far too often and they become a problem for ranchers and a threat to small children......hence the unfortunate need to keep their numbers in check.

You apparently havn't heard and seen them hunt family livestock, rabbits, and family pets.

I have.

The torment they put their prey through is pretty fucked up.

You see them as intelligent social predators, whereas I see them as the psychotic murderers of the animal kingdom. I've heard their packs hunt at night and then seen the results in the morning. Not pretty.

Perhaps the packs I experienced and happily hunted when I lived in Nevada are different the the soft, fuzzy, cuddly little pups that play hide and go seek with the animals in your area, but my experience with the fuckers justifies my reaction to their existence.

I have nothing nice to say about coyotes, and just because you admire their destructive and sadistic traits, it doesn't mean that my point of view isn't justified.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:13 AM EST
Until someone told me that if I move to Texas I might have a problem with a pack of females in heat drawing out my Airedale Terrier and killing him I thought nothing of it.

Now that I am informed, if I move to Texas I will blow every one of the little cock huggers on my property to hell.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:15 AM EST
You guys are full of crap. You don't actually go to a strip club for the good iced tea do you? You guys just shoot them for fun, just admit it, you could care less about the whole balance of predator prey thing.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By tep0583
They are considered a pest in Ohio and are the only thing you may hunt with a long arm in Ohio.

Not correct, Sir.

Fox, Raccoon, Skunk, Opossum, Weasel

November 10

January 31, 2010

No Limit

Crow
Fri. Sat. Sun. Only

June 5

March 14, 2010

No Limit

Coyote

No closed season for hunting or trapping

No Limit

Wild boar

No closed season for hunting

No Limit

Groundhog

Closed during deer gun season only

No Limit

Any of the above may be taken with a centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:01:40 AM EST
"Why not?" seems like a better question.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:01:40 AM EST

Around here, they aren't just "moving targets;" they cause damage to property, decimate deer and other game animal populations, attack and kill family pets, shred trash bags set to the curb, and more recently they have started attacking people. In this area and up into Canada, coyotes have cross-bred with gray wolves and are bigger, meaner, run in packs and are therefore more dangerous. They need to be dealt with, and people are their only natural predator. Like it or not, people are an important part of a healthy ecosystem and we have a job to do as an apex predator.

In NY, 'yotes can be taken at will during fur bearing season, no limits. Their pelts have limited value.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:02:03 AM EST
.223 with a 60gr nosler partition is the medicine I use in my Bushy Predator. Wouldn't eat them, but do save every pelt I get, I hang'em, very nice fur. They can be quite rank so if you're gonna skin'em be prepared. They're predatory habits is what does them in, as other's have mentioned. They are also pure death on ground nesting birds....specifically turkey's up here in the northeast, but pets are also high up on the list of tidbits they'll consume, not to mention small game. They are VERY smart. I repeat, would NOT eat one.....unless I were absolutely FORCED to.

RG
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top