Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 8:56:19 AM EDT
Somebody told me the SS will refund your cash???  Sounds like BS but i just wanted to check.

I hope they catch the mother fucker!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]
DOT will handle the refunding of your money.

Water damage, fire damage, counterfiet...etc...

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
DOT will handle the refunding of your money.

Water damage, fire damage, counterfiet...etc...

so there is a possibility that i could get my money back????
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Somebody told me the SS will refund your cash???  Sounds like BS but i just wanted to check.

No, they won't.

Caveat Emptor

The local cops will tell you to call USSS, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they won't.

so they wont?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#5]
highly likely you'll get anything back no matter who you call. either frame it as art, keep it as a momento or "unknowingly" pass it off at a strip club or maybe a street fair falafal stand.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
or "unknowingly" pass it off at a strip club or maybe a street fair falafal stand.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Just notify the local bank
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes the bank will eat the costs if you got the bills from a bank. If you got it in another transaction, most likely you will be eating it.  They dont give money back because what is to stop people from making their own and returning it to the government for the real thing?  My mom got some fakes from a bank.  They refunded her money but we had 2 guys with sunglasses and suits visit our house. Spent an hour questioning everyone involved.  They take counterfeiting very seriously.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or "unknowingly" pass it off at a strip club or maybe a street fair falafal stand.

Nothing to see here!...Move along...
Just curiouse where did you get it from?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Hookers and blow!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they won't.

so they wont?

Nope.  I worked for a bank in the late 80's and never saw it happen.

ETA:  not from the SS at least.  The bank MIGHT if you notice it before you left the teller window.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd use the info available on the web to be sure it's counterfeit, if for instance you were told it was counterfeit because of one of those pens the merchants use.   There was a case where a doctor sued a drug store for defamation or false arrest because they used one of those, and the bill in question was ultimately determined to be genuine.

Also, consider how you received it.   If you got it for doing a lap dance, that's one thing.  
If it came from an ATM, that's another.  Banks are supposed to check them with their counting machine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Even if it's only one bill, the guys in dark suits will want to question you.

Do not pass it on, you are then guilty of passing funny money.  

You will not be reimbursed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hookers and blow.  The only way to spend funny money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I think you  may be confusing reimbursement of destroyed cash. If cash is damaged and you can prove that you had it (i.e. stacks of burned bills) they will replace them just as they replace damaged bills every day.

On the other had, a counterfit bill was never a real bill in the first place. It's just a piece of paper, so they won't replace it.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Either way its slim chances of u getting ur money back. But Local LE is who u call. secret service will only deal with it if its a certain amount.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saw a comic a while back that commented on this topic.

Two guys are strolling down the street and come upon a street vendor.

"Rolex Watches for $40" said the sign.

So the first guy pulls out two twenty's and gets a watch.

His buddy says to him "Those aren't real Rolex's you know."

"That's okay. Those weren't real $20's either."  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the lady at my post office would probably take it :)  You could try for a money order if they already trust you?

Go have fun at a bar and buy some women some drinks.  Have fun with it since apparently it's already illegal and you now have contraban.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Call "ComputerGuy" he seems to like talking to FEDS!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I regularly take reports of counterfeit currency. I am a municipal police officer. You local PD should take the report and the fake bill. They then call the SS. The SS has a data base that tracks the serial numbers and other features.

A common scam is to wash a $5 bill and use a scanner to print a $100 or $50 on the paper. The bills look ridiculous. Hold them to the light and you can see Abe Lincoln. hard to believe anyone would accept such a poorly made bill.

And no, the merchant/victim does not get their $ back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#22]
LIES! LIES! LIES! IT'S ALL LIES!

THEY'LL NEVER GIVE YOUR MONEY BACK!!!

Back about 1975 a friend of ours, a real nice pretty little girl we all grew up with and all knew to be honest, truthful, respectful, and a believer in the American Way, well she had fallen on hard times and got herself a last resort job in a laundry mat. It was Friday and she got her miserly check for 79.00 and proceeded to walk home and cash her check at the bank on the way.

So she cashed her check, and then walked to the local variety store next door to purchase some needed household items, which she did, and then she went home.

The next Monday she got a visit from the Secret Service at the laundry concerning the matter of a fake $20.00 bill she had passed at the local variety store on the previous Friday. She, scared stiff, told them she knew she had to have gotten the fake $20.00 from the bank because on payday afternoon she only had about $0.67 and any bills she had spent had to have come from the bank.

The bank said that was impossible, ridiculous, insane, etc.

Our friend, released by the SS, had to repay the variety store what she had spent there. The SS kept the fake $20.00 bill. The bank lied so they wouldn't lose $20.00 (we suspect they knew it was phony and passed it on to get rid of it). So, that week, our friend only made $59.00 (less what she had to pay for twice at the variety store). Everyone else made out except her.

That's all I know about phony money and what happens.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
A few months ago , the wife and I were eating lunch in a little diner . We overheard two guys at the next table discussing counterfeit bills . One of the guys had recieved one somewhere and had contacted the Sheriffs office . They told him to hold on to it and he would be contacted by someone . I assume the FBI ?   Anyway , he pulled it out and showed it to his friend . My wife , who works in the Accounting office of our local WalMart asked if she could see it . He passed it over and she was very impressed .  She said it was a damn good one . Had a lot of the little details that they know to look for .
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Call the local guys; they will notify the SS. You will be out the value of the bills involved. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Tons of fake bills out there.  USSS wont touch em unless you got a boatlaod or hardware (IE you catch them with paper, printers or washing gear)

This is my experience, at least.  I get calls weekly.

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#26]
You won't get your money back.

Once at a bank in Seattle I selected two bills out of the ten and handed them back to the teller and asked for real money, and I was only 19. They were really bad forgeries. The bank should have known. Instead they were trying to screw me over because I was a kid and no one would believe me if I complained.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top