Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2013 3:37:43 PM EDT
Medical and recreational marijuana may be legal in Colorado, but employers in the state can lawfully fire workers who test positive for the drug, even if it was used off duty, according to a court ruling Thursday.

"For an activity to be lawful in Colorado, it must be permitted by, and not contrary to, both state and federal law," the appeals court stated in its 2-1 conclusion.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MARIJUANA_RULING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-25-19-25-08
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to mention company policy.  Some places can fire you for smoking perfectly legal cigarettes.  You sure can get canned for being a doper.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Good.  You don't need someone who is high operating heavy equipment or vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
But, but, but....
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
loophole: get fda approved  prescription for "marinol" or the THC pill, which is backed by .gov , if they ask you to take the piss test ; you hand them the prescipt , piss in the cup and they can't do shit.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yay for freedom!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
loophole: get fda approved  prescription for "marinol" or the THC pill, which is backed by .gov , if they ask you to take the piss test ; you hand them the prescipt , piss in the cup and they can't do shit.....

Or not smoke the pots.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yay for freedom!

Freedom to fire druggies. I like it.

I don't care that people smoke pot, but remember, your freedoms end where others begin.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Wooooah man, heavy......................

Employers don't need additional legal and financial liability due to some stoner injuring someone on the job and depending on the work, it can be a fed issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Police departments have been especially concerned since officers are sworn to uphold both state and federal laws.

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good.  You don't need someone who is high operating heavy equipment or vehicles.

I agree....BUT... the problem is that breathalyzers are a pretty good way to test for alcohol intoxication at that moment but drug piss tests only test for marijuana usage sometime in the last month (or more).
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yay for freedom!

This.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no problem with this

Their company Their rules

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And what will your reply be when companies,s that find out someone owns or CCW's a gun, start firing people.? Just wait for it?  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Same in WA. At least where I work. Probably a good thing not having a bunch of stoned electricians.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And what will your reply be when companies,s that find out someone owns or CCW's a gun, start firing people.? Just wait for it?  

Obviously a dope head reply!!     Concealed carry is not against FEDERAL LAW Sherlock as POT is!!  Fire that pot head fuker yeah!!  
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for them, it's their right.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously a dope head reply!!     Concealed carry is not against FEDERAL LAW Sherlock as POT is!!  Fire that pot head fuker yeah!!  

Depending on your State and your company's rules, they absolutely could fire you for a wholly legal activity like concealed carry.

The law in Colorado this case is based around was passed to prevent companies from firing people for smoking cigs on their own time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok if that's your view, i can't fault ya and on some levels i agree with you...i like the ultimate freedom pov,..

why do you guys assume a pot smoker, smokes pot on the job? is it automatically assumed that beer drinkers also get drunk on the job ?  

fyi, i know people that are doctors,lawyers,engineers..both mech and EE, grunts and c.e.o's who smoke pot.... if you think any of them do it during the week or during work hours , you're sorely mistaken.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
WHA?????
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok if that's your view, i can't fault ya and on some levels i agree with you...i like the ultimate freedom pov,..

why do you guys assume a pot smoker, smokes pot on the job? is it automatically assumed that beer drinkers also get drunk on the job ?  

fyi, i know people that are doctors,lawyers,engineers..both mech and EE, grunts and c.e.o's who smoke pot.... if you think any of them do it during the week or during work hours , you're sorely mistaken.

I don't assume they do it on the job. Even if they don't, I support the right of the employer to fire them for doing it off the job.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#25]
A number of police departments in my area prohibit any tobacco product use.   I say good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm one of 2 safety guys for my company and we have both permanent and mobile operations in Colorado and 3 other states.  We told employees in no uncertain terms that our drug and alcohol policy didn't change just because they changed states.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#27]
so this is saying that federal trumps state law, so our brothers in NY and all other F'upd states are GTG
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yay for freedom!

I don't care that people smoke pot, but remember, your freedoms end where others begin.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hey dude that's against policy.  I don't agree with the policy because I'd sure like to carry one too for how much I travel and I'm working on getting it changed.  But for now you can't have it in a company vehicle.  I'm not gonna bust your ass over it but some liberal prick might call lighthouse on you and then my hands are tied."

Oh did you all know that if you use marijuana recreationally that it only stays in your system for about 3 days?  So toke up on Friday and if you get popped on Monday for a random there's a good chance you'll pass the test.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I fully support an employer's right to choose their employees based on whatever criteria they desire, whether it be gun ownership or drug use or lack thereof or whatever floats their boat. Their company, their rules.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Can this also be applied to alcohol?

Someone can be fired for having a beer or wine?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

On the job?  Yes.  In a company vehicle?  Yes.  Off duty on company property?  Yes.  Off duty in a public place or own home?  No.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
If they're doing it on company time: GOOD

If they're doing in on their own time: BAD
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I think pot should be legal and I think businesses should have the right and ability to terminate your employment for using it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I fully support an employer's right to choose their employees based on whatever criteria they desire, whether it be gun ownership or drug use or lack thereof or whatever floats their boat. Their company, their rules.

Came in here to post this specifically.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#36]
That judge is a douche, as is 9 out of ten posters in this thread.

Ignorance runs amuck......

BTW, are you same shitwistles who are all about freedoms?

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yay for freedom!

And since nobody has the right to a job, the owner of the job should be able to fire the employee for any reason, and it won't infringe on his rights.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the job?  Yes.  In a company vehicle?  Yes.  Off duty on company property?  Yes.  Off duty in a public place or own home?  No.

Ideally the last question would be answered 'yes'
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes as should be.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Drinking excessively can be grounds for dismissal too in some jobs.

Especially those with a clearance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Drinking excessively can be grounds for dismissal too.

what about "just a little bit"?

I have no problems with a company setting its own policy, but......the hypocritical comments are what is blowing my mind.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why the difference between pot and booze?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Except that won't work. If you pass your employer/perspective employer a prescription for marinol and they even want to bother with it you will be tested for some of the cannabinoids that are unique to weed. Those tests are getting cheaper and becoming more common. Modern drug tests can tell the difference between someone taking marinol and a person using marijuana.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drinking excessively can be grounds for dismissal too.

what about "just a little bit"?

I have no problems with a company setting its own policy, but......the hypocritical comments are what is blowing my mind.

Actually it sounds like you do. You called the judge and almost everyone in this thread a douche.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, I do not smoke pot or even drink.  And I have fired 3 people for coming to work stoned, over the years. Just have no problem what someone does, when they are not a work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Another pot thread. Yay.

Here's what I think of it:

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ideally the last question would be answered 'yes'

True.  Maybe we could change it to a conditional yes.  If your drinking at home is affecting your work in a negative way we'd fire you for that too.  But it would be for not performing your duties adequately and not the alcohol explicitly.  I like having a beer or 2 after work and the occasional weekend bender as much as the next guy.  But I don't come to work hung over the next day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#48]
That's reasonable.  

Pot may be legal, and that's what it is.

An employer can still drug test.

I see win/win
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That judge is a douche, as is 9 out of ten posters in this thread.

Ignorance runs amuck......

BTW, are you same shitwistles who are all about freedoms?

Freedoms are being exercised. The guys who want to stand around or hangout and be Commander Cody can do so  that is their freedom being used. The employer is choosing not to have Commander Cody the reefer head in his employment.

Works out great ..

Freedom as it was intended.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah grumpy cat.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top