BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/18/2007 9:14:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if licensing and vehicle inspection requirements were increased.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Not when you have vehicles like this still on public roadways.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
i thought they had something like this out west somewhere. but they where forced to put in speed limits? i heard that somewhere
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
It works in Germany because the country is pretty small.  The US is huge.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Isnt there already some thing like that in Montana or Colorado? Vehicles like that ruck need to stay in the right lane, no big deal. As long as the law is strictly enforced it should be kosher. Problem is you have those idiots going 54 in the left lane and get angry and when someone tries to pass them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
No
the construction and maintenance budget would be too high
the vehicle requirements too great
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i thought they had something like this out west somewhere. but they where forced to put in speed limits? i heard that somewhere

Montana IIRC.
The limit was defined as "reasonable and prudent" speed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#8]
No.  On second thought, only if the vehicles could pass a TÜV-like safety inspection, their drivers would pass a licensing exam comparable to Germany's, and the way the laws were enforced would change.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
it will be one lawsuit away from closing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
We do...it's called Montana.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are referring to the speed limits, the answer is no.   There is an entire industry built upon the revenue they generate.  

Some of the poorer States depend on it.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#12]
HELL NO!

People in Germany actually drive in the right lane and use the left for passing, which is what makes the autobahn work.  Here...not so much.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Trying to introduce it here would be like giving a monkey a gun.  Too many idiots who would think it's their "right" to drive 55 mph in whatever lane they want.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No.  On second thought, only if the vehicles could pass a TÜV-like safety inspection, their drivers would pass a licensing exam comparable to Germany's, and the way the laws were enforced would change.

Yep, gotta babysit the idiots. Prudence would tell you that if your car ran like crap and your rear left wheel was about to fall off that you shouldn't be driving 97 MPH. I don't really see what the big deal is. Old beaters can drive as fast as they want, just stay in the right lane when cruising and left lane when passing... how hard is that?
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
It would have to be a system that is seperate from the current interstate highway system. Limited access. Specific classes of vehicles and high tolls. IOW, if all taxpayers can not use it, it will never happen. If all taxpayers can use it, it would not be a safe place to drive.

I don't want soccer moms in minivans getting in the way of my Ford GT. That is, if we had an American Autoban and I actually owned a Ford GT.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
HELL NO!

People in Germany actually drive in the right lane and use the left for passing, which is what makes the autobahn work.  Here...not so much.

Exactly.
1.  They use their mirrors and, 2.  They use the right lane.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#17]
would not work here. and I am assuming the only reason that Montana has something similar is because its not a high populated area. You put something like this in So Cal or the NE it would not work. too many wrecks, people here wouldn't know how to operate a roadway such as the autobahn. Hell most of them now can't understand the rules of the road as it is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#19]
No fucking way.

Too many Nascar fans.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#20]
No.

Because far too many stupid assclown cocksmokers don't know what the left lane is for.

HINT:
It's not for cruising at the speed limit while people with somewhere to be are lining up behind your dumbass.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't forget the tires...they are made for higher speed.

SUVs....and high speed = no no no

road construction is different

very few portions of the Autobahn actualy is with no speed limit....most area have speed control (depending on trafic and road conditions)
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't given it a lot of thought on my own, but here's what folks usually say when this comes up:

1. We'd have to invest more in our roads, so that high speed travel was safer.
2. More driver training, and much stricter licensing requirements would be necessary.
3. Cars would be held to a much higher standard (inspected), and inspections would be mandatory.

Those are the three big ones. Some appeal to cultural differences as well, as they pertain to driving habits.

In my mind, it would mean more government. It seems kind of backwards at first, since we're talking about abolishing speed limits. But really, the only way it would ever happen is if government became more involved in your life. Whether it's increased taxes, being forced to take harder/longer instruction, and being forced to hold your car to a higher standard, it means the government is involved more in your life than they once were.

But hey, you can haul ass. It's a tradeoff, just like everything else. We're never going to simply abolish speed limits on the highways nationwide (with no additional requirements), so it's silly to even suggest it. It'd be pure mental masturbation.

Culturally, I actually believe if you put it to a straight vote, it wouldn't pass. I think people are afraid of what *might* happen, and it's a cultural thing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The autobahn is covered in sections with speed limits aswell.

