Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/29/2001 1:40:03 PM EDT
What is the generally accepted, legal way to ship ammo? Also,Please explain the difference between FFL and Class III??? (I would like to eventually get an actual M4 lower so that I can train- even in the infantry, live-fire with one's weapon is not that frequent of an event) Thanx, Don
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 2:16:38 PM EDT
Loaded ammunition is classified over-road movement, class D - "ORM-D" - which means it can only go over-road (not via air), and is prohibited by the US Postal Service, so can only go by a common carrier like UPS or Fedex Ground. There are many "Types" of federal firearms license. FFL Type 01 is a regular dealer. FFL Type 02 is a pawnbroker, FFL Type 07 is a manufacturer. "Class" implies the FFL holder has paid a yearly special occupational tax (SOT) to deal with NFA firearms (eg machineguns and silencers and such). An 01 FFL who pays that extra tax is a Class 3 SOT. Usually abbreviated 01/C3, or "Class III" or "Class 3 dealer" etc. An 07 FFL who pays that extra tax is a Class 2 SOT. Usually abbreviated 07/C2 or "Class 2 Manufacturer". The SOT tax is $1000/yr for mfg or importer, $500/yr for dealer. Mfgs/importers who do less than $500K in business a year pay a reduced rate of $500/yr.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:13:00 PM EDT
Thanks Circuits. Appreciate the info on the ammo shipping. So in order to privately own I do the FFL hoop-jumping, become a dealer, and pay the extra tax (SOT). I'm reading the General Guide to Class 3 Weapons as we speak... Don out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:58:00 PM EDT
Well, in most states (which allow mgs), you don't need an FFL to privately own machineguns - although there are a few which will only allow licensed dealers to have them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:05:10 PM EDT
I'll have a bit of wierdness there, I'll be living on-post at Ft. Bragg, NC, but my state of residence is TN... More reading for Don
Top Top