Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2012 3:22:59 PM EDT
Anybody here still play CSS?

Its my go to game of choice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I still have it installed, but I'm just a pubber these days.  

I play more CS:GO than Source.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Only cheaters still play that game.  You must be a cheater.

I've moved on.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've moved on.

Granted there are some cheaters who play this game, I find that on a few well regulated service that crap is cut down to a minimum. There are quite a few excellent players too, that seem like they are cheating because they are really that good.

My brother is one of them, he has been playing first person shooters since they were invented. When he plays it amazes me how simple it is for him to headshot you without trying.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've moved on.

Granted there are some cheaters who play this game, I find that on a few well regulated service that crap is cut down to a minimum. There are quite a few excellent players too, that seem like they are cheating because they are really that good.

My brother is one of them, he has been playing first person shooters since they were invented. When he plays it amazes me how simple it is for him to headshot you without trying.

CSS died an early death. It wasn't really that good and took more away from the CS game than it put in.

I play 1.6 (WHX Servers) or CS:GO. GO only because it let us PC players rape the piss out of the console crowd for a couple days before our hunting parties brought the wrath of the Steam Gods and they removed the cross platform feature. The squeals of wrath and sounds it makes when they're throwing their controller in absolute frustration was music to my ears. I'm reasonably sure that I was personally the cause that some 16 year old console playing mouth breather beat the shit out of his dog. That game shut the console players who thought they'd be competitive with PC players up with extreme prejudice.

It was like I stole their fucking cloudsong while yelling "Leeroy Jenkins" and devoured a chicken leg.

Too bad they removed the cross platform play too. Raping suckers is fun, but stomping the fuck out of the console retards was literally the most fun I've ever had gaming. I'm hoping they bring it back at some point. It's not every day you get to be Muhammad Imar Bruce Lee .
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I was always more of a Soldier of Fortune/ SOF2 fan.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
It's amazing how many people still play it.  Haven't played it in years myself, but it was a blast a decade ago.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

What's amusing to me is the fact that the ORIGINAL CS gets more players than CS:Source.  I've heard it's because so many people in other countries still play it because their computers aren't as good (might be nonsense, but it sounds plausible.)

Counter Strike Peak Players today: 58,000

CSS: 40,000.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's amazing how many people still play it.  Haven't played it in years myself, but it was a blast a decade ago.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

What's amusing to me is the fact that the ORIGINAL CS gets more players than CS:Source.  I've heard it's because so many people in other countries still play it because their computers aren't as good (might be nonsense, but it sounds plausible.)

Counter Strike Peak Players today: 58,000

CSS: 40,000.

I played it, then moved on to Day of Defeat. Loved that game!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
CSS was a fucking abomination unto all that which is CS.

Of the currently active games, it goes:
CS 1.6
CS:GO
stapling my nuts to my desk
jerking it to Rosie O'Donnell
voting yes on gun control polls
CSS
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too many hackers.

This is often the cry of those who are absolutely awful at CS.

I get called a hacker every single time I pub.  I'm not.  I'm just really good at CS.  Always have been.  Even played it competitively for years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've moved on.

this, it was beyond awesome years ago, I don't think I have played it in over 5 years thou.  I am a BF3 junkie now
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I got sick of the rampant cheating and immature players interfering with proper gameplay while constantly yelling obscenities.  Also, the AWP was unbalanced and wound up dominating the field.  I actually preferred servers that banned it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got sick of the rampant cheating and immature players interfering with proper gameplay while constantly yelling obscenities.  Also, the AWP was unbalanced and wound up dominating the field.  I actually preferred servers that banned it.

This means you're not good enough to spot this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

CS 1.6
CSS

That's funny. For me it's

CS:S
Secret of the magic crystal
Dinner Date
Street Cleaning Simulator
CS 1.6

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too many hackers.

This is often the cry of those who are absolutely awful at CS.

I get called a hacker every single time I pub.  I'm not.  I'm just really good at CS.  Always have been.  Even played it competitively for years.

I know there are good players. The thing is that there was a free hack put out online that basically ruined that game.

There are free hacks for every FPS out there.  But many folks playing are a part of my generation and sadly we were raised (incorrectly) to believe that each of us was the best, no one was bad, and that skill was something that everyone had on equal footing.

This leads to everyone thinking that there are far more cheaters than there really are because it puts out the thought that anyone better than you is cheating.  It's simply not the case, but that battle cry gets taken up and echoed about the internet and all of a sudden cheating is a much bigger problem than it is.

