Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 9:07:21 AM EDT
How rare are these going to be? I saw one on the highway yesterday. Will this be  Barrett-Jackson's (Hemi-Cuda) darlings of thirty years from now?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How rare are these going to be? I saw one on the highway yesterday. Will this be  Barrett-Jackson's (Hemi-Cuda) darlings of thirty years from now?

M4-AK

Cheapest supercar out there.  Comparable performance to almost everything reasonable out there.  We are not talking 1.5 millon dollar cars. But compared to Porcshes, Ferraris and others its a pretty good value.

You just dont have the panache that these other brands do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#2]
i have seen half a dozen around miami.  i dont think they're going to be exceedingly rare, but definately not as common as every other corvette.  i don't think they're making a limited #, but they are pricier than the majority of people can easily afford
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The new 'Vette is sex on wheels IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's not fast enough, you can always go the forced induction route.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i have seen half a dozen around miami.  i dont think they're going to be exceedingly rare, but definately not as common as every other corvette.  i don't think they're making a limited #, but they are pricier than the majority of people can easily afford

... and if they do turn out to be rare in quantity, do you drive it, or do you store it? What would you give for an L88 Vette or other rare quantity vette?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend has one and it is awesome
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I am not a GM fan for most of their cars, but you have to give Chevy props for making the Corvette... best real high performance/affordable bang for the buck car and made in USA.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

M4-AK

The Barrett-Jackson darlings are usually darlings because they are

1. Rare
2. Exceptionally well maintained

And most imporantly,

3. Popular at the time of sale
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Not common yet, since they introduce the car mid year for 2006.

Dealers are marking the 2006 up from $5,000 to $10,000.  That is one of GM's fault haing a low end car division marketing one of their highest performance car.  Lots of 06 sitting in dealer waiting for a sucker.  I searched around and finally have a dealer willing to order me a 2007 Z06 at MSRP (no GMS price).

Two Caddy dealer was trying to talk me out of my 2007 Z06 and get a XLR-V at GMS cost, but I like the Vette styling more, and I don't like convertable.

The Z06 name will be surpassed by the Corvette SS (used to be Blue Devil) which is going to be either Super-Charged or Twin Turbo V8 rumored 500+ HP priced at $100,000.  The Corvette SS on paper out performs the Ford GT and half its price.

Also rumored is Corvette might become its own line, because lots of Corvette owner and buyers complained about the Chevy dealership.  That is why Chevy gets the Camaro back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Dealers are marking the 2006 up from $5,000 to $10,000.  That is one of GM's fault haing a low end car division marketing one of their highest performance car.  Lots of 06 sitting in dealer waiting for a sucker.  I searched around and finally have a dealer willing to order me a 2007 Z06 at MSRP (no GMS price).

Two Caddy dealer was trying to talk me out of my 2007 Z06 and get a XLR-V at GMS cost, but I like the Vette styling more, and I don't like convertable.

The Z06 name will be surpassed by the Corvette SS (used to be Blue Devil) which is going to be either Super-Charged or Twin Turbo V8 rumored 500+ HP priced at $100,000.  The Corvette SS on paper out performs the Ford GT and half its price.

Also rumored is Corvette might become its own line, because lots of Corvette owner and buyers complained about the Chevy dealership.  That is why Chevy gets the Camaro back.

The new Z06 is already rated at 505hp N/A
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Red: The SS is beautiful. I saw one roaring around town a few months ago... Gorgeous.

Blue: No kidding! Interesting rumor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]
like they say, " the Vette makes 'em Wette!"
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Correction, Corvette Ss is rumored to be 600+HP.  Sorry, and thanks for piinting it out.

Blue: No kidding! Interesting rumor.

That rumor havebeen floating around in the Corvette Forum for the last two years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Can someone post a picture of the Z-06 for this thread?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Try this thread for pictures:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1205511&forum_id=100
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#16]
You really can't beat the new z06 on price; you have to spend double to triple what the corvette costs to get comparable performance from another brand.  I have a fast car now, I can't imagine what that lightweight beasie can do!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

M4-AK

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

www.chevrolet.com/i/06/pic/corvette/photogallery/ext_gallery08.jpg

That thing is gorgeous.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

www.chevrolet.com/i/06/pic/corvette/photogallery/ext_gallery08.jpg

Bah...  THAT's NO Z06.

