Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/16/2017 9:01:18 PM EDT
A controversial Florida law that restricted doctors from asking patients about firearm ownership violates medical professionals’ constitutional right to free speech, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The opinion striking down key provisions of the law was the latest ruling in a legal challenge to the so-called “Docs vs. Glocks” law, backed by the powerful National Rifle Association gun lobby. The law quickly became a heated ideological battle pitting gun-rights groups against advocates of free-speech and firearms control.

“This is a hugely important victory for the First Amendment, for the rights of doctors and perhaps most importantly, the patients and families who are trying to protect themselves from guns in the home,” said Jonathan Lowy, one of the lawyers in the case and the director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s Legal Action Project.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/article133228524.html#storylink=cpy
View Quote

Why the fuck would doctors care whether or not their patients own guns unless they're anti gun libtards?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A controversial Florida law that restricted doctors from asking patients about firearm ownership violates medical professionals’ constitutional right to free speech, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The opinion striking down key provisions of the law was the latest ruling in a legal challenge to the so-called “Docs vs. Glocks” law, backed by the powerful National Rifle Association gun lobby. The law quickly became a heated ideological battle pitting gun-rights groups against advocates of free-speech and firearms control.

“This is a hugely important victory for the First Amendment, for the rights of doctors and perhaps most importantly, the patients and families who are trying to protect themselves from guns in the home,” said Jonathan Lowy, one of the lawyers in the case and the director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s Legal Action Project.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/article133228524.html#storylink=cpy
View Quote

Why the fark would doctors care whether or not their patients own guns unless they're anti gun libtards?
View Quote

Because unlike everyone on ARFCom, some gun owners leave their guns out, their kids (or the neighbor kids) get a hold of them and shoot someone (younger sibling, etc).

I'm a doctor and at pediatric well child visits, I ask if people have guns. And it's not because I don't want you to have them, and it's not because I'm entering them in a secret database and it's not because I'm submitting your information to the government. It's because I've seen kids get shot by their siblings. 

The conversation goes like this:

"Do you have any guns at home?" If yes, I ask, "Do you keep them locked up?". If yes, I'm done, unless we get into a Glock vs 1911 or 9mm vs 45 argument (yeah, it's happened. )

If you're offended that I asked, you can either, 1)Lie 2)Get all bent out of shape and start harrumping 3)tell me you keep your guns secure or 4)Go see another doctor. 

And now I predict that this thread will degenerate into the usual hand-wringing and purse swinging whenever that occurs whenever this topic comes up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Answered your own question.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because unlike everyone on ARFCom, some gun owners leave their guns out, their kids (or the neighbor kids) get a hold of them and shoot someone.
View Quote
And that's none of my fucking doctor's business.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because unlike everyone on ARFCom, some gun owners leave their guns out, their kids (or the neighbor kids) get a hold of them and shoot someone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the fark would doctors care whether or not their patients own guns unless they're anti gun libtards?

And how does this have anything to do with a doctor and his patient?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Just as good a question is why do you need a law for that?

Why can't you just go to a different doctor?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then answer 'no'.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a medical issue.

It's a silly law though, I'd just lie.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Then answer 'no'.
View Quote

More, like "fuck off, doc"

When he looks at you with a shocked face say "that's my first amendment right also."
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
"Hey doc, how does your wife like anal sex?"

"That's non of your business sir !"

"And neither is my gun ownership yours"
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just as good a question is why do you need a law for that?

Why can't you just go to a different doctor?
View Quote

This. You either like freedom or you don't. Freedom means people get to do stuff you don't like. And you do too.

I like that anal sex line, btw.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I was asked by my Doctor here in Ohio quite awhile ago. While I don't believe it's any of their business, I answered honestly. Frankly the Government already knows I own, sell, and manufacture firearms. Due to that fact, I don't care to keep it a secret.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Then answer 'no'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then answer 'no'.
Why should I have to lie in a routine transaction with someone I've hired to provide me a service?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because unlike everyone on ARFCom, some gun owners leave their guns out, their kids (or the neighbor kids) get a hold of them and shoot someone (younger sibling, etc).

I'm a doctor and at pediatric well child visits, I ask if people have guns. And it's not because I don't want you to have them, and it's not because I'm entering them in a secret database and it's not because I'm submitting your information to the government. It's because I've seen kids get shot by their siblings. 

"Do you have any guns at home?" If yes, I ask, "Do you keep them locked up?". If yes, I'm done, unless we get into a Glock vs 1911 or 9mm vs 45 argument (yeah, it's happened. )

If you're offended that I asked, you can either, 1)Lie 2)Get all bent out of shape and start harrumping 3)tell me you keep your guns secure or 4)Go see another doctor. 

And now I predict that this thread will degenerate into the usual hand-wringing and purse swinging whenever that occurs whenever this topic comes up.
View Quote

Why do you think your involvement with a given child extends beyond your training as a medical service provider?  Do you teach Driver's Ed, too? Maybe offer swimming classes?

