Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:21:06 PM EDT
Or do you live on less than $30K,

If so, do you have a house paymen or rent?

I'm trying to move out again asap, I just turned 23 and have lived on my own last year but I was making quite a bit less and things just didn't work out and I moved when my lease was up at the apartment I was at.
While I don't make a whole lot, I do have descent credit, low to mid 700's and have been approved for a mortgage for $60,000 with a payment of $260ish so with insurance and everything probably more like $450-500

On paper, I should be able to do it but having been there before, it never works out the way I think. Just curious how others do it.
Don't just say get a higher paying job, I love this job and have moved up quite a bit each year we grow. I have helped this company get pretty far and don't want to walk out now and I believe if I stick around it will work out for the better for me.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't pay my taxes on that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure, you can live on less than 30K

However, at 23 most people should not buy a house.

There's a lot that goes into home ownership, and it nails you down.

Keep your options open and just rent unless you get a deal that's just too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I couldn't pay my taxes on that.

I love these threads.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I get about $13k a year.  Here's how my bills stack up.

Rent- $350

Electric- $80

DirecTV- $55

Rides to work- $40 (no car...neighbor drives me- it's about 1.5mi. round trip)

Groceries- $200

So, that leaves about $300 for ammo and toys each month.

Seems to work just dandy for me.  Would I like more?  Absolutely.  I'm good, though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
We live on less than that.  We own a mobile home on family land.  I can't work because of health issues.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
married college student here.
We live on about $31k.

currently selling as many guns as I can to pay bills if that tells you anything. I also sell my body ––-

I sell my plasma
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I get about $13k a year.  Here's how my bills stack up.

Rent- $350

Electric- $80

DirecTV- $55

Rides to work- $40 (no car...neighbor drives me- it's about 1.5mi. round trip)

Groceries- $200

So, that leaves about $300 for ammo and toys each month.

Seems to work just dandy for me.  Would I like more?  Absolutely.  I'm good, though.

That's cool. I have to have a car but I will likely never have payments again. I had a 2008 and a 2010 and that was part of the reason it didn't work out the first time, $300 a month for a truck... Never again.
Curent daily driver is a '97 Explorer 4x4 that I got for $1,000
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
i am living on selling off my gun collection right now.  been working well, but i am about to run out of guns.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
About 15k a year for the last 4 years. I can't wait to graduate. GI bill was roughly about 10.5-11k of that and the rest was taken out of savings from my army days. It will be nice to start having more then a substance income here shortly.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i am living on selling off my gun collection right now.  been working well, but i am about to run out of guns.

This is not where I want to be but of course will if I have to. I would never get rid of everything but would definately trim the fat if need be.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not where I want to be but of course will if I have to. I would never get rid of everything but would definately trim the fat if need be.

I said the same thing 6 months ago.

be smart about this my friend.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Or do you live on less than $30K,

If so, do you have a house paymen or rent?

I'm trying to move out again asap, I just turned 23 and have lived on my own last year but I was making quite a bit less and things just didn't work out and I moved when my lease was up at the apartment I was at.
While I don't make a whole lot, I do have descent credit, low to mid 700's and have been approved for a mortgage for $60,000 with a payment of $260ish so with insurance and everything probably more like $450-500

On paper, I should be able to do it but having been there before, it never works out the way I think. Just curious how others do it.
Don't just say get a higher paying job, I love this job and have moved up quite a bit each year we grow. I have helped this company get pretty far and don't want to walk out now and I believe if I stick around it will work out for the better for me.

i'm going to get absolutely raped for this, althought by saying you are trying to move out asap i guess your home life sucks, but sitting back and saving mad money for a little while might be extremely beneficial.....especially if you have a gf or something you are serious about and might move forward with kinda soon.

i have a cuz who is a little over 30 who went though a divorce and stuff a little over a year ago and couldnt find anywhere else decent to live so he moved back in and now owns an M3 among many other things.  Last i heard he has given up on finding somewhere and its building a house for himself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Truck-570
Rent-600
Utilities-100
Student Loans-170
Insurance-170
Phone-90
Medical bills-20
Gas-200
Groceries-160

Im probably forgetting stuff, but this is my monthly bills.

Bring home, just BARELY 33k as a Corrections Officer.

