Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 10:46:41 PM EDT
Link

More links to back story if you clicky.

AUSTIN (KXAN) — As attorney Keith Hampton was working to get his client Greg Kelley out of jail on Tuesday, he was also signing off on the compensation package for his other clients, Dan and Fran Keller, who were recently declared innocent in their case.

The Kellers are entitled to $80,000 for each year they were incarcerated. In the couple’s case, they were in prison for 23 years, which means each person will receive approximately $1.84 million for their time served. The Tim Cole Act states half of the money will be paid as a lump sum and the other half will be paid out over their lifetime as an annuity.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope they find some happiness with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice to hear that the Tim Cole act is doing good. Sadly it was to late for him. Yet we do have a statute of him across from Tech since it was here that he got fucked.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't even imagine doing 23 years despite being innocent, and I can't fathom being apart from a spouse and trying to rebuild a life after that long.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't even imagine doing 23 years despite being innocent, and I can't fathom being apart from a spouse and trying to rebuild a life after that long.
View Quote
Go search Tim Cole. He got fucked without lube and died in prison knowing he was innocent. Hell he didn't even fit the description of the actual perp yet he went to jail and died in jail.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Go search Tim Cole. He got fucked without lube and died in prison knowing he was innocent. Hell he didn't even fit the description of the actual perp yet he went to jail and died in jail.
View Quote
This is the reason that I am opposed to the death penalty. You can't resurrect the dead if you get it wrong. At least the living can be released and partially compensated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I actually remember that witch hunt. Damn.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is the reason that I am opposed to the death penalty. You can't resurrect the dead if you get it wrong. At least the living can be released and partially compensated.
View Quote
Same here unless there is either a confession of guilt or undeniable proof the of guilt
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Same here unless there is either a confession of guilt or undeniable proof the of guilt
View Quote
You aren't anti-death penalty then.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have issues with locking people up without undeniable proof....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I actually remember that witch hunt. Damn.
View Quote
Me too, the prosc side should have been put behind bars along with their ''experts" who brainwashed the kids.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And in both cases I'm sure a DA got a nice party for the conviction and a nice retirement on the golf course.  

That's 23 years to plot a real crime.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Read about the McMartin case of California.
Until the people responsible ie DA , Judge ,have to pay this will continue
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I bet $3M would build a badass killdozer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Link

AUSTIN (KXAN) — As attorney Keith Hampton was working to get his client Greg Kelley out of jail on Tuesday, he was also signing off on the compensation package for his other clients, Dan and Fran Keller, who were recently declared innocent in their case.

The Kellers are entitled to $80,000 for each year they were incarcerated. In the couple’s case, they were in prison for 23 years, which means each person will receive approximately $1.84 million for their time served. The Tim Cole Act states half of the money will be paid as a lump sum and the other half will be paid out over their lifetime as an annuity.
View Quote
View Quote

that's bullshit... so, they BOTH are sharing $80k a year x 20 years?

if so, that's bullshit... that amount of cash is basically a average working guys salary. yeah, they should owe you lost wages, however, the pain and suffering for each year on jail should be 10x what your income was... $10 million each, tax free, sounds more like it to me... but that wont replace 23 years of lost living.

edit.

I read the article, apparently they are getting approx. 1.8 million each.... that's still bullshit money for that much time.. that's twice your yearly salary for a average job... so, $40k salary, and $40k per year pain suffering??   yeah, id be asking for more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Cases like that are one of two reasons I've turned against the death penalty. The other is I'm not sure the state should have the power to decide which citizen lives and which citizen dies. It's way to easy to abuse that power.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cases like that are one of two reasons I've turned against the death penalty. The other is I'm not sure the state should have the power to decide which citizen lives and which citizen dies. It's way to easy to abuse that power.
View Quote
Ultimately, a jury decides that.

Being imprisoned for a crime I didn't commit is a nightmare scenario.  I would go insane.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#18]
1.84mil each sounds like chump change for the time served.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Read about the McMartin case of California.
Until the people responsible ie DA , Judge ,have to pay this will continue
View Quote
I remember them. Yep they railroaded, lost the pre-school, went bankrupt. The media went ballistic withthe story.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Our justice system is fucked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Being imprisoned for a crime I didn't commit is a nightmare scenario.  I would go insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The jury decides based on the case the state presents. All too often the representatives of the state are corrupt shit heels who don't care if they get the right person as long as they can put a check in the conviction column.