ETA I'm being sarcastic but it's a serious question.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry, but your rationale is total BS. If the parent or kid says "no the guns are not locked up" are you going to admonish the parents, are you going to educate the parents/kids on proper firearms safety for their family. Doctors, like politicians always thinking they have a right and that they know best.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why do you think your involvement with a given child extends beyond your training as a medical service provider?  Do you teach Driver's Ed, too? Maybe offer swimming classes?

ETA I'm being sarcastic but it's a serious question.
View Quote

The same reason a physician wants to make sure harmful chemicals and medications are also kept out of the reach of children at home.

Doctors have been asking questions about dangerous stuff around the house for decades.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

All I have to ask is this... Do you enter the patient answers about guns into EPIC?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you ask about baby gates, plug covers, if they have a pool, cabinet locks, etc.  serious question.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you going to teach me gun safety rules if I tell you that I like to leave my guns laying around?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
A.) I live in Florida
2.) I have had the same Doc for 20+ years.
III.) We have discussed politics (he is a conservative). We have never discussed firearms.

If it did come up....I would simply tell him noyb.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why should I have to lie in a routine transaction with someone I've hired to provide me a service?
View Quote

Then don't lie, or tell him/her it's none of their business.

What do you do when someone in public or your wife asks you a question you don't like?

You guys are acting like children.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ask that Question because you are worried about the child, then in the next breath you give then kid a vaccine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Doc.  In my opinion you should just have a pat statement you give to people about keeping their guns secured around children.   And I can assure you I have treated a lot more shot up kids than you ever will as you don't sound like an ER doc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bring up guns with my doctors, since I live where everyone has guns, but if I was asked like that out of the blue like that so I could be lectured about locking them up, I'd tell the doc to get fucked. I would go see another doctor.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Everybody has rights. When their rights infringe on our rights....like the right to privacy, their rights are overshadowed.
Courts are wrong here. IMHO
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Everybody has rights. When their rights infringe on our rights....like the right to privacy, their rights are overshadowed.
View Quote

I agree with the courts, but the patients should know they have the right to tell the doc to get fucked. That's the way rights work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would fire you immediately.  I think all your 2A loving patients should fire you.  Worry about my blood work, not about my fire arms.  I don't care how good your intentions are. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#28]
According to data provided by The AMA only 87 people in the US own guns.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Hey doc, how does your wife like anal sex?"

"That's non of your business sir !"

"And neither is my gun ownership yours"
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You never said how the conversation goes if the answer is ' NO I do not keep my guns locked up'
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's sad that a doc asks about my guns, but could care less what I eat and drink, or how I feel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you ask your patients if they use whips and handcuffs during sex? Those could be a danger to kids also, right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why the fuck would doctors care whether or not their patients own guns unless they're anti gun libtards?
View Quote

In the main, they wouldn't. But do you really want the government determining what you can and cannot discuss with your doctor? I don't.  Not any of it. I don't want governments telling doctors they should, nor that they cannot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I agree with the courts, but the patients should know they have the right to tell the doc to get fucked. That's the way rights work.
View Quote

/end thread
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

If safety is the sole reason for your asking, are you also asking similar questions about swimming pools, drain cleaners, exposed electrical wiring, gasoline storage, power tools, kitchen knives, glass bottles, water heater temperature settings, slippery bath tubs and shower stalls, temperamental pets, vehicle child seats, bald tires and worn shock absorbers, lead paint, hot cooking surfaces, alcoholic family members, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, neighborhood pedophiles, turkey fryers, proper safety gear on bicycles, scooters and skateboards; oleander bushes and other poisonous household plants, peanut allergies, wasps, bees, spiders, scorpions, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and other poisonous snakes; unattended mop buckets, hand washing habits, stepladders, barbecue grills, lawn mowers, flammable clothing and bedding; unsecured stairs and balconies; plastic bags, hot tubs, laundry bleach, swing sets, slides and other playground equipment; improperly stored food, radon, hair dryers plugged into electric outlets near sinks and bathtubs, prescription medicines - and hundreds of other equally significant risks to children?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all well and good, but anymore I think a lot of people are going to be concerned about what databases they're going to get entered in.   It's a shit sandwich when you have lie about it, tell the truth and worry about what he does w/ the data, or tell him to fuck off and worry about what he does w/ the data.   Easier all around if they just keep their noses out of things that are none of their damn business.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The same reason a physician wants to make sure harmful chemicals and medications are also kept out of the reach of children at home.

Doctors have been asking questions about dangerous stuff around the house for decades.
View Quote

Neither of those are a doctor's business either, unless he or she has reason to believe the items contributed to the presenting condition.

Do you really think a dumbass parent is going to change their dumbass ways because a doctor questioned them about it? No good can come from this, only more government intrusion.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

So Doc,

As a person who may be forced to respond to your house or your office for a domestic situation, or any other situation for that matter, I need to ask you the following:

Does your wife know you are fucking the charge nurse?

