Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/10/2002 8:41:21 AM EDT
This is one of my pictures in my High School Yearbook. And no I didn't go to a rural school. Some of you may recall an earlier thread on St. Petersburg. I grew up in a third-world, ghetto, crime-infested, war-zone, known as South St. Petersburg. [8D] This is from Lakewood (The "Wood"for those that know) 1978's yearbook. There were three of us in this section, called the "Senior Hall of Fame", that had our pictures taken with shotguns. [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/BigGuns%2FDSCF1630%2EJPG[/img] Could it happen today?
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:05:07 AM EDT
Uh oh.... Look where the gun is aimed ! Is St. Petersburg near McUZI's home town? [:D]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:16:49 AM EDT
L.M.A.O That was pretty good RBAD
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 10:09:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RBAD: Uh oh.... Look where the gun is aimed ! Is St. Petersburg near McUZI's home town? [:D]
View Quote
Doh! But you should see where my other gun is pointing?! McUzi lives near me, only about 4 hours away!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 6:50:00 AM EDT
Bruthah's got a serious fro....
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:23:26 AM EDT
Oh the 70s.... The Village People, KC and the Sunshine Band, Disco, Leisure Suits. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:36:20 AM EDT
I would bet money that a picture of a student holding a gun would not be in a yearbook today i graduated in 78 Walter
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:49:44 AM EDT
you wore an amish beard in high school? brave fashion!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:00:39 AM EDT
Didn't I see you on an episode of 'Dukes of Hazzard'?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 8:04:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2002 8:05:17 AM EDT by BallisticTip]
Is that Buckwheat on the right ? [@:D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2002 6:46:57 AM EDT by BigGuns]
The guy with the 'fro (as was the style), just so you know, anchored the Florida champion 4X100 relay team, Mile relay team, and had a state record in the 110 hurdles. His nickname was "Booty-Rock", and he was a #2 guard in basketball, and a flanker in football. He could have been great in football, but was too good in track, and that kept him out of football his senior season. Later, he was an alternate in the Olympics, as a sprinter! Good one, CampyBob! Actually, I was shaving my beard off in stages, after the football season. I didn't cut my hair, or shave from the time two-a-days started, until after our last game. I believe to be "Amish" style, though, I would not have a mustache, either! [?]BTW- What kind of beard did you have in High School, or did you have pubic hair, yet!? (Couldn't resist) [8D] Normally, I had more of a "Grizzly Adams" type beard with blond and red hair above my chin. Was pretty damned hungover on this day, too. We almost forgot that our pictures were that day. The pictures were taken at a city-owned nature park, and they let us in with guns, too! It's in the middle of the city in St. Pete, on the southside. Ahhh, the days of legal drinking in highschool! I would gladly have been on the "Dukes of Hazard", if they gave me the car, and let me have a run at Daisy Duke! That would be better than being the banjo boy in "Deliverance"! Marvl, except for KC, you're a sick man!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:57:49 AM EDT
So, have you seen Ned Beatty lately? {sounds of banjos playing in the background}
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:39:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2002 7:41:42 AM EDT by dieselpwer]
Yeah you could still do this. I graduated in 99 and had a couple of buddies that had their senior pictures taken with firearms. And that was after Columbine! Diesel Edited to add........... If you think about it, it's not that big of deal, the senior pictures are not taken at the school.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:10:41 AM EDT
My class was the Class of '75. We built black powder pistols from kits in metal shop. Everybody carried squirtguns, try that now. My best friend and I "played" the 12 gauge shotguns during our band's rendition of the 1812 Overture - blank loads into steel trashcans offstage. Sure sounded like cannons! Our Model Rocket club disbanded after the first launch day. The school looked like it had suffered a mortar barrage. Ah, the good ol' days!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:56:01 AM EDT
BigGuns, Nice photo for a yearbook. True story: On a fine Saturday morning in 1970, an hour before daylight. Two teenage boys, too young to drive, carrying uncased semi-auto shotguns, a slung, scoped .22-250 and hundred or so rounds of ammo. Walking down the shoulder of the interstate, ten miles out of Baltimore. Local LEO passing by stops and asks "How's it going?" and "What's up?" Teenagers explain: "We're headed to ____'s farm to crow hunt at dawn and to shoot pigeons around the barns later." LEO says "Hop in, I'm going right past there and I'll drop you off." One of us gets in front, the other in back and a long walk is now a short ride. Drops us at the farm and leaves. Period. The End. The LEO never asked our names or ages. Never looked directly at our firearms. Didn't wake the farmer's household to verify 'story'. No badge-heavy interrogation, no arrests, no searches, no 'running your ID', just an honest chat and a courteous ride among law abiding citizens. Exactly what the situation called for. Boy, for the 'Good Ol' Days" again. In contrast: Two or three months ago, with written permission, we 'sneak' our shotguns, caller and decoys over to the same farm, set up, call in a few crows and blast 'em. Several officers arrive in minutes in two or three cruisers running "code red", scare the birds, tear up the field, point their damn pistols at us, command us to drop our "weapons" in plowed field, ask to search us and our bags of lunches and shotgun shells (No). Then they want to see our guns and write down the serial numbers "just in case" (No), copy our down ID info "just in case", call HQ for wants/warrants, look at hunting licenses and permission slips, quiz us on what's "in season", ask why we would want to waste time to go shoot crows, etc.. Finally, after putting us through this aggravation and ruining the AM hunt, they tell us "everything is OK here". But then they want to know "How long are you going to do this, so we can explain to the neighbors". We tell them "all day and the rest of the week" even though we know won't be back to this farm for a month or more. Then they leave, running over crops and decoys as they go. They go to the farmhouse and check our intent and permission with the farmer, making it seem as if we caused some sort of trouble. Times have indeed changed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 10:55:29 AM EDT
Oh, how times change. I graduated in 1990. For our prom, the Junior class had to sell magazines subscritions to fund the prom. Whoever sold the most subscriptions won a prize (not some cheap rinky-dink prize either; they were always worth about $200-$300) My best friend my junior year wound up selling the most subscriptions and he won the big prize. He had his choice of $200 cash or a rifle. But this wasn't just any rifle; it was a .22 caliber rifle that looks like an AR-15.[8D][8D][8D] You think they would do that now????
