Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 1:04:17 PM EDT
As I was sitting here searching the internet for cheap, non-neutered magazines, I began to wonder if this whole sunset deal could backfire on us.  Don't get me wrong, I think it was completely ineffective not to mention unconstitutional.  But it seems that with all of the publicity and misinformation, we could be facing an even more strict and far-reaching law even if Bush is re-elected.  I'm basing this concern on all of the polls that indicate that 80%+ of people favor extending the ban.  I don't think this is due to DU fire missions - I think that people don't understand the issue and believe the ban related to machine guns (read gangbangers with AK47s).  Everytime I see another mainstream story spreading lies, I cringe.  They never present the argument from the other side (our side), so everyone assumes the law banned full-auto AKs (not that I think those should be illegal either, but let's take it one step at a time).

So convice me why I shouldn't be scared to death of seeing another, more extensive ban pass in the very near future, because I believe that a lot of so-called conservatives would sell us out in a minute if they believed that would realize a net political gain after considering lost votes vs won votes.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been scaring people for a while. If it was going to happen, it was going to happen. The dems would not stand for a renewal. Don't kid yourself. If they thought theyhad the votes they would go all out. Look at HR2038.

Now that it's gone, it can mean either they are biding their time and using their connections in the media to mold public opinion to the point where even conservative representitives feel "forced" to vote for it to keep their seats, or they are accepting defeat on this ground. What do you think?

I'm optimistic, but not that optimistic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The only bad thing about it is I've spent WAY TOO much money!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with you to some extent because if you were getting your information from the media the last few weeks about the AWB your head would be all screwed. They are acting like the AWB had something to do with machine guns and now everyone will be carrying machine guns around and "spraying" down school children just because they have the right gun now. They are not reporting the fact that the ban had nothing to do with automatic weapons and sure as shit didn't ban the semi-auto weapons they keep showing on tv because I have bought them in the last ten years BRAND NEW from gun shops. Why won't they show a post ban vs. a preban and see if some of these gun grabbers can even tell the difference. Fucking numbskulls, I swear.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
In a word.....

NO
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as Republicans have the votes in the House and Senate, "No!" is the answer.  If things hold, the Dems will lose seats in both Houses.  Soon Kool-Aid drinkers will be all that's left in the Democrat Party.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
uhhhhh... NO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top