Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 1:46:46 AM EDT
Is there any difference from Costco gas vs Chevron , Shell ? The price of Costco gas is .40 cheaper than Chevron and Shell.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:09:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:13:15 AM EDT
I filled a jerrican with Costco gas.  I opened the can in Arizona and the gas literally spewed out from the jerrican all over me.   It was as it was boiling hot.  Lost a gallon that way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:13:28 AM EDT
If there is a difference it will be in the additive package. It runs just fine .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:57:07 AM EDT
Not as much detergent as the Chevron, Shell, 76, etc
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:23:45 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I filled a jerrican with Costco gas.  I opened the can in Arizona and the gas literally spewed out from the jerrican all over me.   It was as it was boiling hot.  Lost a gallon that way.
View Quote

Just imagine what that stuff would do to your engine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:29:00 AM EDT
Tier 1 vs Tier 2.
Google helps.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:34:57 AM EDT
The wife & I use Costco gas every day in our Fords.  It's fine!  Gas economy is exactly the same as using the name brand stuff.

Another bonus, not only is it cheaper than the local name brand gas, you also get 3% back for using your Costco AMEX.  It adds up to some significant savings.

That said, my former Infinity FX didn't like it.  I got a "Check Engine" light every time I tried to use it.  As soon as I would put the name brand stuff in it, the light would go out.  I think it probably had to do with the octane rating.  The FX was supposed to have "Premium", but I never would pop for the expensive stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:40:14 AM EDT
Truck runs fine, car pings like SOB & miles per tank fell off too
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:42:52 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a right way and a wrong way to open a jerrycan.

Usually, most people don't use the wrong way more than once.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:43:51 AM EDT
I have been using Costco gas for a long time. Great price to.

$3.49 where I'm at.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:46:46 AM EDT
Local Costco here gets refilled by a supplier with BP logos...go figure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:34:23 PM EDT
Quoted:
Is there any difference from Costco gas vs Chevron , Shell ? The price of Costco gas is .40 cheaper than Chevron and Shell.
View Quote

Around here gasoline at Costco WITH DISCOUNT is still the same price as RaceTrack, Wawa and Murphy (located next to WalMart). Murphy gives 5 to 15 cents rebate per gallon if you use a WalMart credit card.

MOST gas stations buy their gas on the spot market so they could be selling anybodies brand fuel!  

PS today's price is $3.46.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:06:50 PM EDT
All gas is the same. The additive package is the only difference at the pump..

The additive package is added at the distribution center where the tankers fill. It's about the size of a can off redbull for 9,000 gallons..

The oil companies don't even know who made the product they are selling in many cases. Pipelines are shared and if she'll puts 100,000 gallons of 91 octane in one end they can take 100,000 gallons out the other end.. The product from different compiles is mixed in the pipeline so nobody knows who made it.. At the local distribution centers away from refineries all oil companies fill there trucks from the same pipe.. They add a little can a majic and that's it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:10:27 PM EDT
Nope. Same stuff with  10% ethanol
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:18:08 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

That's Arizona's way of saying stay in Colorado.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:22:15 PM EDT
I think it is one of the few gas outlets around here that sell that ethanol crap.
Filled my Impala with it last spring  and my fuel economy went from 26mpg to 22mpg.
Economy came right back after filling up with normal fuel.
Love their meat, hate their gas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:23:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:24:57 PM EDT
No. I use it all the time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:26:14 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

Any gas will do that
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:45:42 PM EDT
Quoted:
All gas is the same. The additive package is the only difference at the pump..

The additive package is added at the distribution center where the tankers fill. It's about the size of a can off redbull for 9,000 gallons..

The oil companies don't even know who made the product they are selling in many cases. Pipelines are shared and if she'll puts 100,000 gallons of 91 octane in one end they can take 100,000 gallons out the other end.. The product from different compiles is mixed in the pipeline so nobody knows who made it.. At the local distribution centers away from refineries all oil companies fill there trucks from the same pipe.. They add a little can a majic and that's it.
View Quote

At least one poster hear know what he is talking about.

The top tier gas has the extra additives added to their product. All gas is the same up to that point (not counting the octane differences).

It burns cleaner than untreated gas. Is untreated or plain gas bad? Not at all. But you would be wise to use a fuel system cleaner every 5K miles or so to keep your injectors clear of build up. (Techron, Gumout Regane are two that actually work).  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:54:25 PM EDT
Quoted:
The wife & I use Costco gas every day in our Fords.  It's fine!  Gas economy is exactly the same as using the name brand stuff.

Another bonus, not only is it cheaper than the local name brand gas, you also get 3% back for using your Costco AMEX.  It adds up to some significant savings.

That said, my former Infinity FX didn't like it.  I got a "Check Engine" light every time I tried to use it.  As soon as I would put the name brand stuff in it, the light would go out.  I think it probably had to do with the octane rating.  The FX was supposed to have "Premium", but I never would pop for the expensive stuff.
View Quote

So your fault, not Costco's!