I dont think people would enjoy being fined for their vehicles breaking down on the side of the road either.

In short; it wouldnt work here
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]
American drivers suck. They are too stuck on the 'entitlement' of driving instead of the 'privilege' and 'responsibility' of driving.
In Europe it cost's a lot to get a drivers license, with lots of training. And not just driver training, but math and physics, too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
No

+1

The Germans are taxed over 50%.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#26]

2. More driver training, and much stricter licensing requirements would be necessary.
3. Cars would be held to a much higher standard (inspected), and inspections would be mandatory.

That's what the host on Modern Marvels: Autobahn said.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Would I love to have something like that here in the US?  Definitely.  Would it work?  No way..  For proof, I give you the idiots on ice thread

I don't want to see these morons who can't figure out how to control a vehicle out of a slide/skid going triple digit speeds close to me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#28]
German autobahns also have a lot fewer on and off ramps than a typical U.S. Interstate.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's what the host on Modern Marvels: Autobahn said.

Sweet. I don't even have cable.

I should host my own show.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#30]
FWIW, I have plenty of experience on the autobahn, to include lane-splitting on a bike during more than a few staus

I drove from my house to Paris, a distance of 500km (~300miles) in 3 hours.  I made it to Normandy in another 2h.  No, France doesn't have unlimited speed  sections of their autoroute .  However, they didn't park their super-sized, minivan driving, latte-sipping, texting on the cell phone, and oh yeah, driving, asses in the left lane.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
HELL NO!

+1

When I was in Germany, I found that Germans are all about da' rules. And on the Autobahn it worked great. Plus having banked corners, smoooooth pavement, ample acceleration lanes, good road signs, etc.

Here in NJ, NFW. Poorly designed roads, usually (but getting better) small signs obstructed by vegetation, minimal acceleration / departure lanes for higher speeds, Darwin Candidate galore, etc.

But a man can dream can't he?
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#32]
We already have one. It's called I40.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't know about your states, but we do have a fairly strong vehicle inspection program.  It must be done annually at shop that is licensed to do state inspections.  The meat of it taken from the Virginia State Police site:

3. - INSPECT BRAKES FOR:

Worn, damaged or missing parts.
Worn, contaminated or defective linings or drums.
Leaks in system, proper fluid level.
Worn, contaminated or defective disc pads or discs.
(NOTE: A minimum of two wheels and drums must be removed from each vehicle at the time of inspection. Consult the official inspection manual for exceptions.)
4. - INSPECT PARKING BRAKE FOR:

Broken or missing parts.
Proper adjustment.
Standard factory equipment or equivalent.
5. - INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR:

Approved type, aim, and output.
Condition of lamp, wiring and switch.
Beam indicator.
6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
Aim of fog and driving lamps.
Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
(NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)
7. – INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR:

Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
Correct indications and tell-tale (visual or audible).
Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
8. – INSPECT STEERING & SUSPENSION FOR: (Jack up front end as shown in Manual)

Wear in bushings, kingpins, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends.
Looseness of gear box on frame, condition of drag link and steering arm.
Play in steering wheel.
Wheel alignment and axle alignment.
Broken spring leaves, and worn shackles.
Shock absorbers.
Broken frame.
Broken or missing engine mounts.
Lift blocks.
9. – INSPECT TIRES, WHEELS & RIMS FOR:

Condition of tires including tread depth.
Mixing radials and bias ply tires.
Wheels that are cracked or damaged so as to affect safe operation.
10. – INSPECT MIRROR FOR:

Rigidity of mounting.
Condition of reflecting surface.
View of road to rear (Truck mirrors must extend at least halfway beyond edge of body) – (Visibility 200 feet to rear).
11. – INSPECT HORN FOR:

Electrical connections, mounting and horn button.
Emits sound audible for a minimum of 200 feet.
12. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR:

Approved type safety glass.
Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision.
Cracked, scratched or broken glass.
Stickers. ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED.
Sunshading material attached to the windshield to ensure it does not extend more than 3 inches downward from the top of windshield, unless authorized by Medical Waiver Certificate.
Operation of left front door glass.
13. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD WIPER/DEFROSTER FOR:

Operating condition.
Condition of blade.
14. – INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR:

