PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/19/2010 4:46:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2010 6:47:04 AM EDT by OhioLibertarian]
Last night around 11:30, we were having a really bad thunderstorm. Our dog Jake started barking like mad, so I turned on the porch light and what do I see?? A coyote on our porch that has Jake backed in to his dog box.

I yell "Shit! Coyote!" to my dad and his girlfriend who are in the kitchen, and go and run to get a pistol.

The only one I had loaded was my Walther PPK/S, so I grab it up and run back downstairs. The coyote is now standing in front of the screen door growling at my dad and his girlfriend. It won't let us outside, so I grab the closest thing I can to hit it with –– a Swiffer mop thing (haha!)... I cracked open the door and started yelling and prodding at it to try to get it to run away, but it just growls more at me, so I take a full power swing and break the swiffer over its head into a couple dozen pieces. It yelps and jumps down the two stairs to the sidewalk and stands their growling. Not wanting to shoot from inside the house, I step out on to the porch and triple tapped it with .380 Gold Dots. It yelped and dropped, DRT.

Jake runs over and starts barking at it and realizes its dead, and PISSES ON IT????

It was total pitch black except the porch light, so I didn't get a perfect hit in. The first shot hit it in front of the left leg and penetrated all the way through. I found the smashes hollow point filled with hair on the sidewalk this morning. The second shot hit it in the throat, and the third in the chest.

––––––––––––-

So I am still having trouble getting pictures off my camera, but I got one, its an overhead shot of the .380 Gold Dot that I recovered that went through and through. It was filled with hair and bits of meat so I cleaned it for the picture.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:50:37 AM EDT
Ruckus on your porch at 11:30 pm and you didn't grab a gun before going to investigate?  Fail.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:52:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Ruckus on your porch at 11:30 pm and you didn't grab a gun before going to investigate?  Fail.

This is the middle of the woods, the dog is always tearing up possums and raccoons :) he usually handles his business without intervention.

Plus my dad's girlfriend is a libtard (I am living with him while I renovate my house) and he has asked me to keep loaded guns in my room.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:53:44 AM EDT
Guess he isn't used to living in the country.

I live in Rural Ohio, and past 9pm we NEVER left the house without a rifle, or a baseball bat (but most of the time both). We've had packs of wild dogs/coyotes attack animals around here, it's just a fact of life and you prepare for it...........unlike city slickers :D

What's your issue with shooting from inside the house?  Sounds like someone doesn't practice for such things.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:54:06 AM EDT
Pics or it didn't happen....
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:54:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By OhioLibertarian:

This is the middle of the woods, the dog is always tearing up possums and raccoons :) he usually handles his business without intervention.

Plus my dad's girlfriend is a libtard (I am living with him while I renovate my house) and he has asked me to keep loaded guns in my room.

This could be a good opportunity to change that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:56:35 AM EDT
How small is your dog that a single coyote thinks it would be a good meal?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:56:43 AM EDT
I've never heard of one that aggressive unless it was sick.  I would be careful of how I disposed of it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:56:53 AM EDT
 The dog was like "fuck you! I have a human! I piss on you now!"
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:57:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

What's your issue with shooting from inside the house?  Sounds like someone doesn't practice for such things.

Well, lets see, coyote is here, my dog is right next to it, the only way I could've shot it while on the porch is either:

A) Go gangster and just put the pistol out there sideways around the door and shoot blindly

B) Step outside and tangle with it from about 2 feet away or

C) Get something to hit it with to create some distance and then engage.

I chose C.

You fuckers sure are feeling cranky today aren't you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:58:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BR870:
Pics or it didn't happen....

Pics of dead varmint.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:59:00 AM EDT

Glad you took care of business and dispatched the coyote.  

Since you're in the middle of the woods with critters running around you might want to keep your AR or a shotgun loaded and ready for action.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:00:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Coltman77:

Glad you took care of business and dispatched the coyote.  

Since you're in the middle of the woods with critters running around you might want to keep your AR or a shotgun loaded and ready for action.

Absolutely. I am going through a divorce (thread in Team) and my best friend is holding all but 3 of my guns. So I currently have no ARs, just a PPK/s, and two double barrel shotguns that were already at my dad's.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:01:45 AM EDT

~snip~

Jake runs over and starts barking at it and realizes its dead, and PISSES ON IT????

