Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:14:32 PM EDT
How long do you think it will be until Martial Law is officially announced in New Orleans. I guess 24 hours maybe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was already.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It is already but not helping.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it hasn't been officially announced yet?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

News Article

Unfortunately, the police and national guard are too busy saving people to enforce the walking trash that is looting and shooting

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

La does not have Martial law in their code from what i am told. It is already in effect though

+1 Thats what the radio said.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
There has yet to be a declaration of true FEMA induced martial law by Pres Bush. For some unknown reason he is holding off. I say he'll do it once the Marines are in position.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm bettin 72 hours to quarantine - that place has got to be cookin disease-wise....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

News Article

Unfortunately, the police and national guard are too busy saving people to enforce the walking trash that is looting and shooting

EPOCH

Drudge heard a rumor.

See My post.

New Orleans was placed under martial law    

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=384458&page=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martial law clarified

Tuesday, 9:02 p.m.

The state Attorney General's office on Tuesday sought to clarify reports in some media that "martial law' has been declared in parts of storm-ravaged southeast Louisiana, saying no such term exists in Louisiana law.

But even though no martial law exists, Gov. Kathleen Blanco's declaration of a state of emergency gives authorities widespread latitude to suspend civil liberties as they try to restore order and bring victims to safety. Under the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act of 1993, the governor and, in some cases, chief parish officials, have the right to commandeer or utilize any private property if necessary to cope with the emergency.

Authorities may also suspend any statute related to the conduct of official business, or any rule issued by a state agency, if complying would "prevent, hinder or delay necessary action'' to mitigate the emergency.

It also gives authority the right to compel evacuations, suspend alcohol and weapons sales and make provisions for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing.

The law gives mayors similar authority, except they do not have the right to commandeer private property or make provisions for emergency housing, according to a background brief prepared by the state Attorney General's office.

I heard about it from:
www.usconstitution.net/consttop_mlaw.html#examples
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunenately the Mayor of New Orleans and the Govenor of LA. will not ask or push for Martial Law. Apparently it was taken off their books according to the Gov..

They would prefer to have Bush declare it, But the wont publicly ask for it.

If Bush called for Martial Law the Dems wont to be able to distance themselves from it and blame Bush for every dead looters. They want to play the race card.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

News Article

EPOCH

Saving lives should the highest priority. Property can be replaced, and most should be covered by insurance. Let those scumbags have their 15 minutes of fame. But for all practical purposes I think martial law is more ready in place. The mayor of NOLA was ready on record of saying that I can take any private property in this emergency.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Louisiana removed the right for the Governor to declare Martial Law.

That part is out of their hands. Thay have to ask the President to get it. The Dems will have a field day if the President does use it.

BTW.. Note that the President has the Dept of Homeland Secrurity involved.

Thats the backdoor for future use.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I just saw a bunch of those NOLA people whining on the air about getting them out of there...should not have stayed. This is a hard lesson learned.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm bettin 72 hours to quarantine - that place has got to be cookin disease-wise....

with the people walking through that water that has unknown chemicals plus sewage in it there's definitely going to be a disease outbreak of some kind
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

with the people walking through that water that has unknown chemicals plus sewage in it there's definitely going to be a disease outbreak of some kind

And nobody is taking showers, either. It's simply going to compound itself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Give it one week; there will be nuclear diharrea coming out of NO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Gov't checks are due tomorrow. S will HTF
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh shit!

How do you recieve , cash or spend a .gov check under water?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just saw a bunch of those NOLA people whining on the air about getting them out of there...should not have stayed. This is a hard lesson learned.

No Shit, my wife and I are fuming listening to FNC, CBS.....ect talking to people who keep saying "tell us what to do", "tell us where to go"   bla, bla, bla, bla....

I have no sympathy for these people.  They had warning, they didn't listen, they stayed and looted, and now want someone to help them.

Help yourself.

eta...This was a good lesson to teach my sons.  They asked us why we didn't feel sorry for the people.   We told him that you have to rely on yourself....not others to help you....that is why he has his on SHTF bag.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Im in an infantry unit and am headed that way soon. So martial law may be right around the corner.?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Not until they have the manpower and facilities to enforce. Right now they dont have the manpower and if they did, they have no place to put the looters if they arrest them.
Once those two things are in place...lookout.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top