Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/3/2006 12:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 10:46:31 AM EDT by 89grand]
So the first week of November I ordered HD cable and high speed internet service from Cox on the internet. I was given an install date on a week day about 2 weeks later between 1 – 3:00pm… I took half the day off from work to be there. The install guy shows up and starts looking around and went out into the alley behind my house then asked me “When was the last time this house was wired for cable?” I said “I don’t know, I’ve only lived here for 5 months”.

So the guy calls back to the office of Cox and asked them, they said it hadn’t been wired since 1988. He said I’d need a hard line drop (running the cable line from the box out in the alley, which required burying the line under the alley and through my back yard.), I asked how long it would take and he said 2 to 3 weeks.

Question: I wonder why someone at Cox didn’t just look up that information when I first placed the order so that I didn’t waste my time coming home for the install and they could have had the hard line drop process already moving, it only took the install tech 30 seconds to find out?

A few days later I called Cox to find out when the hard line drop would be done since “2 to 3 weeks” wasn’t very specific. They told me the hard line drop was scheduled for Dec. 9th and the actual install was scheduled for Dec. 10th, a Saturday, which worked out OK. Fast forward to Dec. 9th, I had a strange feeling I was going to get fucked and when I came home after work and looked in the back yard…you guessed it, no signs of a buried line back there.

I call Cox again to find out WTF, they told me they needed a permit from the City of Phoenix before they could bury the line and that that could take 4 to 6 weeks. I said “How come I was given a hard line drop and install appointment for Dec. 9th and 10th if they needed a permit?” The guy from Cox said “I guess whoever scheduled that thought the permit would be approved by then”.

Anyway, I’d already about had it with them at that point, but what could I do but wait some more. So a few weeks pass and I call Cox again since I hadn’t heard anything back from them, they told me the permit hadn’t been issued yet, but that they would contact me the following week and give me an update. Of course no one bothered to contact me so I call Cox again, and I was told the permit still wasn’t issued and that he would call me back the next week…again no one bothered calling me. So I call Cox AGAIN, this time the guy on the phone said that the permit was approved and that the hard line drop was scheduled for Jan.11th and the install on Jan. 12th.

This morning I get a call from the sub-contactor that’s doing the hard line drop and they tell me they are coming out tomorrow to do it. I said OK that’s cool, it’s a week before Cox said you were doing it. As much as I hated the thought of it, I called Cox again today to find out when the install would be done.

Cox: Can I help you?

Me: Yes, I need to get an install date because the hard line drop that was supposed to be done Jan. 11th is being done tomorrow.

Cox: I show it for Jan. 11th and the install Jan. 12th.

Me: I know, I just got off the phone with the sub-contractor, they’re doing it tomorrow so I need an install date.

Cox: You need to speak to someone in Technical Services:

Me: Yeah, whatever…on hold for 20 fucking minutes.

Cox: You need an install date?

Me: Yes!

Cox: Sunday between 3 and 5pm is the best we can do, is that alright?

Me: If that’s the best you can do then I guess it’s alright.

Cox: I need to fill out the service request and then you’ll…….silence, I got fucking disconnected!

I call Cox back again and talk to someone in customer service and explained all the shit that happened and that I need an install date because I wasn’t sure if the other shit went through before I got disconnected, but that I’m not going back through the whole loop again and being put on hold for 20 or more minutes.

Cox: How about Thursday between 8 and 10:am?

Me: (Saying to myself, WTF, someone just said Sunday was the best they could do) I said yeah, that’s fine.

Cox: Can you hold for a minute please while I enter this?

Me: Yeah, then on hold for about 8 minutes.

Cox: I’m having trouble entering the work order for the install, I need to speak to a supervisor can you hold please?

Me: Yeah I guess, then on hold for about 7 minutes.

Cox: I couldn’t enter that date because someone else must have taken it, we’ll schedule the install for Tuesday the 10th.

Me: That’s it, get a supervisor or manager on the line, this is the third install date I’ve received since I called you guy today, and I’ve been given nothing but the run-around for 2 months. I want the install done this week!

Cox: Can you hold please while I find a supervisor.

Me: Yeah, like I’ve got a choice.

Cox: I couldn’t find a manager, but I emailed the department that can manually enter install dates and asked them if they could enter you in for Thursday. A supervisor will call you if they can not do it, otherwise just assume that they’ll be doing it Thursday.

Me: Absolutely not! Cox has never once called me back since this whole thing started 2 months ago, I’m not going to take more time off of work when I still don’t know for sure whether the install is actually going to be done Thursday or not. I want the Supervisor to call me either way, whether it’s yes or no.

Cox: OK, sir.

Cox Cocks...Fucking unbelievable morons!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:27:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:28:36 PM EDT
heheheheheh you wrote 'cox sucks' hehehehehhe

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:29:19 PM EDT
The Cox cable guy scared my kitty.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:30:17 PM EDT
I've had 0 problems with them.

And I can't remember the last time I had an outage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:36:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

+1 and it worked a helluva lot better than this Verizon DSL I have now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:50:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandi:

+1 Best cable company i've had the pleasure of dealing with. or rather i never have any issues to deal with them about

-foxxz
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:52:28 PM EDT
At first I thought you were talking about MI Attorney General Mike Cox. I was gonna have to call you out if that was the case given the recent legalization of MGs and Silencers in MI.