~snip~

So much win.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:03:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:06:20 AM EDT by Snake_driver]
I can remember a time not too long ago when coyotes would not come anywhere near humans.  Now they seem to have lost that fear and do like the one that came up to your house.  Around here in SW Florida they have taken to running up on people walking their little foo-foo dogs in the sub-divisions and grabbing the little pooch right off the leash.  These are not rabid 'yotes either.  I guess it has to do with all the encroachment on their natural habitat.

I agree, had I heard the ruckis on the porch at 11:30 at night, the 12 ga. or the 9mm Glock would have been in my hand when I went to investigate.  Among the two-legged cridders and the 'yotes, we also have gators, panthers and black bear to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:05:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:06:36 AM EDT by Grunteled]

Well, lets see, coyote is here, my dog is right next to it, the only way I could've shot it while on the porch is either:

A) Go gangster and just put the pistol out there sideways around the door and shoot blindly

I chose C.

Some people are not whole unless they get a chance to dispence thier tactical prowess by nit-picking everything you do.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:05:26 AM EDT

'TAKE THAT ...WILEY E. !! '

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:06:47 AM EDT
So no pictures.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:07:22 AM EDT
That's extremely odd behavior for a yote.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:07:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
So no pictures.  

I've got pictures of the blood and the recovered .380 slug on my phone, trying to upload them now. We threw the coyote over the hill so I'd have to go over there tonight after work to snap pics.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:07:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:07:52 AM EDT by OhioLibertarian]
double tap!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:07:58 AM EDT
Good shoot. Glad your dog is OK.

It's always interested to see willing coyotes are willing to put up with people.

A few years back we had one right on the fence harassing the dogs. It saw me and stood there so I ran to my gear grabbed my 226 and was going to test out the 357sig round on a coyote.

As It turned the corner I think he realized I had something and bolted.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:18:52 AM EDT
Piss on you coyote!

No pics.  Someone had a gator attack his dog, we saw pics.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:21:53 AM EDT
Sup with the R. Kelly dog?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:23:00 AM EDT
Oh, and what kind of dog?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:25:05 AM EDT

I chose C.

Sorry, I would have been repairing a door with bullet holes from my AR in it, from the aggression you described my first thought was Rabies.  Coyotes are usually very timid and run from humans, they shouldnt stand and become aggressive to them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:25:11 AM EDT
Good shoot.  But, your dog is a pussy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:26:04 AM EDT
pistol belongs on hip when at home
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:32:23 AM EDT

I would have pissed on that POS coyote too.

Coyotes move in packs, so it is likeley that there were more out there that you did'nt see.

Keep a coyote gun ready next time.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:38:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kuraki:
That's extremely odd behavior for a yote.

It is??

I grew up in southern california and I remember that the coyote attacks were always at night, they are nocturnal animals, that is when they are on the move.

The only good yote is a dead one!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:42:13 AM EDT
Tagged for dinner pic.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:44:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:48:51 AM EDT by _DR]
We get Coyotes all the time.

We also have a fence around our backyard.

I like them around, keeps the rabbits and rodents down.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:47:05 AM EDT by _DR]

What's your issue with shooting from inside the house?  

If you are not shooting at an intruder, or the Mother-in-Law is not in the house,  it's just plain bad manners.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:47:08 AM EDT
A couple of months ago my neighbor had his little dog outside while he was messing around in the garage.  The dog went into the backyard to sniff around/piss.  The guy heard the dog screaming bloody murder.  He ran out and saw a cayote with the dog by the ass headed to the woods.  The neighbor grabbed a stick and yelled at the cayote and it dropped the little dog.  Dog had a hell of a time from infection though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:52:08 AM EDT

Not to tell you how to live, but where I do, the time spent running upstairs to obtain a loaded firearm could quite possibly result in a home invasion becoming successful to the perps.

My 1911 stays loaded in condition 1 inside a handgun vault within easy reach of my wife or me.

Better safe than sorry.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 5:53:57 AM EDT by RePp]
meh living on a ranch in NV yotes were always coming up to the house to do battle with the dogs. Most ended up getting AR15. I even ended up popping the screen from the front window so I didnt even have to get cold
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:59:00 AM EDT
The proper procedure is to shoot center body, and call whatever disease control agency you have in your area. They want the brain to determine if it was rabid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:01:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 6:07:22 AM EDT by hushpuppy]
we have tons of 'yotes around here ...