(I'm not saying that cheating isn't a problem, either.  It is - just not as overblown a problem as message boards would lead you to believe.)
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#17]
It's the only game I still play but only a couple hours a week at most. I like gungame DM servers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Trust me I know that the "hacker" claim gets put out a lot. The guys I game with call people hackers all the time when clearly they are not, they just don't like getting beat. Its childish and I am not using it in the same sense that they do as in using it as a blanket excuse. Literally one day a free hack was released online for CSS and tons of people used it. It ruined the game for me and I stopped playing. I know that every game has a hack out for it but not all are free at least not to my knowledge. Most of them now you must pay monthly or a one time lump sum to use it.

Now I play with one guy who has $7k wrapped up in his gaming rig. He dominates 8 out of 10 games like clockwork. We all know him and know that he doesn't hack but the people who come on to our server don't know that. Another guy has $4-5k into his and he does very well consistently as well. These guys have also been playing for years longer than me and that has stuff to do with it as well.

I used to admin a CS:S server for Spawnpoint. After about a year it became a full-time job just keeping hackers under control so a couple maps could go by without massive issues.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#20]
If you weren't around when myg0t was releasing free hacks all the time, you don't know what true unabashed hacking looks like.

Watching a guy with a para headshot everyone on the map in like .26 seconds is both hilarious and enraging.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This means you're not good enough to spot this.

Whatever.  

I guess players running through walls and across the sky at 100 mph was due to my not being good enough.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you weren't around when myg0t was releasing free hacks all the time, you don't know what true unabashed hacking looks like.

Watching a guy with a para headshot everyone on the map in like .26 seconds is both hilarious and enraging.

I banned some of those myg0t tool bags.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I remember myg0t.

A lot of those multihacks had speedhacks + aimbot, like you said.  People would just knife the entire opposing team a second after the game started.

All those multihacks still exist in free form, they just get caught more quickly by Steam and PB.  The pay ones tend to evade bans longer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I banned some of those myg0t tool bags.

It was always fun to do so.

What sucked though is that some of the old school hacks were adjustable - so you could adjust how blatant your hack was.  That was when it got tough to catch these asshats.  "Was that just a quick reflex or a finely tuned aimbot?"

My favorite though was way back in the day - back in like 1.0 or 1.1 - was that the aimbot was color based.  They hacked the skins and outlined them in green and red.  The aimbot locked onto those colors and that's how it worked.  My favorite thing in the world was to make my spray a half green, half red rectangle and spray it in a choke point.  You'd find some kid stuck there 30 seconds later.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I play.

Not on a regular basis, but every once in a while.

We should get an arfcom game going.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Probably one of the most pervasive hacks is simply the nametags visible through anything variety.  75 percent of killing someone in these games is finding them first or getting behind them.  You don't even need an aimbot when you know someone is about to round a corner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#27]
For those that haven't played in a while, I haven't seen as much hacking as in the past.  All the retards have moved onto other games it looks like.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For those that haven't played in a while, I haven't seen as much hacking as in the past.  All the retards have moved onto other games it looks like.

Punkbuster has always been more powerful and quick to catch cheaters than Valve's anticheat.  Not that there aren't hacks aplenty out there for PB games, but they are more harsh (and effective) in their methods.

I haven't played any FPS games in a while, but I did play BF3 on and off in the first few months after release, and very rarely saw an (obvious) cheater.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#29]
there are a couple of us guys in 2A gaming clan that still play every now and then.  Steam name is -[2A]-Pokernut.    I am also a member of the ar15 steam group you can find me there.

Send me a message and ill let anyone no who is interested an invite.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

CS 1.6
CSS

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably one of the most pervasive hacks is simply the nametags visible through anything variety.  75 percent of killing someone in these games is finding them first or getting behind them.  You don't even need an aimbot when you know someone is about to round a corner.

I end up watching an hour of video every other night or so trying to determine if people are just camping choke/active points or if they do things that let them know someone is coming through an area.

Yeah, that's about all you can do I guess.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I end up watching an hour of video every other night or so trying to determine if people are just camping choke/active points or if they do things that let them know someone is coming through an area.

Yeah, that's about all you can do I guess.

you can hear footsteps if you have headphones on.
i loved assault then the cts were in the vents it was loud as hell
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was always more of a Soldier of Fortune/ SOF2 fan.

Ahh...memories.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top