If the prosecution or investigators tamper with or manufacture evidence to frame someone how is the jury supposed to know that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just read his wiki page.

That is absolutely unbelieveable.

Poor fucking guy, jesus christ.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Our justice legal system is fucked.
View Quote
Fify

We don't have a justice system.

What we have is a legal system.

Those are two entirely different creatures.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope their suing for a fuckton more.  It's not just lost wages it's LIFE.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#25]
1.8 million dollars for 23 years of your life, paid for by the taxpayers.

Ridiculous. That money needs to come from the DA and judge who convicted them, and possibly from the cops who arrested them, if they falsified information or tampered with evidence. Everything they own should be taken before the taxpayers get fucked with the bill.

Lets figure this right quick. These two people were held against their will for 23 years, 24/7. I have always held the belief that a man wrongly convicted should be paid exactly what his time is worth for any time spent in prison or in court.

120 hours per day. 840 hours per week. 52 weeks per year. 23 years.

That's 800 hours of overtime each week. So, let's do the math...

Say the dude makes $10 an hour.

That's $400 straight, and $12,000 in OT each week.

12,400 x 52 = 644,800.

644,800 x 23 = 14,830,400
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like they got the shit end of the stick.

Our government had no qualms about paying a certain piece of shit $10mil and he was a known terrorist....but then again, our government is all kinds of fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#27]
shit happens everywhere *smh*
county deserves it , local police chief said there wasn't a case there , but sheriff office took the ball and ran with it

http://www.ketv.com/article/beatrice-6-case-could-bankrupt-nebraska-county/9655680
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#28]
1.84 million?  That's not shit for the hell they endured. A zero should be added, taken from the prosecutors offices that bought into that witch hunt. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
...That money needs to come from the DA and judge who convicted them, and possibly from the cops who arrested them, if they falsified information or tampered with evidence...
View Quote
So long as people who work for the government aren't held personally (read financially) responsible for their actions against their fellow man, these types of incidents will continue to happen with some amount of regularity.

They could give a shit less because they don't have skin in the game like you or I do, and so long as their enormous fuckups get paid by Joe Taxpayer, they won't have any incentive to change.

Personal responsibility and accountability is (near universally) a requirement of the serfs.

'Meri-fucking-yeah
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ridiculous. That money needs to come from the DA and judge who convicted them, and possibly from the cops who arrested them, if they falsified information or tampered with evidence. Everything they own should be taken before the taxpayers get fucked with the bill.

Lets figure this right quick. These two people were held against their will for 23 years, 24/7. I have always held the belief that a man wrongly convicted should be paid exactly what his time is worth for any time spent in prison or in court.

12,400 x 52 = 644,800.

View Quote
The whole "Satanic abuse witchhunt" thing does really rest, at least in part, on the public at large. 
They should certainly sue pretty much every media outlet in the country, however.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
No amount of money would be enough for me. I don't know what I'd do, but I can't imagine it would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah. I'm not sure any compensation could make up for 23 years of my life stolen from me in addition to whatever they may have endured while incarcerated.

Would anybody be willing to go to prison for 23 years in exchange for $1.8 million?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The jury decides based on the case the state presents. All too often the representatives of the state are corrupt shit heels who don't care if they get the right person as long as they can put a check in the conviction column.

If the prosecution or investigators tamper with or manufacture evidence to frame someone how is the jury supposed to know that?
View Quote
In addition to taking plea deals that result in light sentences for real criminals just so they don't risk a loss. Prosecutors are politicians first and foremost. Few have any interest in justice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

that's bullshit... so, they BOTH are sharing $80k a year x 20 years?

if so, that's bullshit... that amount of cash is basically a average working guys salary. yeah, they should owe you lost wages, however, the pain and suffering for each year on jail should be 10x what your income was... $10 million each, tax free, sounds more like it to me... but that wont replace 23 years of lost living.

edit.