Does your family know about your boyfriend on the side?

Does your family know that you like to dress up in women's clothes and stick a gerbil up your ass?

What's that you say?

If you're offended that I asked, you can either, 1)Lie 2)Get all bent out of shape and start harrumping 3)tell me you keep your boyfriend's sex toys/ mistresses ball gag secure or 4)Go see another first responder.... 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

HOW ABOUT IT'S NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you were genuinely concerned about that, and not just snooping about "scary guns", then you'd be there all day with a single patient asking about hundreds of "dangerous things around the house".

Also, how stupid are these lawmakers? Don't restrict doctors' ability to snoop (1st Amendment), make it illegal for them to share that info with the government.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#41]
News Flash, Doctors medical mistakes kill more people then Guns do. Stick that up your CDC and AMA.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't really care as long as it's not mandated by law. Good doctors that know their patients and care about their wellbeing could ask any number of questions that might at first seem odd but do relate to overall health care management. It is when government requires the collection of that information that we have a problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If safety is the sole reason for your asking, are you also asking similar questions about swimming pools, drain cleaners, exposed electrical wiring, gasoline storage, power tools, kitchen knives, glass bottles, water heater temperature settings, slippery bath tubs and shower stalls, temperamental pets, vehicle child seats, bald tires and worn shock absorbers, lead paint, hot cooking surfaces, alcoholic family members, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, neighborhood pedophiles, turkey fryers, proper safety gear on bicycles, scooters and skateboards; oleander bushes and other poisonous household plants, peanut allergies, wasps, bees, spiders, scorpions, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths and other poisonous snakes; unattended mop buckets, hand washing habits, stepladders, barbecue grills, lawn mowers, flammable clothing and bedding; unsecured stairs and balconies; plastic bags, hot tubs, laundry bleach, swing sets, slides and other playground equipment; improperly stored food, radon, hair dryers plugged into electric outlets near sinks and bathtubs, prescription medicines - and hundreds of other equally significant risks to children?
View Quote
I will quietly wait for the response to this perfectly reasonable question.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm at my son's orchestra performance right now, so I'm not even going to try to answer these questions on mobile. But I'll be back.

And to the one who asked, I worked several years as a rural family medicine and ER doc. I now live in the city, but still do periodic ER shifts. And if you've seen many more dead kids than me, first, I'm sorry. Dead kids are one of the worst posts of the job. Second, doesn't that have some real world bearing on the very discussion at hand?

And despite all the comments above, I'm not going to stop asking. You all are welcome to see another doctor. I can't remember the last time a patient balked at this question, and I live in conservative Utah, which probably has ten guns per capita. Perhaps it's because many of my patients know that I own and regularly shoot guns.

To be continued...
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't really care as long as it's not mandated by law. Good doctors that know their patients and care about their wellbeing could ask any number of questions that might at first seem odd but do relate to overall health care management. It is when government requires the collection of that information that we have a problem.
View Quote

I wouldn't have as much of an issue if they were forbidden by law to record anything related to gun ownership of their patients.  Then they could ask if they felt it was necessary, but big penalties if they record the info.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

What if the answer is no, I don't lock them up? Do you keep that to yourself, or is visit from CPS about to happen?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#47]
It's not the doctors that care.  It was handed down from the FDA and Zero.  They want to reclassify firearms as a public health issue and given a more politically liberal agency oversight.  They want to force premiums up for your healthcare and force you to get liability insurance BC you have guns.  

As usual a liberal is trying to limit your rights by fiat measures rather than the lawful guidelines laced out by the founding fathers.  Thankfully some courts haven't been stacked.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

With all due respect, it's none of your fucking business. Give me something for my bronchitis or whatever and shut the fuck up.

If you or any doctor asks me ( which has happened once ), I say , " I like to fish, never been much of a hunter." I don't say it's none of your business, because that is a big red YES. I simply finish my visit, a happy fisherman, and then I find another doctor that's not a nanny state asshole.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#49]
If my doctor asked me if we have guns in our house, I would ask him if he needed to borrow one or if he was looking for a hit man.

PS: Practically everybody in Mississippi has guns in their house.  Even Obama and Hillary supporters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you were genuinely concerned about that, and not just snooping about "scary guns", then you'd be there all day with a single patient asking about hundreds of "dangerous things around the house".

Also, how stupid are these lawmakers? Don't restrict doctors' ability to snoop (1st Amendment), make it illegal for them to share that info with the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is an insurance company has a right to review medical records for billing purposes.  No one seemed to think of that with Obamacare.  Once there is Universal Health Care, the government will have access to everyone's medical record by default.  This is one of many reasons I am against it.  The government can also force doctors to ask certain questions or they don't get paid.  Down the rabbit hole we go.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top