Exhaust line-manifold, gaskets, pipes, mufflers, connections, etc.
Leakage of gases at any point from motor to point discharged from system.
15. – INSPECT LICENSE TAGS FOR:

Illumination of rear plate.
16. – INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR:

Operating condition of hood latch.
Presence of emissions system -Evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected.
Fluid levels that are below the proper level
 1.  Brake fluid.
 2.  Power steering fluid.
Power steering belt - proper tension, wear, or absence.
17. – INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM (1973 and Subsequent Models) FOR:

Installation.
Operation.
(NOTE: This includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.)
18. – INSPECT DRIVER’S SEAT FOR:

Anchorage.
Location.
Condition.
19. – INSPECT SEAT BELTS FOR:

Approved type.
Installation.
20. – INSPECT AIR BAG AND AIRBAG READINESS LIGHT FOR:

Any defects in the air bag system noted by the air bag readiness light, or otherwise indicated; or
The air bag has been deployed and has not been replaced (and is not deactivated because of a medical or other exemption and a notice is posted to indicate that it has been deactivated); or
Any part of the air bag system has been removed from the vehicle; or
If the air bag indicator fails to light, or stays on continuously.            

21. – INSPECT DOORS AT THE RIGHT & LEFT SIDE OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT FOR:

Handle or opening device which will permit the opening of the door from the outside and inside of the vehicle.
Latching system which will hold door in its proper closed position.
22. – INSPECT FUEL SYSTEM FOR:

Any part that is not securely fastened.
Liquid fuel leakage.
Fuel tank filler cap for presence.
23. – INSPECT FLOOR PAN FOR:

(a)  Holes which allow exhaust gases to enter occupant compartment.
           (b)  Conditions which create a hazard to the occupants.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I haven't given it a lot of thought on my own, but here's what folks usually say when this comes up:

Those are the three big ones. Some appeal to cultural differences as well, as they pertain to driving habits.

In my mind, it would mean more government. It seems kind of backwards at first, since we're talking about abolishing speed limits. But really, the only way it would ever happen is if government became more involved in your life. Whether it's increased taxes, being forced to take harder/longer instruction, and being forced to hold your car to a higher standard, it means the government is involved more in your life than they once were.

But hey, you can haul ass. It's a tradeoff, just like everything else. We're never going to simply abolish speed limits on the highways nationwide (with no additional requirements), so it's silly to even suggest it. It'd be pure mental masturbation.

Culturally, I actually believe if you put it to a straight vote, it wouldn't pass. I think people are afraid of what *might* happen, and it's a cultural thing.

We need that now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
American drivers suck. They are too stuck on the 'entitlement' of driving instead of the 'privilege' and 'responsibility' of driving.

Absolutely spot on. It's as if people turn their brains off when they put their vehicles in gear.

The sheer stupidity of American drivers is astounding.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No

+1

The Germans are taxed over 50%.

And we aren't?
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Waaayyyy wayyy too many retards on cell phones who can't tell their passing lane from their exit lane.  Also, blue-haired grannies going 15-under the limit, who refuse to use blinkers would cause wrecks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#38]
If it was a toll road? Sure. As in, a 'bahn that stretches from say NYC to Los Angeles. Just outside of NYC is a tollbooth. Charge? $150 to the Mississippi. The car also gets inspected there for a basic level of fitness (brakes, windshield wipers and fluid, tires are inflated correctly and have tread, etc) At the Mississippi, there's another $250 charge that covers you to LA, and another inspection. That's it. On the ticket you get a big disclaimer, "You and you alone are responsible, yadda yadda yadda, absolve all states, counties, localities, and all other people of responsibility, yadda yadda yadda..."

Every mile or two is a 'bahn officer, who looks specifically for dumbasses in the left lanes cruising and not passing, and other violations (cars burning oil badly, or forbidden vehicles, etc)

The road should be at least 3 lanes wide, with another 2 lanes width of break down lanes on each side...yes, wide road, but it should be fine...

That should work, I think. Oh, and trucks or anything being towed? Forbidden. Make nother 'bahn just for them. I think most truckers would love to have something like that.