I took a pay cut, went from a Supervisor for Marketing Company, and working as a Bouncer Thursday-Saturday.
To this bullshit job in Vermont
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I am living on less than half of that. Barely.

but of course my house payment is under $300/m. However I am not able to save up for emergencies.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Unfortunately no. I'm 23 also and my house payments alone are $20k.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I bring home less than 24k a year.  No iphone, no big ass flat screen TV, no vidya games and expensive clothes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I only made 20k last year. I only pay rent on an apartment. No car payment.

I am a college junior. I have 3k in student loans so far. I pay with my money, not taking the full loan amounts.

I struggle right now, but I think it'll be worth it in end.

My gun collection consists of one AR and one PMag That's it...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Will this thread turn into a dick swinging contest like they usually do?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
not in So Cal
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Keep your options open and just rent unless you get a deal that's just too good to pass up.

I agree with the whole being tied down thing but there are plenty of foreclosures in the area so I wouldn't have to move into the ghetto because $60K for a house is cheap but I can get one more out in the country these days with houses being low and my work isn't too far from the "country" I am talking about. Hell, right now I live in a busy city only about 7 miles from my work and it still takes me well over 20-25 minutes to go one direction.

The only appartments around for that same payment are pretty shady and I don't like apartments but would put up with it if I had to.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes if I was single I could get by on 30k. No I would not buy a house, or have a car payment. I would not stay at a low paying job too long based on the hopes of raises that may not come.

+1

I have done sub 30k per year.  I endeavour to avoid it again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#23]
23 and single yes I could live very well on that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I did it just fine when I was single making about 26k when I was younger (about 7 years ago)

studio apartment, used car with no payment.

had plenty of money saved up.  Just eat at home and save your money until something better comes along.

Some people say not to buy a house but the way things are right now I save a few hundred bucks paying my mortgage compared to renting and I get an extra bedroom and a yard rather than a shitty apartment.

If you can find a cheap enough house that you actually want to live it it might be the right move.  Worst case scenario you start over but if the moretgage is cheaper than rent youll have more savings.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes if I was single I could get by on 30k. No I would not buy a house, or have a car payment. I would not stay at a low paying job too long based on the hopes of raises that may not come.

I get your point. I am pretty young still and every year I have been getting some pretty good raises, this year I went up $4,000 and my boss knows I need more so I believe he will come through as he usually does. Here soon enough I will have to make a decision as to exactly what I want to do. After another good season I should know where I stand. For the longest time I have wanted to be a LEO but havn't gone through with it yet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#26]
already do
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with the whole being tied down thing but there are plenty of foreclosures in the area so I wouldn't have to move into the ghetto because $60K for a house is cheap but I can get one more out in the country these days with houses being low and my work isn't too far from the "country" I am talking about. Hell, right now I live in a busy city only about 7 miles from my work and it still takes me well over 20-25 minutes to go one direction.

The only appartments around for that same payment are pretty shady and I don't like apartments but would put up with it if I had to.

Houses are selling slowly in this market.  

You also have to pay a realtor to sell it, and make sure it's GTG to show to perspective buyers.

All the while you are responsible for the payments, taxes, upkeep.

You are 23 yrs old and making under 30K/yr.  You can go anywhere and accept a better job or transfer whenever you want.

Why do you want to be anchored to a mortgage when you can rent, give notice and move whenever you want?

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Last time I did the math, my bills, cigarettes, food, etc. add up to around 22k a year. Anything beyond that gets spent on toys, investments, is saved, etc. I could live on a lot less but I really like to eat out. 30k for a 23 year old isn't bad at all.

ETA: It helps if you wear rubbers, too.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

i'm going to get absolutely raped for this, althought by saying you are trying to move out asap i guess your home life sucks, but sitting back and saving mad money for a little while might be extremely beneficial.....especially if you have a gf or something you are serious about and might move forward with kinda soon.

i have a cuz who is a little over 30 who went though a divorce and stuff a little over a year ago and couldnt find anywhere else decent to live so he moved back in and now owns an M3 among many other things.  Last i heard he has given up on finding somewhere and its building a house for himself.