I don't even think COX is available around here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:56:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

I've used their internet service before and it kicks ass, their cable and stuff might be great once you finally get it installed, they suck as far as I'm concerned because of what I've been having to go through with them just to get the damn shit installed.

That said, I'll post again on their cable, especially their HD service once it's finally hooked up. I looks like they're claiming Friday between 8 and 9:50am is the new install date.

We'll see if that holds true.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:12:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:33:09 PM EDT
I don't know if I'm getting any kind of upgrade or not. I believe at one time they ran the cable lines in the air like the telephone and power lines, I live in an old historic neighborhood. At some point they started running them underground. Mine was never ran under ground because the house hadn't had cable since 1988 according to them, and they just need to bury the line so I don't know if anything is upgraded or just simply under ground now.

Anyway my major complaints are their horrible customer service, no one seems to know what's going on, no ones on the same page, the numerous install dates they gave out that weren't valid and then after the last install was not done, only then did they tell me about needing a permit. I can completely understand that they could need a permit, what I can't understand is why I wasn't told that right off the bat instead of a month after I ordered the service.

I also can't understand why they wouldn't look up the info on when the house was last wired for cable right after I ordered the service, it only took the one tech like 30 seconds to find out. They should have checked this right after I placed the order, then they could have got the permit process started and told me what's up several weeks before they actually did do it. If they would have done that, I'd already have service by now.

Oh well, it supposed to be done Friday.

Hey I'm like a kid, I want my stuff right now, I hate waiting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:40:29 PM EDT
They ran mine from the street to my house (new house) underground, didn't charge a dime for it. Fairly good service from them here.

My complaints about them are the same that I have with any other cable company... I have to pay for 150 channels when I only watch 15 max.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 1:44:16 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
I would have lost my mind about halfway through the exchange you described.

Stuff like that drives me insane.

Good luck - hope it all works out smoothly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:51:35 PM EDT
only prob I had was with cable internet access turned out my router was dead and not sending DHCP info so not on there end. whoops my bad.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:28:53 PM EDT
I've been extremely happy with Cox cable and high speed internet except for the four day outage I had recently. The tech came out and looked at the outside cable box and said my apartment's connection was labled wrong and one of their techs disconnected me by mistake!!

He recommended I call and demand a refund for my downtown but I was just happy to have my connection back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:31:21 PM EDT
All I saw in the title was "Cox SUCKS!!!!!! ( fairly long....". Thats as far as I got
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:34:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
All I saw in the title was "Cox SUCKS!!!!!! ( fairly long....". Thats as far as I got

That's too bad...it's a good read.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:34:32 PM EDT
And to think, we came in here to get our cox sucked....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:35:10 PM EDT
Mine works great, 3 years running now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:39:38 PM EDT
Nomination for Best Thread Title Ever.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:24:01 PM EDT
89grand,

This is typical for Phoenix area Cox. I'm in the East Valley, and I had a HSI problem for 2 months. Every single dat at 1:30 I'd loose connectivity until 6:00. I had 5 scheduled work orders (they won't do a damn thing unti a tech comes out), and nobody ever showes up. They always gave some bs, such as they called and nobody answered. Then they claimed that they have the wrong phone number for me, but I informed them that I have Cox digital phone from them as well as HSI on the same account. They couldn't have the wrong phone number, and my phone work at the same time. Multiple promises of "manager callbacks". Multiple times of being hung-up on. Multiple lies over and over.

I think they have just gotten to the point where they are going to be as hated as Qwest/US West. Qwest finally got their act together when the state regulatory board took them to task. Perhaps it's time we did the same to Cox.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:31:36 PM EDT
Funny, I've had COX, Cable, Digital Phone and Digital Cable Internet for over seven years and they've been great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:17:34 PM EDT

This Summer I was having frequent outtages lasting from 10 minutes to 2 days . It took three different technicians to even find the problem . The first guy never took a piece of test eqpt. out of his van . He just told me that my whole house needed to be rewired . Thank you , GOODBYE !
The second guy changed a few splitters and called it good . The third guy actually did some real troubleshooting and found a bad cable underground . This whole process took over a week .

They are the only game in town . What can you do ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:21:53 PM EDT
does taxman still work for them?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:46:03 AM EDT
UPDATE! I'm still getting fucked.

So the sub-contractor of Cox that is supposed to run the line from the alley to my house called me Tuesday morning to tell me that they were coming out the next day to it. So I call Cox and spend an hour on the phone to get a install date from Cox. They finally gave me a date of Friday morning.

Wednesday I get home from work expecting to see the line ran in tha back yard, it wasn't done., but there was yellow painted lines in my back yard and in the alley marking the locations of the natural gas lines that they needed the permit for.

I called the sub-contractor to find out WTF, but they were already closed. I left them a message asking them to call me the next day and tell me when they were going to run the line. The next day, I of course don't get a phone call so I call them again, Cathy the office manager said that they couldn't run the line yet because Southwest Gas had not marked the lines yet. I told her that there was yellow painted lines all through the alley and in my back yard so they must have marked it. She said it does sound like it's marked so she's going to check on it and call me back.