1) that aint normal behavior for a coyote ... killing your dog is perfectly normal,  but not bracing your family on their own front porch

GET IT CHECKED FOR RABIES ... AND NEVER TOUCH ANY ANIMAL THAT ACTS THAT WAY

2) get a bigger dog or keep the current one in the house, we have an american bulldog and pit/lab cross that killed a small 'yote earlier this summer ...
and i still don't keep them outside ...

one on one either of them can make short work of a coyote but coyotes are predators and don't fight fair ...

i really admire the coyote but the neighbors and i kill them on sight because they

A)are a threat to my animals and kids (if you don't believe that then you are clueless) and

B) it keeps them respectfull and cautious around humans

3) Keep a pistol close from now on ... 'yotes are like rats ... if you see one there's a dozen more you don't see

for reference to all the city boys who are gonna cry that the coyote is harmless and no threat to people;

http://varmintal.com/attac.htm
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:10:31 AM EDT
What kind of dog is it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:16:33 AM EDT
I'm wondering about rabies as well.

We've had a damned pack, or mom and her pups, move in the area. I hear them roaming just about every night. Problem is, they always choose to come onto my property at the precise time when I'm in such deep sleep I can't seem to get up in time to grab the rifle to shoot them!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:24:17 AM EDT

I live in Rural Ohio, and past 9pm we NEVER left the house without a rifle, or a baseball bat (but most of the time both). We've had packs of wild dogs/coyotes attack animals around here, it's just a fact of life and you prepare for it...........unlike city slickers :D

Sounds like someone who has never shot inside.

No, reason to blow out an ear drum to shoot a coyote when he could just take two steps forward.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:26:02 AM EDT
I found the smashes hollow point filled with hair on the sidewalk this morning.

Did the Gold Dot expand?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:27:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 94NDTA:
What kind of dog is it?

a half grown lassie collie.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:28:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By callgood:
I found the smashes hollow point filled with hair on the sidewalk this morning.

Did the Gold Dot expand?

negative, .380 gold dot did not expand. I am guessing it got filled with hair and then hit a major bone, because one side of the hollow point was caved in, and the cavity was filled with hair.

I am trying to upload pictures from my phone but AT&T's network isnt sending them to my email.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:29:56 AM EDT
Isn't it time for the "pics or it didn't happen" response?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2010 6:45:42 AM EDT by nightstalker]
You should be more like your avatar, he's got two fistfulls of flying lead.    "Armed on the Porch?"  the new Arfcom question of the day.

This was a cool story, short, and lots of action and general chaos.   Not exactly an endorsement for Swiffers but we knew they were not equal to the old school mops right?

ETA I remember looking at houses on line and one was in Idaho near where my niece lives.   The photos showed a nice lever action sitting by the door and I immediately wanted to buy that house...   That's what living in the city and generally in CA will do to you.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:32:38 AM EDT
Yeah, I don't tolerate critters ejaculating on my porch. I don't care if it's a yote or a horny 16-yr-old trying to look at my daughter; they're DRT before the first drop hits. Good on ya for killing the bastid!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:39:05 AM EDT
Rabid
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:40:02 AM EDT
I live out in the country but still fairly close to town. I remember when I built a fence enclosing our backyard and my wife (girlfriend at the time) asked me why I was building the fence so high (6') for her two Pekingese. I explained that it was not to help keep them in but to keep other things out. When I explained about the coyotes we had around she just replied with is the fence high enough. We also have a lot of Racoon's around too so there seems to be baby racoons around quite often through the year. We have a baseball bat by each door and a loaded firearm w/a light close to each door also.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:40:29 AM EDT
take a full power swing and break the swiffer over its head into a couple dozen pieces.

Coyote can't take a full power swing
from a swiffer mop thing
that is swung
by OhioLibertarian.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:42:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RichardM308:
take a full power swing and break the swiffer over its head into a couple dozen pieces.

Coyote can't take a full power swing
from a swiffer mop thing
that is swung
by OhioLibertarian.

You're a poet and didn't even know it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top