So, other than gas, it would cost you a premium of $400 to drive the road from coast to coast. That should offset some of the costs (especially if it's used a bunch). Considering the amount of time it would/should save you, that premium would seem worth it, to me, versus say flying, or taking a train. It'd be cheaper to drive than it would be to fly and then rent a car.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#39]
The German anti-speed limit lobbying groups were compared to the NRA in America.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#40]
No.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I don't know about your states, but we do have a fairly strong vehicle inspection program.  It must be done annually at shop that is licensed to do state inspections.  The meat of it taken from the Virginia State Police site:

3. - INSPECT BRAKES FOR:

<SNIP>

Those inspections are nothing compared to the German TUV inspection.  Check out this article, they will fail a car that has a rust spot or a dented panel.

They also have a license that is 1500-2000 and is good for life.

When driving on the German Autobahn, one realizes that auto racing is not confined to famous race tracks like the Nürburgring. Germans, and the Austrians and Swiss, like to drive fast, and they have been in love with their cars ever since Carl Benz (1844-1927) invented the first practical motor car in 1885. The company formed by the 1926 merger of the two firms that Benz and fellow automobile inventor Gottlieb Daimler (1834-1900) had created would become the industrial giant Daimler-Benz AG, Germany’s largest concern. (As of Nov. 1998, DaimlerChrysler AG.) But it is Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany, which is now Europe’s largest auto maker. Germany is the third largest producer of automobiles in the world (exceeded only by Japan and the United States) and a country that takes its driving very seriously. This is understandable when you realize that a German driver’s license costs about $1500-2000, after a minimum of 25-45 hours of professional instruction plus 12 hours of theory, and such a license is good for life.

This photo, taken in the eastern part of Berlin, shows a 50 km/h (31 mph) speed limit sign (in the background) and a “green arrow” traffic signal. The painted green arrow (grüner Pfeil) means you are permitted to make a right turn after stopping on red—a practice that was not allowed in western Germany until it was adopted from the East after unification. The triangular “yield” sign goes into effect when the traffic signal (Ampel) is turned off—a common occurrence late at night or on weekends.
PHOTO © Hyde Flippo

Cars marked “Fahrschule” (driving school) mean a student driver may be at the wheel. However, you don't have too much to worry about; in typical thorough German fashion, Fahrschule cars are equipped with dual controls so that the instructor can take over any time the student gets into serious trouble. The practical, on-the-road training time has to include night driving, autobahn experience, in-town driving, and a multitude of other driving situations. The test for a German driver's license includes questions about the mechanical aspects of an automobile, in addition to the usual examination on the rules of the road. But once he or she has passed the test, a German driver never ever has to be tested again to keep his or her license, not even for vision!

Driving Web Links | Renting a Car (below)

German and European traffic law has a few variations that North American drivers may not always be aware of. For instance, it is illegal to pass on the right on the Autobahn. Slow moving vehicles must always move to the right, and faster vehicles may pass on the left only. The only exception is when both lanes are moving slowly (under 60 km per hour, 35 mph), as in the frequent traffic jams (Verkehrsstaus). In such cases drivers are allowed to pass on the right, but at a speed no higher than 20 km per hour faster than the traffic in the left lane. [For more on traffic laws in A, CH, and D see our driving links below.]

You will see speed limit signs (round) posted much less often in Germany than in the U.S. But German drivers are expected to know the law. In cities and towns, the speed limit (Tempolimit) is 50 km/h (31 mph) unless otherwise posted. In the last decade or so, the "30-Zone" has gained great popularity. These are residential areas with a posted 30 km/h (18 mph) speed limit to protect children and pedestrians who live in the neighborhood. On normal two-lane highways the limit is 100 km/h (62 mph). Cars towing trailers must stay under 80 km/h (50 mph). The autobahn has a "suggested" speed limit of 130 km/h (80 mph), a suggestion widely ignored by many Mercedes and Porsche drivers. They may suddenly appear out of nowhere, close behind, blinking their brights to move you out of their way. Not even $4.00-per-gallon gasoline can make most German drivers slow down.

In Austria, Germany, and Switzerland, children under the age of 13 are not allowed to sit in the front seat of any vehicle that has a back seat. Seat belts are mandatory for the driver and all passengers in the car, front and back.