Of course she does not call me back so I call here again yesterday afternoon, she says she still can't confirm that the gas lines were marked. I told her unless someone from Southwest Gas just went in the alley and my backyard to tag it up with yellow paint they marked the lines and if what I saw wasn't the lines marked then they must be planning on putting up neon signs to mark them. I also told here that I had an install date for Friday and that they needed to run the line by then. She assured my that the line would be done in time.

I get home yesterday, still no line ran. WTF?

I call them again last night and left them a message to call me first thing in the morning, because it was coming down to the wire for the install. Well of course no one called me and then the install guy shows up to do the install in the house (seperate sub-contrator for the outside line run). I said the jack asses that were supposed to run the outside line haven't run it yet and haven't called me back, I try calling them again on the spot, I keep getting an answering machine.

The guy says that he can't do the install until the outside line is run. I still can't get a hold of the other people so he leaves. Fuck, another half day of worked missed for no reason. I leave them another message to call me back right away and tell me what the fuck is going on with the line drop. That was at 9:45am, I still have not heard back from them. I then called Cox and asked that a Manager contacts me to get this shit worked out once and for all. I still have not heard from Cox either.

This is total bullshit, and there's nothing I can do about it. I don't even know why I was the one that had to try and organize the fucking install times, Cox should have been doing it, but tey weren't doing shit...and either are their sub-contractors.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:54:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 10:56:25 AM EDT by Dolomite]
Went through the ringer with Time-Warner years and years ago over different issues involving me wasting a couple of 1/2 days off work. The only "good" that came out of it was that I ended up talking to enough managers that I ended up with a couple of free PPV coupons. The fact that they thought that a couple of coupons would make everything all nice-nice only suceeded in making me more resentful.

I ended my service with T-W last year and while I miss having a cable modem, I have been enjoying analog cable for free.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:57:09 AM EDT
In our area of north-central VA, Cox is great. I can't say for the rest of the country tho...

I suspect that like here, Cox bought out a small cable company. It may help to send emails to Cox online and bitch to them.

I went through this about four years ago when they installed new fiber-optic cables in the streets and then ran the new lines to the boxes. Since then we've had outstanding service and quick responses to any outages.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 11:19:48 AM EDT by Hamel]
I have Cox (ETA....on reading that again it really didn't sound right) for HD cable/phone/internet.

The only this I've had a problem with is the On-demand features...sometimes slow or doesn't work at all for certain channels.

I must say the install guy was top notch (sub contractor). Did it all in under 2 hours (new house, so it needed wiring to the utility pole) and even turned down a tip. He told me a install like mine is a standard billing of 4-6 hours to Cox so it is in his favor to work faster.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:16:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:20:06 PM EDT
I used to work for Cox and frankly, this is rediculas. Ive never seen something take so long. Of course we didnt use sub-contractors either... I would have cancelled it all and gone Sat by now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:23:59 PM EDT
[hint]We have Dish Network and SBC DSL, and it's great[/hint]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:25:06 PM EDT
hehehe...

you said cox...

Do they have in Arizona?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:42:07 PM EDT
Cable companies can't dig until all utilities are marked and confirmed by the utility company. Once they are confirmed, the utility Co. takes the liability if a lin is hite that was not properly marked. Digging and hitting a line before it is marked AND confirmed is against the law and can be quite costly to repair. Yellow stands for gas or steam, so it looks like they did mark it.

Getting your drop from the street to your house is only going to be half the battle. You are going to need RG6 installed to every outlet you plan on having a TV or cable modem. More than likely you have RG59 in your house if you got anything at all. RG59 will not handle the digital cable. It was fine for forward signal but sucks for the reverse signal. You need reverse signal for PPV, internet and On Demand services.
Granted you are getting raked over the coals by COX, but it's not all their fault. They probably have restrictions in your "historical" neighborhood that prohibit aerial drops and the before mentioned permitting. They are probably going to have to run cable on the exterior of your house, so prepare for that possibility.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:06:17 AM EDT
Oh yeah, I live in a Cox area and I dropped them because they have very lousy customer service. I'm going to order satellite TV instead and wait for the competitors to go ahead with DSL roll-out.

Mayor Nagin of 'Nawlins is a former Cox Cable executive.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:17:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
[hint]We have Dish Network and SBC AT&T DSL, and it's great[/hint]

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:53:41 AM EDT
Well the assholes that were supposed to do the line drop from the alley finally showed up this morning and Cox has scheduled the install for tomorrow so hopefully this insanity is nearing an end.

What I think happened is the dumb bitch office manager from the contractor that was going to do the drop from the alley called me a week earlier than she was supposed to then rather than admit she made a mistake and explain to me what happened, they just blew me off instead. Cox said several weeks ago that the line drop was supposed to done today, but the idiot from the contactor called last Tuesday and said they'd be out the next day (last Wednesday). She probably fucked up and instead of owning up to it she just refused to speak to me a gain.

I'll update how the service is, especially the HD in the next few days.
Top Top