Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
While degunking a Mauser from that stuff, I had a thought.
Those weapons certaintly weren't preserved to  to be sold later, but in case of war to supply your army, or at least if no other weapons were available (oh noes Peak Guns!) housandsBut they're all cosmolined, so that the bolt doesn't even move! hock.gif

what would they use to strip the cosmo?

-large tub'o'mineral spirits?
-giant Dishwasher?
-oven?

Anybody got an idea
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Well supposing I had to choose, yeah.. I'd go with a pizza oven.

I'm really curious what the proceedure would actually be / have been, for rolling out a massive amount of stored weapons. I'm guessing a bunch of troops would be ordered to clean em up ASAP, probably with mineral spirits. You put 50 guys on the job and it would probably go pretty fast?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Diesel works very well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#3]
How about a large ultrasonic cleaner full of mineral spirits?  Field strip and throw the metal parts in.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#4]
issue the guns as is, with a bottle of mineral spirits.  Each serviceman cleans his own is by bet.  A good primer in gun cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]
My Dad got his M1 Garand from the US Army when then was in the ROK army.

They were WWII/Korean war surplus guns full of cosmo like you describe.

His whole unit started to fill 55 gallon drums with water. They boiled the water and dunked the guns in the water.

Once most of the cosmo was removed and dissolved, it was up to the individual soldier to clean his weapon until he was clean.

Those that still didnt work or need more severe cleaning were sent to the unit armor.

But he said it was the easiest way to do it on a large scale.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
How about a large ultrasonic cleaner full of mineral spirits?  Field strip and throw the metal parts in.  

yeah I bet that would work great, but somehow I doubt armories are equipped with an ultrasonic cleaner
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#7]
They could take them to Burger King and run them down the Flame Broil conveyor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top