Key to it all is stick with a name brand. Costco/Sams use one brand and do not mix. The problem is using speedway, hortons, ect. They have the cheaper gas but they buy the left overs from all companies and it gets mixed. What that means is your getting a mix of additives and you have no idea what is what. Problem, some additives don't play we'll with others. That's when you have fuel problems, premature fare of filters, pumps, injectors clogging, ect.

Post about additives being only difference. Don't mix em.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:08:16 PM EDT
I fill up my Mercedes all the time with their 91 octane. It runs just fine. Their 89 octane works just fine in my Suzuki.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:11:15 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote
Just yesterday I was checking out at the local Costco and a rather large sign on the wall facing the check-stands proclaimed exactly the opposite; also claiming that due to the higher detergent it kept intake valves and injectors cleaner and reduced emissions from "dirty" engines.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:26:57 PM EDT
I'll stick to chevron.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:35:29 PM EDT
Nope.

It does matter WHERE your Costco is located, though.

They seem to run .20 cheaper than other stations in the immediate area, but given we drive into town to go to Costco, it's often just as cheap to buy from a station near our home.

Hoover isn't a cheap area......
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:40:46 PM EDT

Quoted:

Just yesterday I was checking out at the local Costco and a rather large sign on the wall facing the check-stands proclaimed exactly the opposite; also claiming that due to the higher detergent it kept intake valves and injectors cleaner and reduced emissions from "dirty" engines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who doesn't claim that?

I seem to get the best mileage with Shell gas (although I've never filled this car at Costco), and supposedly Shell's additive is specifically formulated for direct injection.  I run Shell almost exclusively, and pour in a bottle of Techron once or twice a year.  VW's (especially with DI and turbocharged) are too high-maintenance to take the risk of running cheap gas.

On an odd but related note, my TDI always got the best mileage on the "worst" fuel.  Good diesel that ran clean and quiet resulted in so-so mpg, but the stuff that smoked like a tire fire and sounded like a truck usually resulted in great mpg.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:55:04 PM EDT
Quoted:

Key to it all is stick with a name brand. Costco/Sams use one brand and do not mix. The problem is using speedway, hortons, ect. They have the cheaper gas but they buy the left overs from all companies and it gets mixed. What that means is your getting a mix of additives and you have no idea what is what. Problem, some additives don't play we'll with others. That's when you have fuel problems, premature fare of filters, pumps, injectors clogging, ect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Additive packages are added at the depot point, when the tanker truck is filled for delivery to the station. Not sure today but 8 years ago the truck drivers were the ones that dumped the can into the tanker.

Up to the point of being loaded in the tanker all the gas from different refineries is mixed in the pipeline. Unless the tanker trucks are filling at the refinery or from a dedicated companies pipeline, there is no way to know who did the refining.

And Costco and independent companies don't buy "left overs" they buy gasoline on the open market vs being contracted to an oil company. The physical gasoline the buy is exactly the same as the big oil stuff... Because usually it is.. They are just not under contract to buy from only one. When big oil prices are up independent market gas is cheaper and vice versa..

Same thing goes for motor oil... Oil companies don't always make there own base oil.. Sometimes they buy it from the other companies.. Go into a lube bottling room at let's say shell oil and you will see bottles for all sorts of brands of oil and grease.

Another common gripe is hot gasoline.. As gas expands as it heats up people assume your getting less for there money... Don't worry, specific gravity is calculated and accounted for.

What other myths shall we knock around?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:00:05 PM EDT
Quoted:
I gas up every week at Costco
View Quote

Me too. Never a problem
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:10:57 PM EDT
Personally I always use Chevron in my car. In the "beater" truck I put United Oil (which is a subsidiary of 76) because I can't bring myself to put Arco in it. I would use Costco gas in that vehicle if the lines weren't so damn long all the time, and the one near me had gas. As it is it's in the next town over and always packed. FWIW my friend's dad owned an Arco for a while, and even he didn't put gas from their own station in his car. Not like there was a big savings for him to do so, but certainly more convenient.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:16:46 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

its called EXPANSION and im sure Costco had everything to do with it
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:16:47 PM EDT
We burn a lot of Costco gas.  The day they started to sell gas the price dropped all over town by 20 cents per gal.  I love Costco just for this.  SOB gas companies raped us for years and when someone came in they couldn't control the price dropped.  I won't give the local regular gas stations any of my $.

Costco has a small box or pump station seperate from the pumps.  I asked them about it and was told that holds the additive and they add it to the gas when they get a shipment in.

When on the road we buy Chevron.  Don't notice it being any better than Costco.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:27:56 PM EDT
Costco gas has run fine in all the vehicles i have put it in, from honda civic's to old f150's and two different ford raptors.  

If they only sold diesel...
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:37:47 PM EDT
1. costco like any other unbranded station, buys off of Rack pricing. Which ever terminal or refinery is cheapest that day is where it it would typically come from depending on the lines at that terminal.

2. If the truck is branded it doesn't mean they're getting branded fuel. Most of the time the truck is just a common carrier.