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 11:39:19 AM EDT
Wow, eshell, the second part of your story SUCKS! Always thought Maryland as quite a sportsmans state, but I guess subrban sprawl happens. You know the farmers "neighbors" are not farmers, obviously, as they would have called him rather than the police. drs611- That sounds like my kind of school. Where about in AL was that. I went to TSU, and have a lot of friends around the state, still.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:28:41 PM EDT
BigGuns, The officers said they always respond in force to "shots fired" for their own safety. At my grandparents farm, where I grew up and lived for years, we get 'new' neighbors each time they develop a piece of nearby land. Each new neighbor feels compelled to live in the country, but doesn't like what country living actually represents. They complain about tractor noise, dogs barking (mostly at their kids trespassing), dust, manure smell - you name it. Lucky for them we don't do hogs, at least they can breathe. I still go over there to shoot and the last time a new neighbor called, the police said the complaint was "someone is running through the woods shooting an automatic". We had fired exactly two shots from a single-shot benchrest rifle into the 100 yd backstop. BTW, they too came in past 'no tresspass' signs and through cultivated fields to harass us. Red NRA range flag up meant nothing to them; "We weren't looking for a flag" Officers will not say who complained. I told them I had a right to know and they said I wasn't being charged with anything. Complaints to the watch commander get apologies and promises to 'talk to' these zealous officers, but each time is the same. Like watching a Lethal Weapon movie. I think I got it figured out now - we got some Tannerite exploding targets. After proper indoctrination with those, a few rifle rounds from time to time shouldn't bother them. They should have "left well enough alone". You're right, I need to move away.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2002 1:05:52 PM EDT by dsr611]
Originally Posted By BigGuns: drs611- That sounds like my kind of school. Where about in AL was that. I went to TSU, and have a lot of friends around the state, still.
View Quote
This was a small high school north of Mobile.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:31:06 PM EDT
My leisure photo on my senior half-page shows me with an M1919-A6 going full auto. Of course, I went to a military school. We had a rifle team, and prior to the 1980s the corps had real weapons (including 60mm mortars, recoilless rifles, M2, and M1919 Brownings, along with a crapload of Garands) instead of just plugged drill rifles.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:54:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eshell: At my grandparents farm, where I grew up and lived for years, we get 'new' neighbors each time they develop a piece of nearby land. Each new neighbor feels compelled to live in the country, but doesn't like what country living actually represents. They complain about tractor noise, dogs barking (mostly at their kids trespassing), dust, manure smell - you name it. Lucky for them we don't do hogs, at least they can breathe. ..................... You're right, I need to move away.
View Quote
It's amazing how people will move into a place and know what it's about when they do, then think they can just change things by complaining after they are there. My father-in-law has had similar problems with a huge apartment complex built right next to his Greyhound kennel. The place is right across from a dog track, and the land they built on was an old dog kennel. After they finish building, they start complaining about the dogs barking, the smell, and even cruelty to animals, with different agencies responding to my FIL's property on a more than regular basis. The idea is to harass him out of his property, and sounds like the same kind of neighbors you encountered. The problem for these pricks is that my father-in-law is a stubborn rich, Irish SOB, and has a great lawyer. Too bad there's no hunting on his property! Over 800 greyhounds at one point, though!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:58:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dsr611: This was a small high school north of Mobile.
View Quote
I have some good friends from Fairhope, and Mobile area. We used to play rugby in Mobile, at the Springhill Invitational every year, anyway. I always liked coastal Alabama area, and especially those little crab claws, and oysters!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:09:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Redmanfms: My leisure photo on my senior half-page shows me with an M1919-A6 going full auto. Of course, I went to a military school. We had a rifle team, and prior to the 1980s the corps had real weapons (including 60mm mortars, recoilless rifles, M2, and M1919 Brownings, along with a crapload of Garands) instead of just plugged drill rifles.
View Quote
DUDE! that is cool! At my school, a leisure picture would probably have all of the following in it except those fine weapons you mention; bong Budweiser (OR a keg) boat Bikini, or not suntan oil joint sunglasses doobie Outlaws concert, or Skynyrd, MTB, Jimmy Buffet, (you get it) spliff bonfire naked girls on sailboats or on the beach (A word of advice: If you're ever out deep sea fishing, and see a sailboat, always take a run by it if not too far off your course!) sharkfishing surfing skiing tubing getting lit ,,, but we were young and didn't know any better!
Top Top