Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 12:58:08 PM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade my "HT" television sometime likely in the next year or so and have a few questions. My setup is currently (don't laugh) a 35" Toshiba 4:3 CRT

• On Plasma televisions: who's got one, and have the manufacturers "solved" the longevity issue yet? When the sets first came out there were reviews that said the longevity of the Plasma sets was in question due to the gas leaking out. Is this a non-issue now? I don't want to drop $3k on a set only to have to replace it in 6-7 years.

• Aspect Ratio: If I'm watching regular TV on a large widescreen set (let's say plasma but it could easily be a DLP rear projection) does it always stretch the image to fit the, say, 16:9 aspect ratio? Or can you make it 4:3 with black bars on the sides? Or does it vary by set? This next set will be our main TV, used for TV watching, DVD movies, sports (hockey).

Now this is my first post in the home theater part of Arfcom. If any of you mooks refers me to another website "I shall be very put out" <--- name that movie quote.  

FWIW the rest of my system is an RCA DVD player on S-Video (and a PS2 on component input), with a Pioneer HT receiver and a mess of decent sounding speakers (Sonys for the 5 surround speakers, Klipsch for the sub) but the TV is what's getting replaced for now. Hopefully the receiver will get upgraded in 2007 but I have no idea.

Edit: and before anyone says "Sony speakers aren't decent" all I can say is: this is all in my living room, with a large bow window and another window. My neighbors are somewhat loud. All I ask for speakers at this point in my life is "don't hiss and pop randomly", and these don't. I have tested them. I may sound a little defensive, and I am. I took a look at the tacked "Show your home theater" thread at the top before I typed this post up and, well, I'm feeling some envy!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
BOO S-Video. Go component.

Yes, in cable/satellite mode you can change the aspect retio to fit your needs, aka 16:9 with no black bars or 4:3 with bars.

Instead of going crazy with a plasma and short-cutting all the rest of your gear, get say a nice DLP or any other HDTV and update the rest of your gear with it. A picture is only as good as the sound to go with it. Make sure you are getting a good surround sound setup with your receiver and PROGRESSIVE SCAN on a DVD player with component inputs/outputs. Same with your TV. Make sure it is component.

I think thats it for now. Good luck and dont half-ass any part of your setup.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the idea of a DLP but even as shallow as they've got them now, I am attracted to the depth of the plasmas. And the picture quality is phenominal.

I do prefer the quality of component video. It's a pain in the butt to get my TV out of the armoire to switch the cabling around- and my current dedicated DVD player only has S-Video. But I can see the difference between the two.

Thanks for the input!

FWIW one of the best sets I've seen is a 50" Sony Grand Wega DLP set at Sears... Might take another look at it. Just because we don't have the room for it now doesn't mean we won't in the next house- which we're hopefully going to be in some time next year or so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm looking to upgrade my "HT" television sometime likely in the next year or so and have a few questions. My setup is currently (don't laugh) a 35" Toshiba 4:3 CRT

• On Plasma televisions: who's got one, and have the manufacturers "solved" the longevity issue yet? When the sets first came out there were reviews that said the longevity of the Plasma sets was in question due to the gas leaking out. Is this a non-issue now? I don't want to drop $3k on a set only to have to replace it in 6-7 years.

• Aspect Ratio: If I'm watching regular TV on a large widescreen set (let's say plasma but it could easily be a DLP rear projection) does it always stretch the image to fit the, say, 16:9 aspect ratio? Or can you make it 4:3 with black bars on the sides? Or does it vary by set? This next set will be our main TV, used for TV watching, DVD movies, sports (hockey).

Now this is my first post in the home theater part of Arfcom. If any of you mooks refers me to another website "I shall be very put out" <--- name that movie quote.  

FWIW the rest of my system is an RCA DVD player on S-Video (and a PS2 on component input), with a Pioneer HT receiver and a mess of decent sounding speakers (Sonys for the 5 surround speakers, Klipsch for the sub) but the TV is what's getting replaced for now. Hopefully the receiver will get upgraded in 2007 but I have no idea.

Edit: and before anyone says "Sony speakers aren't decent" all I can say is: this is all in my living room, with a large bow window and another window. My neighbors are somewhat loud. All I ask for speakers at this point in my life is "don't hiss and pop randomly", and these don't. I have tested them. I may sound a little defensive, and I am. I took a look at the tacked "Show your home theater" thread at the top before I typed this post up and, well, I'm feeling some envy!  

I am currently leaning towards LCD, and the move quote I believe is Prince Humperdink in "Princess Bride".
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am currently leaning towards LCD, and the move quote I believe is Prince Humperdink in "Princess Bride".

Ding!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top