THIS is a Z06.  (Notice hood, fenders, etc...)

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
M4-AK

No.  GM has zero interest in producing "rare" cars, especially now.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4-AK

Actually, if the company keeps on it's current trend, all thier models will be "rare" someday.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

One locally dyno'd at 488whp, bone stock. They weigh one pound more than a Carrera GT.

They are the poor mans super car so to speak. (poor man, meaning richer than I of course) So far the only other street car to beat it on the Nurburgring Nordschleife is the Radical SR8, a registered street legal kit car, hardly something I'd drive every day to and from work.

Video:
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2990770163894389660&q=radical+sr8

Story:
www.radicalextremesportscars.com/news_folder/nord0905/index.php
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4-AK

If nobody can afford em, then they become rare. Hemi's were commonly available back then, but most couldn't pony up for the ponies.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One locally dyno'd at 488whp, bone stock. They weigh one pound more than a Carrera GT.

Either GM is understating the HP or its only losing 17 hp from the crank to the wheels
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#27]
i have been lurking on www.corvetteforum.com in the z06 forum for about a year. i may buy one of these eventually...

they are sub 12 second 1/4 cars. a lot for the money. but is very hard to find one at msrp. (perhaps impossible right now). some dealers are asking 30k or more over msrp for them.

issues you hear about:
clutch has been upgraded since the car was introduced. valve train issues perhaps due to a pretty high lift perhaps due to an offset lifter (saw a picture of this but its hard to describe), block has no room for repair, very thin cylinder walls, any problem with block requires a completely new engine, some chevy dealers service departments are completely lost when they have to service them. and lots of owners have little or no regard for chevy service departments period. the car is very similar in appearance to the standard in pics but supposedly when you see one in person they are impressive. no car has so much performance for so little (comparitive) price. 505 hp at crank many say is underrated.

if i get one it will be when you can get them for msrp and only after at least 1 full year of being in service. after owning japanese and german cars and having basically zero problems with my cars, i am a little hesitant to buy a chevy... last us car i owned was a jeep years ago..
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#28]
We build the fenders for the new Z06 where I work. I did a little work for some bonding fixtures and such, which is kinda cool.  It's neat to have a small part in the building of a car you like...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Gorgeous Car, Amazing Performance, Great Price. GM finally made a car worth having.
James
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#30]
427 cubic inches in a brand new engine design sums it all up.

Everything else is just extra.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Is the SS concept really being thought of as a Vette?

It's got 4 doors for pete's sake!

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Chevy SS was meant as a replacement of the Camaro.

Corvette SS was the Blue Devil.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#33]
The Z06 is a monster.  video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1884830295461616978&q=z06

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-20792827678359123&q=z06

I've seen stock 1/4 times in 11.3x@127mph range, absolutely phenomenal considering the runflat tires the car ships with...

For the money, you will not find anything that will even come close to it in performance.  No question.

I will own one and I will modify it before I ever take delivery.
Short throw shifter
LG Long tube headers
Intake
Tune

I'll be putting over 500hp to the ground and I'll use it to burn up those awful goodyears.

If you have the means, I highly suggest picking one up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#34]
That's an old concept for a impala replacement from 4 or so years ago. the SS Corvette would be just another model, like the Z06 is to the base coupe.  If it were me, I'd call it the Stingray and give it six tailights.

IMHO, the next possible collector car out there right now would be the last of the 06 GTO's with a six speed of course.  The true beauty of collectables is nobody collected them, they ended up crashed or trashed and very few actually survived, or they weren't that popular at the time to to cost or other issues.  

One can go pick up a new GTO off the lot for less than MSRP, and it's actually the fastest GTO ever built.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm... vette goodness.. I wants one!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
i went and toured the 'vette plant about two weeks ago.  Just imagine, a 30 acre lot with nothing but brand new ZO6 and new vettes every where you can see
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Give 'em a year to work out the bugs.  Next year will be a better built car and maybe more HP just to keep the hype up.  Remember the first Z06 in 01 came out with 385HP and the 02 with 405.  Don't be surprised if the next Z06 has 525HP.

