Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 8:43:17 AM EDT
[url]http://courttv.com/trials/dragrace/[/url]

I'm listening to some of the testimony while being on the computer. I have to admit I hadn't heard about this case prior to this morning. I usually don't watch courtTV.

What are your opinions on this?

Do you think the state is wrong for pursuing 2nd degree murder charges against the two racers?

We all know that when we're young we assume we are impervious to having really bad things happen to us. I know I've participated in drag racing when I was young. Nobody ever thinks something like this will really happen. More often injuries are limited to the racers.

At the same time I cannot get past thinking how unfair it was to the victims and their families that these two young people are no longer alive.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, the guys that did this are 32 and 29. A little old for street drag IMO. They should have known better and deserve to be punished.
If they get to walk away, justice would not be served.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#2]
yeap, a race on a public street that has other traffic on it is 'depraved indifference' (2nd degree murder) to me.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
This is street racing, not drag racing. Drag racing is a sanctioned event held by racing organizations such as the NHRA and IHRA.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If this is the case I'm thinking of, I hope they both go to prison. They are old enough to know better. It is bad enough to race cars on the highway. It is even worse to race fucking monster trucks. The bastards knew there was very little chance of them getting hurt on their 5 ft. tall tires.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
PUBLIC ROADS ARE NOT A RACE TRACK!

[b]More often injuries are limited to the racers.[/b]

and...i still get to help pay for the cleanup leftover from their stupidity.

if you want to race...take it to the track.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think they should go to jail for reckelss driving, endangering other drivers etc but not for murder or manslaughter.  Those charges are a bit excessive and they should be punished for a long time, but not as killers.
View Quote

But they ARE killers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know that The guy driving the El Camino should be charged with the same crime as the driver of the Baracuda. He did not hit anyone, and there would obviously be no intent to do harm.

I think that he should be hit up with all the drag racing, and speeding tickets possible, but he did not kill anyone.

As for the driver of the Baracuda, I think that manslaughter would be an apropreate charge.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#9]
yup murderers, to jail! What if that was your family driving home?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#10]
These guys drag racing on public streets are INSANE.

That's like me going target. shooting and using a daycare center as a backstop; somebody may not get hit, but the chances are really high that they will!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about murder.  Manslaughter might be more appropriate.  Racing on crowded or busy streets is stupid.  Where I grew up, we raced in the country on rarely traveled roads.  Even then, you could see somebody coming from a mile away.

What is the difference between driving 80 MPH on a street and plowing into a family and killing them as opposed to racing another vehicle at 80 MPH and plowing into a family and killing them?  Should the driver in either of these incidents be charged with murder?  Should everybody doing 10, 20 or 30 mph over the speed limit be charged with murder if they crash and kill somebody?

I would charge the driver who had the crash with manslaughter.  The other driver should be charged with speeding, wreckless driving and drag racing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top