3. All gas must meet api spec's to be sold. With that, I generally recommend midgrade over regular, mostly because I've seen some pretty crappy regular gas samples in my day.  As well, I've seen some ethonal free gas in midgrade samples.

Current lowest rack prices for north eastern ohio / western pa / northern wv.

Regular gasohol - 2.795 plus taxes and freight.
15ppm diesel 2% bio - 3.175 plus taxes and freight.

Also to mr.jerrycan guy. When we sell fuel right from a refinery we have to charge differently then from a terminal. At a terminal its pipelined in and stored, so at ambient temperature.  Right from the refinery it will be 125-140 degrees and cool off, thus shrinking. 8500 gallons on a truck suddenly turns into 8200 gallons once delivered in a tank. So we have to do a temperature factor calculation when selling refinery fresh fuel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:39:27 PM EDT

Quoted:

View Quote
This is why we cant have nice things. If it says it requires premium there is a mechanical reason it needs it. You can cause serious damage, although the engine management is smart enough to put the engine in limp mode and make your mileage and power ass to save you from your own cheapness.

I have heard their gas is low quality so I steer clear. Plus here its only a few cents less than regular and Fuck if I'm going to stand in line for 20 minutes breathing gas fumes to save $0.24

Friend of my dad did a study of gas quality's for his daughters school project and came to the conclusion that chevron is the best. I have heard that elsewhere and when I went from BP to Chevron I got 1-2 better MPG so I pretty much just run that now. Current car is a chipped turbo car so I need the good stuff. Sometimes I mix in some 110 leaded and crank the program up and have at it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:56:38 PM EDT
Quoted:

Additive packages are added at the depot point, when the tanker truck is filled for delivery to the station. Not sure today but 8 years ago the truck drivers were the ones that dumped the can into the tanker.

Up to the point of being loaded in the tanker all the gas from different refineries is mixed in the pipeline. Unless the tanker trucks are filling at the refinery or from a dedicated companies pipeline, there is no way to know who did the refining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In line blending is the big thing for major brands. But for rack fuel its all 6 or 7 gallon plastic jugs still.

And Costco and independent companies don't buy "left overs" they buy gasoline on the open market vs being contracted to an oil company. The physical gasoline the buy is exactly the same as the big oil stuff... Because usually it is.. They are just not under contract to buy from only one. When big oil prices are up independent market gas is cheaper and vice versa..

Actually there are a lot of independent refineries who cater to unbranded fuel markets.

Husky
Ergon
American refining group.
Etc.

Same thing goes for motor oil... Oil companies don't always make there own base oil.. Sometimes they buy it from the other companies.. Go into a lube bottling room at let's say shell oil and you will see bottles for all sorts of brands of oil and grease.

Only about 5 major grease mfg in the united states. Only 1 major oil company makes their own grease. Citgo. But they don't use their own base oil anymore since they sold that division off.

ConocoPhillips is the largest producer of base oils in the US right now. Most oils are blended per market at a compound blender. In example gordon terminal in Pittsburgh blends conoco, Shell, kendall, gulf and citgo.

On the flip side, chevron in Kentucky comes right from chevrons own blending facility.  Same with conoco/kendall in st.louis.

shell is a complete joke. Their products all suck now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:58:47 PM EDT
As a fuel hauler, I will say that almost all gas is the same when we load the trucks at a pipeline or refinery. Some suppliers do have options for adding additive at the rack, but the driver would not have to manually do anything, it's all in the "recipe". If I were to select a supplier that provides a special blend of fuel, then I would pick a selection on the screen or enter a specific supplier/customer code to get that special blend. We only load oxy regular and oxy premium, which is 85+10 and 91+10, so its a simple process. The midgrage at the store is all done at the pumps and is a 60/40 blend of 85+91. I'm sure some gas stations have a system for adding additives at the pump, but almost all gas is the same when it leaves the rack.

The drivers of the fuel tankers are the ones who load them, there is nobody there loading it for us.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:59:54 PM EDT

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.  Now that hurts.  Where will I run to now?  Guess I'll have to stay here and fight.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:07:39 PM EDT
Quoted:
This is why we cant have nice things. If it says it requires premium there is a mechanical reason it needs it. You can cause serious damage, although the engine management is smart enough to put the engine in limp mode and make your mileage and power ass to save you from your own cheapness.

I have heard their gas is low quality so I steer clear. Plus here its only a few cents less than regular and Fuck if I'm going to stand in line for 20 minutes breathing gas fumes to save $0.24

Friend of my dad did a study of gas quality's for his daughters school project and came to the conclusion that chevron is the best. I have heard that elsewhere and when I went from BP to Chevron I got 1-2 better MPG so I pretty much just run that now. Current car is a chipped turbo car so I need the good stuff. Sometimes I mix in some 110 leaded and crank the program up and have at it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does this car you put leaded fuel into have a catalytic converter(s)? If so, you're risking serious and costly damage to that system, just as much as a cheapskate who puts regular fuel into a car that calls for premium.
Top Top