As far as performance goes many 02-04 Z06s are running in the high 11s with nothing more than an after market air lid and slicks.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the LS7 monsters run in the high 10s before too long.

I paid MSRP for the first 02 Z06 in Atlanta.  A year later they were selling below invoice.  GM will make all the market can take and then a few more.  The price will come way down.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The new 'Vette is sex on wheels IMHO.

I completely absolutely 100% agree!!!  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
the car is very similar in appearance to the standard in pics but supposedly when you see one in person they are impressive.

Saw one on my way out of town going on vacation a week or so ago.   I was able to immediately identify it as something "different" and only as I passed it could I make out the Z06 badging.

The fenders and central hood scoop caught my attention from across the intersection immediately.

I don't neccesarily like the new vette, the front end is what I don't like.   Looks like a cross between a Viper and an older gen RX7 to me.   Not unique enough to me to get me all antsy over it's looks.

But there was just enough difference in the Z06 that I could pick it out from across a 6 lane intersection while staring at it in the oncoming lane.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I paid MSRP for the first 02 Z06 in Atlanta.  A year later they were selling below invoice.  GM will make all the market can take and then a few more.  The price will come way down.  

issue with the new z06 compared with the old is there is lots more that is unique in the new, the frame, the motor, the rear end. i've heard that the number of frames being manufactured and the manufacturer of the frames prevents a quick ramp up of production numbers unlike the earlier z06 model which had a lot more in common with a standard vette.

someone mentioned the new GTO. a very interesting concept in a truly horrible body. its ugliness is its planeness. hard to believe that car will ever be a collector's car.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#41]
The price will come down or GM's CEO and board of directors will face a shareholder's lawsuit for failing to fill their fiduciary responsibility.  If there is demand GM will build and the price will respond downwardly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
427 cubic inches in a brand new engine design sums it all up. hr

Not exactly.  The motor isn't really that new, its still just a LSX Gen III Chevy.  At first most people thought the block would be similar to the C5R block with lower CR heads.  After a few engine builders got a chance to tear into the LS7 motor, they realized it was nothing more then a resleaved LS2 aluminum block.  The heads are a new design with big block type flow numbers, unfortunately the aftermarket has already topped the LS7 heads.  Throw in some lightweight, but brittle, titanium parts and top it off with cast pistons and you got a nice stock engine with no room to grow.  

Don't plan on spraying or going FI without a major rebuild to the motor.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#43]
You can't polish a turd, no matter how big an engine you put in it.

Still a GM.

SG
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Have any car rags done a '06 Z06 vs. Ford GT comparo?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

There's a Z06 vs Viper Coupe test in an older issue of Motor Trend.  The Z06 slightly out-performed it but I think the Viper looks too good in coupe form for me to pass up if I was in the market to spend that kind of cash on a car.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Aw, come now.  Corvettes aren't all that bad.

As a matter of fact, I'd say that if GM could deliver the same amount of customer satisfaction that they do for the C5 and C6 corvettes across their entire product line, their troubles would be long gone.

Quoted:
You can't polish a turd, no matter how big an engine you put in it.

Still a GM.

SG

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, Car and Driver had one as well, and the Corvette came out on top though with some bad points against it in the handling department.

While I completely agree the Viper is one of the sexiest cars on the road...if not THE sexiest...have you spent any appreciable amount of time in one?  I have.  Yeah, they are neck snapping fast, but cramped.  I am 6'3" and I had to slouch down in the seat so I wouldn't whack my head against the rear cross beam when the pedal was hit hard.  It is hot as hell too...it radiates from the center channel like crazy.  And, I'd say that overall, it's a bit crude too in it's interior appointments.

Corvettes, well, the c5 anyway, are quite roomy inside the cockpit.  The coupes have a ton of storage space for the cross country trips.  I consider the interior quality a cut above the Viper, though the leather on C5's seem to be a bit cheap.

The Viper is a weekend car, whereas the Corvette is better suited for road trips.

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a Z06 vs Viper Coupe test in an older issue of Motor Trend.  The Z06 slightly out-performed it but I think the Viper looks too good in coupe form for me to pass up if I was in the market to spend that kind of cash on a car.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top