The German car maker Volkswagen now sells
an updated version of the classic Beetle. For more
about this car see the Volkswagen Web site.
PHOTO: Volkswagen.de

Most of Europe, including Germany, has a .08 (0,8 pro mille) blood alcohol limit for drunk driving. (.05 if you are involved in an accident.) In former East Germany the legal limit for driving under the influence was zero until 1992. German law deals harshly with driving under the influence. Violators may lose their license on the first offense and must pay high fines...

It is rare to see a dented, smoking junk car in Germany. This is not just due to typical German neatness or pride of ownership. It also has to do with a German institution that is as feared and respected as is perhaps the Internal Revenue Service in the U.S. The Technische Überwachungsverein or TÜV is an agency that must approve the roadworthiness of German cars and trucks. Without a TÜV (pronounced TOOF) sticker, a vehicle can't be licensed or driven. Cars have been known to fail TÜV inspection for having a single rust spot or dent in a critical location. A broken light or a malfunctioning exhaust system would be obvious reasons for rejection. A popular bumper sticker seen on older German vehicles likely to run afoul of TÜV reads, "Bis daß der TÜV uns scheidet." (“Till TÜV us do part.”)...

Book excerpt ©1997 McGraw-Hill/Passport Books

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renting and driving a car in Europe
In order to rent a car in Europe, non-Europeans need a valid driver’s license from their home state or province. Although the legal driving age is 18, drivers usually must be over 21 (sometimes even older) to rent a car. Austria, Germany, and Switzerland also require an International Driving Permit, which is actually just a translation of the original license (and available from AAA), but car rental agents rarely ask to see it. If, however, you should have a traffic accident or an encounter with the law, it would be desirable to have one.

Expats living in German-speaking Europe have one year before their home country license is no longer valid. If you're lucky, you have a driver's license from a state or province with a reciprocity agreement. If not, be prepared to spend time and money to attend a driving school (Fahrschule), take tests, and obtain a license. — The odds are not in your favor. Only 17 of the 50 US states have a license waiver agreement with Germany, and some populous states (California, Texas, New York, Florida) are not among them.

Drivers must carry a warning triangle (Warndreieck) and a first-aid kit in the vehicle (found in the trunk of all rental cars) for use in an emergency. Since your home auto insurance is probably not valid in Europe, be sure you have coverage from the rental agency and/or a credit card. Most rental cars require unleaded (bleifrei, pron. BLY-FRY) gasoline or diesel fuel, which is much more common in Europe than it is in the US.

Tip: Diesel Cars
Diesel cars, also as rentals, are more common in Europe than in North America. When filling your car’s tank with diesel fuel, make sure you do not mistakenly pull up to a truck diesel pump. The size of the nozzles for the auto pumps versus the truck pumps is different. A truck fuel nozzle is bigger and has a higher flow rate. It won’t fit in the narrower automobile diesel fuel pipe.

Copyright © 1997-2005 Hyde Flippo. All rights reserved.

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
*snip*

If you saw DMV inspections in NJ, you would probably scream.

I lol'ed at the floorpan thing, half the vehicles in my area would have 'rejected' stickers if we used that rule
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I have driven on the Autobahn(s) on three different trips to Germany.  Including earlier this year from Weisbaden to the Swiss border.

-No junker cars on the autobahn

-disciplined drivers (for the most part, but there are plenty of Jackasses on the autobahn too)

-No trucks in the fast lane.

-It is very fast in places, but Germany has a high population density and there are plenty of slowdowns.

-bottom line is a culture change is necessary for it to work well.  One we probably dont want.

-I also drove on the Italian Autostrade and the drivers are worse than American drivers in general and more agressive.  Speed limits are posted on the autostrade, but are ignored for the most part.  We did alot of driving at 85+mph in Italy and it was probably equivalent of Americans driving 85 on our typical US interstate (if not a little more dangerous).
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#44]

In the U.S., it might start out as an Autobahn, but would quickly turn into Mad Max.

"I'm the Toecutter!"
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

1. Included with this autobahn would be the requirement that cell phone jammers would prevent the transmission or reception of cell phone calls while on the autobahn. At high speeds, both hands deserve to be on the wheel. There will be call boxes every 1/2 mile when assistance is needed.

