Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Thatll get you chicks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
eh, their money
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Show cars arent about practical, they are about drawing as many people as possible.

That said, they must have some rediculously powerful linear actuators to do some of that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Saudis.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is just stupid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPB4y3aABts

And theres some people that call "EBR's" worthless.

But yes, it is very fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that a fucking Honda?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20ijBj4Pjo&mode=related&search=
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Why?  I don't get it.  What's the point?

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
some people have too much money
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Attention whores.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
honestly if i had the money i would do it it would be funny to see the reaction of people at stop light.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20ijBj4Pjo&NR=1

Some here are just as stupid.

All these vehicles will eventually end up in the crusher.  For a lot of them, it couldn't happen too soon.  

Some of these make me want to beat the owner until his sense comes back.  But anyone
who'd like those cars never HAD any sense.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, come on now. Irrational conspicuous consumption is the driving force behind our economy. These guys are making our lives better by spending their money on worthless shit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#14]
All that spinning and they don't even show if they have motorized CLOSING features??
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hey, come on now. Irrational conspicuous consumption is the driving force behind our economy. These guys are making our lives better by spending their money on worthless shit.

They aren't Americans, they are Saudis. The guys in the first video, at least.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]
What a bunch of idiots all you haters are.  For these  guys in the vids, a car is a canvas, a chance to engineer something different, a way to compete, a platform for creativity.  Who gives a fuck if it's functional or logical, it's what they choose to do with their money while the rest of us spend thousands of dollars on guns.  You drive your truck full of expensive guns to the range, they drive their modified cars to car shows.  Just remember that the 12 guns you own are no less an example of conspicuous consumption.  While our guns serve a different purpose, beyond the first 2 or 3, we're buying to satisfy a hobby just like the car guys.

That said, some of those cars are UGLY (I judge them like I judge art, but I still respect them for what they are....)
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What a bunch of idiots all you haters are.  For these  guys in the vids, a car is a canvas, a chance to engineer something different, a way to compete, a platform for creativity.  Who gives a fuck if it's functional or logical, it's what they choose to do with their money while the rest of us spend thousands of dollars on guns.  You drive your truck full of expensive guns to the range, they drive their modified cars to car shows.  Just remember that the 12 guns you own are no less an example of conspicuous consumption.  While our guns serve a different purpose, beyond the first 2 or 3, we're buying to satisfy a hobby just like the car guys.

That said, some of those cars are UGLY (I judge them like I judge art, but I still respect them for what they are....)

Sorry dude, but if you attached a rotating chrome ACOG to your rifle, you would be ridiculed here too.

Obviously that is a farfetched example, but this all boils down to the age old "show vs. go" argument. ARFCOM always has flame wars relating to "too much tacticoolness" and so on. Car forums are the same way. If the guy had spent all that cash on making it faster or handle better, then the response would have been positive, guaranteed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry dude, but if you attached a rotating chrome ACOG to your rifle, you would be ridiculed here too.

Obviously that is a farfetched example, but this all boils down to the age old "show vs. go" argument. ARFCOM always has flame wars relating to "too much tacticoolness" and so on. Car forums are the same way. If the guy had spent all that cash on making it faster or handle better, then the response would have been positive, guaranteed.

That's exactly my point.....If you've ever shown a car (particularly at the import shows), all the speed in the world doesn't buy you much while it's sitting on the show field.  It's about what you've done WRT to "show value" that counts.  It's about doing something that hasn't been done, or bringing something that nobody else brought.  You can't approach it with a functionalist attitude because art seldom is functional, it's, well....art.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And I can think someone is an idiot for doing that to a car.

Thats what makes this country great.  Dont like it?  Hit the road, Jack.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you see the camber of the back wheels?

Also, did you see the doors/trunk lid/hood? out of
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I gave up on any rational explanation when every other vehicle on the road showed up with some kind of wing in the rear.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and I can think you're an idiot for thinking they're an idiot.  That's what makes this country great.   Don't like it?  Hit the road, Jack.