I read the article, apparently they are getting approx. 1.8 million each.... that's still bullshit money for that much time.. that's twice your yearly salary for a average job... so, $40k salary, and $40k per year pain suffering??   yeah, id be asking for more.
View Quote
Yeah, may sound a lot, but they missed out on a lot of things in life, like kids and grand kids etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I followed this case from the beginning, he will probably get life, but deserves something more.
BTW I didn't read this story, because it is so depressing, the kid didn't deserve it.

(story not paywalled)
KTLA Ch5 - "South Pasadena Father to Be Sentenced in Murder of 5-Year-Old Son"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Link

View Quote
View Quote

that's some bull shit, pay them all the money they are owed
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

12,400 x 52 = 644,800.

View Quote
Please tell me you are not an accountant.

I agree with your premise that they are under contract 24/7  But there are not 800 hours in a week.  7*24=168   Even if you count it at 100% double time that would be 168*2=336
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
As someone who lived through that era with just total amazement., I am shocked that the fallout from this shit is still going on to this day.

I remember following the McMartin trial and never could figure out why people never came to their senses when the carefully coached kids started claiming satanic rituals, that other kids had been killed, that there were tunnels and dungeons under the preschool building, that kids were loaded onto airplanes and flown to France and made to participate in orgies and satanic sacrifices, then flown back to California the same day in time for their parents to pick them up in the afternoon, etc.  I think some even claimed they were attacked by Chuck Norris.  Seriously.

It was a very weird time when there were satanists everywhere!!  Taking care of your children!  Teaching in your schools!  In your neighborhoods!  Behind every bush and under every rock there were satanists lurking to rape and kill your children!!  Of course, nobody really knew what a satanist was or where they learn satanist stuff like how to rape and eat babies.   I dunno, maybe there's a Satanic Night School at the Learning Center that advertises in the Penney Saver.  But they're there!!!  And that nice little old lady in the wheelchair who never hurt a fly and has dedicated her entire adult life to the care of children is probably one of those dirty child raping baby eating satanists!!!!  Truly bizarre.

If you ever want to understand what was happening, there was a docu-drama called "Indictment: The McMartin Trial" with James Woods that did a pretty good job of showing the trial and the madness swirling around it.  At the center was a self-appointed child advocate that came up with novel ways to interrogate the children that was actually a process of suggesting weird stuff, and then rewarding the kids who came up with wild stories that fit that naritive.  The kids who said "Nobody touched me.  What are you talking about?" got punished.  And the reporter from a local TV station who was sleeping with her and gave her all sorts of non-skeptical coverage.  And the judge who wouldn't let the defense even talk to the children because you have to protect the children even if it means the trial turns into a which hunt.

You can still find it on HBO GO meaning either you subscribe directly to HBO or you get HBO on your cable system and have a streaming device like a Roku or Firestick.  It is definitely worth the 2 hours of your time to see just how badly these nice people got fucked back then by the justice system.

The one thing I wish I still had from that era was a shirt a buddy of mine made.  It was the distinctive McMartin Pre-School logo -

printed on the left breast of a nice, yellow Polo shirt, with the word "STAFF" underneath.  He advertised in the backs of magazines like National Lampoon and sold a ton of them, enough to pay for college.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Our ALL justice systems is are fucked.
View Quote
FIFY.

Humans are fallible.  Always have been and always will be.  There's nothing you can do about it, but as some others see it, throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't smart either.

We have probably the best system in existence and one of the best in history.  It's our duty to protect & improve it, but it's totally unrealistic to expect perfection.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FIFY.

Humans are fallible.  Always have been and always will be.  There's nothing you can do about it, but as some others see it, throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't smart either.

We have probably the best system in existence and one of the best in history.  It's our duty to protect & improve it, but it's totally unrealistic to expect perfection.
View Quote
Nobody is demanding perfection, people demand honesty, some basic level of competence, and culpability for negligence or outright corruption.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
It should be realistic to expect that investigators not be complete fucking morons who believe whatever outlandish bullshit they are told by "experts" and that they do some actual fucking investigating of their own.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As someone who lived through that era with just total amazement., I am shocked that the fallout from this shit is still going on to this day.