2. We would have to have autobahn licenses. This license would have a 2 day workshop conducted at a local road race track and include high speed car control. One would have to mee4t a certain time per lap in order to qualify for the license, and the blessings of an instructor.

3. In order to be on an autobahn, a car would have to go through a SEMI-annual inspection program that measured (not looked at) the brake lining thicknesses, and the condition of the brake fluids, and a check of all engine related operating parameters. No SUVs, Pick up Trucks, of heavy trucks will be allowed on the autobahn at any speed. Automotive tires will have to be radials and Z (or Y) speed rated and have more than 7mm if tread depth. A vehicle must be capable of over 130 MPH in order to be eligible for an autobahn license PLATE.

4. There will be continuous camera surveilance on the autobahn. Anyone blocking, obstructing, or driving with less than deserved dillegance, gets his/her aubobahn license revoked and has to go through the training program again. There is no concept of excess speed on the autobahn, however, there is the concept of insufficient speed; slower traffic is MANDATED to stay right. Any driver causing his vehicle to be passed on the rights will have his car impounded for a period no less than 60 days and pay a fine of no less than $500. On the autobahn, if someone flashes their lights and wants to pass, you are REQUIRED to move over and allow him to pass; failure to do so results in your vehicle being impounded as above and you fined as above.

If you cause a wreck on the autobahn, you (or your estate) pay for all damages, hospital coverage, and repairs to all infrastructure. Autobahn drivers are required to have $1M coverage insurance policies anytime their vehicle is driving on the autobahn.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#46]
NO!
People in the U.S. do not take driving seriously. They want engineers to make cars safe, they want the car to drive itself, they want to talk on the phone, play playstation,etc..., Everything but drive.

so again NO!
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't think so,  with the novel notion of saving one lane for safe passing of other vehicles you'll always have that one idiot who thinks it's his own private lane to do with as he pleases.  Average US citizen is too selfish and self concerned to GET THEIR FUCKING ASSES OUT OF THE LANE and not hog it up all to themselves.

I'm never in the #1 lane save two things, I'm actively passing a group of slower traffic or the road conditions have the left lane as being the smoothest lane at which point I move over for faster approaching traffic.

Drives me nuts to no end when traffic is moving speed limit or +5mph and everybody comes to the one idiot doing less than the speed limit in the fast lane forcing everyone to pass on the right.    I really hate passing on the right but it never fails, eventually you come across 1 idiot in the fast lane forcing everyone to pass around the right side, worse then you get some fucktard in the #2 lane who's rolling nearly the same speed as him further blocking traffic and now the really impatient are passing in the truck lane.

LA drivers on the I5 freeway are reknown for approaching you at 15+mph speed difference and(even though the #1 lane is open and you are in the #2 lane) they'll pass you on the right maybe even hopping to the trucking lane.

Too many assholes with the Cole Trickle mentality think that so long as they squeeze through the tightest of holes in traffic and do it quickly, they are free and clear to drive how they wish.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Its been said before, but as long as people remain willfully ignorant of signs like this:

Then there exists no way that ANYONE can drive on a road that fast in america with any degree of relative safety.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#49]
 I believe an autobahn style could be implemented, but we would have to do the same thing the Germans have done. They have areas where there is a speed limit, like in traffic areas and in more populated areas. Once you get out of those areas the limit is lifted, which would be a much better system I think. I would actually really like to see it done here.

I highly doubt such a thing will happen though, way too many soccer moms would shriek bloody murder about it. Not to mention, less revenue from tickets, etc.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#50]
We have an unofficial autobahn on all major freeways leading into rush hour. It's too congested for anyone to get really stupid, but it's 80-90 mph until the level of traffic gets to be such that it is forced to slow down. Police don't bother clocking during rush hour, they jut run around and peel people off medians and whatever else they crashed into. Then rush hour clears around 9-9:30, they hit the coffee shops to chill for an hour or two, then they'll set up a couple speed traps (clocker on an overpass, 5-8 chase vehicles lined up on an on-ramp, and work that til lunch. Then they come back in a different spot, run it again from about 1-2:30. Then they head out to take up positions for the afternoon rush. Beginning around 3:00, it's informal autobahn again until people start wrecking, and then the cops peel people off medians until about 6-6:30, then go eat dinner until 8 pm, then start normal patrols and DUI enforcement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top