Home life definately doesn't suck but once you have lived on your own, you never want to go back...and that's where I am. Tiny room now but my parents are really cool. Thing is, they are thinking about buying this house way out in a small town of less than 1000 people. It's well over 5,000 sq. feet and if they did, they would give me about half of the house for myself. This would include my own entryway, staircase and at least two rooms upstairs and two fire places. It's a mid 1800's home but it's awesome. This is mainly what is stalling my decision. If they got that house, I would never see them, lol and it would be a lot less annoying than how it is now...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I live just fine on less than 30k. Then again I am a college student, with a full ride for school and I work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:04:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Not now, but I consider that a great goal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#34]
30K is easy.

Just eliminate everything unnecessary and impractical, and get creative for fun.

Half the folks around here would Kill for 30K a year, and raise Familys on less.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I make less than that.  I easily get by. Car is paid off, rent is under $500, low bills, and I eat at home almost exclusively.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#36]
No...Well, I could... but it would suck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I have lived on 30k a year, bought a house and went to school while working a $10/hour job.  It is not that hard to do if you live with in your means.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I make less than that.  I easily get by. Car is paid off, rent is under $500, low bills, and I eat at home almost exclusively.

This seems to be very important. What sucks is I work on the road and am always tempted by fast food. Only $4 a day adds up...quick.
I would have to take my lunch no matter what. However, i would probably eat out on like Fridays or something as a treat but this is a habit I need to break, one to save a lot of money and another to get healthier.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I've done it but money was extra tight. I had a car payment at the time too. No eating out, no cable TV, basic cell phone. Studio apartment.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I live on about 12K a year now. Due to medical conditions. I went from 6 figures my last two real earning years, to less than 40K for the last year, and then to disability. Luckily my home is paid off. Still, with property taxes and all the other taxes, bills in general it's damn tough. Raising a son that has medical problems with zero help from his mother for the most part, until recently has been hard. We get through somehow. I miss my old lifestyle to a certain degree at times, but I can deal with it knowing that I can get through it with God's help. Also, good friends and what you have mean so much more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Right now, all my living expenses add up to $1400 a month, or $16,800 a year.

I also spend about $300 a month on discretionary stuff (a.k.a., buying crap I don't need). Everything then totals $20,400/year.

I pay $500 a month rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in NE Ohio.

I don't have a fancy cell phone, just $50 per month for talk & text.

Car is paid off. Insurance is about $100 for full coverage.

I spend WAY too much on food like Subway & Chipotle. I could probably cut out $200 a month from eating out, but since all my other expenses are low I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#42]
short answer, nope.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I live on about 12K a year now. Due to medical conditions. I went from 6 figures my last two real earning years, to less than 40K for the last year, and then to disability. Luckily my home is paid off. Still, with property taxes and all the other taxes, bills in general it's damn tough. Raising a son that has medical problems with zero help from his mother for the most part, until recently has been hard. We get through somehow. I miss my old lifestyle to a certain degree at times, but I can deal with it knowing that I can get through it with God's help. Also, good friends and what you have mean so much more.

Damn. Glad you are still doing as well as you can. You are right, good friends and family are very important, guns, tv's, etc. are just things...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I do currently while going to school full-time......it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I just added up my expenses, and I could just barely cover them on $30k/yr. Even a small monkey wrench in the mix, and it would hurt. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about such things at this time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Easily.

I do and I invest all the rest.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I wouldn't know what to do with all the extra money.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Right now I can't live with a 30K budget, but I did when I was 21 up till I was 26 years old. You can always rent a room or make a small private apt and rent it which would help with the house payment. A part time job also helps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This seems to be very important. What sucks is I work on the road and am always tempted by fast food. Only $4 a day adds up...quick.
I would have to take my lunch no matter what. However, i would probably eat out on like Fridays or something as a treat but this is a habit I need to break, one to save a lot of money and another to get healthier.

Yeah I'm working on getting fitter for sure, but I sat down a few months ago and looked at my expenses, and over half of my non-fixed expenses were going towards eating out.  You can spend very little if you fix your own meals.  I probably spend less than $50 / week on food now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Right now I can't live with a 30K budget, but I did when I was 21 up till I was 26 years old. You can always rent a room or make a small private apt and rent it which would help with the house payment. A part time job also helps.

Good point. If my parents get this house, my section would probably be 1500+ sq. feet and my rent would likely be the same as it is now, around $200
I am salary but have a lot of down time in the winter that I have often thought about getting a part time job to get some extra money but with the job being so busy, the time off is so nice but I think I will have to find a part time gig if just for emergency money in a savings account because living so tight will leave very little to save.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top