Seriously though, those guys are no more idiots than any artist, they just use different tools.   They're trying to create something unique that people (maybe not you) look at and go "Damn, that's amazing".  Nobody needs spinning doors on a car, but from an engineering standpoint, it's pretty cool, and something that car-show spectators are likely to remember.  Again, you have to stop looking at the car as simply a conveyance and it makes more sense.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and I can think you're an idiot for thinking they're an idiot.  That's what makes this country great.   Don't like it?  Hit the road, Jack.

Seriously though, those guys are no more idiots than any artist, they just use different tools.   They're trying to create something unique that people (maybe not you) look at and go "Damn, that's amazing".  Nobody needs spinning doors on a car, but from an engineering standpoint, it's pretty cool, and something that car-show spectators are likely to remember.  Again, you have to stop looking at the car as simply a conveyance and it makes more sense.

The difference between you and me is I'm not crying about you thinking I'm an idiot.

And they are not freaking "artists".  That in itself is retarded to call them that.

eta:  It IS amazing but its still retarded and worthless.  That doesnt change anything.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference between you and me is I'm not crying about you thinking I'm an idiot.

And they are not freaking "artists".  That in itself is retarded to call them that.

eta:  It IS amazing but its still retarded and worthless.  That doesnt change anything.

Who's crying?  I'm making observations just like you, my feelings aren't hurt.

And these guys are artists...look at the paint jobs on some of those cars.  Could you do that (assuming you wanted to)?

Retarded? doubt it...it takes some skills to make those kinds of modifications work properly.  Worthless?  As previously stated by another poster, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I can't imagine paying a million dollars for any painting, but there are some that definitely have that worth to collectors despite MY personal opinion.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 Who gives a fuck if it's functional or logical,

You are located in Va and think like this. You are employed by the fed.gov aren't you?
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's crying?  I'm making observations just like you, my feelings aren't hurt.

And these guys are artists...look at the paint jobs on some of those cars.  Could you do that (assuming you wanted to)?

Retarded? doubt it...it takes some skills to make those kinds of modifications work properly.  Worthless?  As previously stated by another poster, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I can't imagine paying a million dollars for any painting, but there are some that definitely have that worth to collectors despite MY personal opinion.

No, they arent artists.  If I had experience in doing paint jobs of course I could do it.  

Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder and most of the beholders are calling it "retarded" and "worthless".  Thank you for proving my point.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Who cares?  
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Who cares?  

You do, enough to post obviously.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Someone has been jerking off to the Transformers movie trailer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Those are as bad as the blow-off valve machine someone posted a couple weeks ago...
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who cares?  

Yeah...that's it.  

Seriously, do these guys bother you that much that you think what they enjoy doing is retarded and worthless?

ETA:  For the record, I wasn't even addressing you in my first post.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I kept having flashbacks to those old movies of aircraft that never quite got off the ground.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Because the side tubes on my Vltor don't spin around and light up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]
w00t! Deh iz da bomb!!!

…NOT!
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who cares?  

Yeah...that's it.  

Seriously, do these guys bother you that much that you think what they enjoy doing is retarded and worthless?

ETA:  For the record, I wasn't even addressing you in my first post.  

I just sayin
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I hate that!
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Several points:

First, and most important, the people in the first video are from Saudi Arabia. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that they did absolutely ZERO work themselves. You want to congratulate the artist, it was probably some guy in Europe, or some European or American who moved to Saudi Arabia just to customize cars for rich stupid people.

Case in point, this car. The difference is that I do find this car to be a work of art, because of the amount of craftsmanship and sheer amount of man hours that went into it. Built by MTM.

My second point, though along the same lines, is that slapping wheels and fancy rotating doors on a car and then slamming it without addressing other obvious issues is not art, again, it is stupidity. You're trying to make it sound sophisticated and amazing...then you call people idiots if they don't approve? Not very sophisticated...more like a whiny child trying to overjustify something.

Here are cars that are works of art. I may not like the brand or the style but I like the result and the amount of work put into them. Also, these cars have the oomph to back up the looks.

This car, even before it was run over? No. Not a work of art.

Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Just because they pay someone to paint a car in a custom way does not make them artists. It makes them the customer of a body shop.

I seriously doubt any of them painted their own vehicles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top