I remember following the McMartin trial and never could figure out why people never came to their senses when the carefully coached kids started claiming satanic rituals, that other kids had been killed, that there were tunnels and dungeons under the preschool building, that kids were loaded onto airplanes and flown to France and made to participate in orgies and satanic sacrifices, then flown back to California the same day in time for their parents to pick them up in the afternoon, etc.  I think some even claimed they were attacked by Chuck Norris.  Seriously.

It was a very weird time when there were satanists everywhere!!  Taking care of your children!  Teaching in your schools!  In your neighborhoods!  Behind every bush and under every rock there were satanists lurking to rape and kill your children!!  Of course, nobody really knew what a satanist was or where they learn satanist stuff like how to rape and eat babies.   I dunno, maybe there's a Satanic Night School at the Learning Center that advertises in the Penney Saver.  But they're there!!!  And that nice little old lady in the wheelchair who never hurt a fly and has dedicated her entire adult life to the care of children is probably one of those dirty child raping baby eating satanists!!!!  Truly bizarre.

If you ever want to understand what was happening, there was a docu-drama called "Indictment: The McMartin Trial" with James Woods that did a pretty good job of showing the trial and the madness swirling around it.  At the center was a self-appointed child advocate that came up with novel ways to interrogate the children that was actually a process of suggesting weird stuff, and then rewarding the kids who came up with wild stories that fit that naritive.  The kids who said "Nobody touched me.  What are you talking about?" got punished.  And the reporter from a local TV station who was sleeping with her and gave her all sorts of non-skeptical coverage.  And the judge who wouldn't let the defense even talk to the children because you have to protect the children even if it means the trial turns into a which hunt.

You can still find it on HBO GO meaning either you subscribe directly to HBO or you get HBO on your cable system and have a streaming device like a Roku or Firestick.  It is definitely worth the 2 hours of your time to see just how badly these nice people got fucked back then by the justice system.

The one thing I wish I still had from that era was a shirt a buddy of mine made.  It was the distinctive McMartin Pre-School logo -

https://s26.postimg.org/a18jw2ydl/retro-mcmartin-preschool-video_Sixteen_By_Nine1050.jpg

printed on the left breast of a nice, yellow Polo shirt, with the word "STAFF" underneath.  He advertised in the backs of magazines like National Lampoon and sold a ton of them, enough to pay for college.  
View Quote
Added to my watch list.

I was just a kid myself and remember being terrified of satanists everywhere because the way the media fluffed up these stories.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It should be realistic to expect that investigators not be complete fucking morons who believe whatever outlandish bullshit they are told by "experts" and that they do some actual fucking investigating of their own.
View Quote
The whole thing started out stupid and then the stupidity just snowballed from there.  A lot of the blame has to go to that evil cunt Kee Macfarlane.  She came up with all these new techniques to get the stories out of the children, which really just made them spew the bullshit she wanted, because - as she testified in front of congress - she believed there was an organized, nationwide conspiracy of individuals and "orthodox satanic groups" sexually abusing children, although she never presented evidence of who any of the individuals are nor proof of any orthodox satanic groups.  She was desperately looking for satanic child rapers, and by God she found them!  And right in her own neighborhood!!

Then the judge doubled down on the stupidity and sealed all the kid's video taped interviews, even from the defense, ruling that a typed transcript was just as good as the video.  So you're accused of a heinous crime, and you can't question the witnesses, and you can't even see the video of the state interviewing the witnesses.  That sounds fair. Of course, satanists don't deserve civil rights.

Here's a 13 min. NYT video that just starts to scratch the surface on the stupidity -

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/us/the-trial-that-unleashed-hysteria-over-child-abuse.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nobody is demanding perfection, people demand honesty, some basic level of competence, and culpability for negligence or outright corruption.
View Quote
People condemn an entire system on the basis of a specific, though horribly egregious case.  Just trying to reel it in a bit, that's all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
People condemn an entire system on the basis of a specific, though horribly egregious case.  Just trying to reel it in a bit, that's all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened, and worse than all the times it's happened and been caught, it's impossible to know how many times it's happened and not been caught.

There's no penalty for doing it so there's no deterrent, it undoubtedly happens far more often than is known.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Out of the crooked timber of humanity no straight thing was ever made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top