Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2006 3:09:13 AM EDT
I think the new Z06 is a mans car and the Porsche 911 Turbo is for CEO's with too much money and no dick.

The Boxter is a joke and the Cayman is for pussies - give me a straight C06.

I'd pipe in with a Mustang GT or one of the new Dodges, but were talking sports-cars here - either is classier than a Porsche, though.

Euro-trash, I say!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
 The Corvette is a nicer looking car too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 The Corvette is a nicer looking car too.

Who asked you jackass?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I too think that the new Z06 is the baddest thing rolling on 4 wheels that you don't have to get fitted for.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing wrong with a 911 Turbo...Probably the only supercar you can mount skis on and drive in the snow. Its not a big of a bargain as the Z06 but for $125,000 its not nearly as outrageous as some of the other cars...Here's a Porsche that I can't understand...A Cayenne S...525hp in an SUV? Sorry if I'm going that fast I want my butt sitting low to the pavement..

But yeah, the Z06 is faster off the line
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think the new Z06 is a mans car and the Porsche 911 Turbo is for CEO's with too much money and no dick.

I'd pipe in with a Mustang GT or one of the new Dodges, but were talking sports-cars here - either is classier than a Porsche, though.

Euro-trash, I say!!!!!

This is a man who has never driven a Porsche... or doesn't have the skill. And to compare the land yacths that are the Mustang and Charger to either the 911 or the Corvette is like comparing shit to gold.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
 Well, I got to actually drive a 911. And I have driven many Vettes. The 911 I drove was an S, not even the Turbo. ANd, I must say the it kicks butt on any Vette. I like my GT better for looks. But, As far as a real sport car with handleing. 911 takes it. 0 to 60 rocks.... 60 to 140 is better yet. And those pesky 25 mph ramps...... Lets just say my stang will not even complete and niether will the Vette. And just so you know every suspension componant on my car has been changed out for autocross. I have well, over $6000 into it at cost. So, There is what I think....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
All I know is..........
I can't afford either of them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here's a Porsche that I can't understand...A Cayenne S...525hp in an SUV? Sorry if I'm going that fast I want my butt sitting low to the pavement..

28 pounds of boost and only 520bhp. Sounds like a low compression slug that probably has to fight pretty hard to make it's power. I'd hate to be in their warranty department.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
.Here's a Porsche that I can't understand...A Cayenne S...525hp in an SUV?

If I want a hi-po SUV I'd get a Chevy TrailBlazer SS.  But I don't understand period the point of the Cayenne.  It's just a poseur attempting to be a Porsche.

$90+ grand for an SUV? Come on.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The only sports SUV I would buy right now is the first sports SUV made. The GMC Typhoon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have always wanted a Porsche, ever since I was a kid.  The 'Vette just doesn't so it for me in the same way.  Well, maybe a Chip Foose modified '63 would.....

The Z06 is a $65k car though, and I don't think there's much else out there that performs as well at that price.  People make the mistake of thinking that because it's an American car it must not handle well.  It's no 911, but it definately handles better than anything else at that price with that much power.  Oh wait, there isn't anything else with that much power at that price.

I think the C6 is definately the best design of the 'Vette since the C2, and is a gigantic improvement over the C5 visually.  Amazing that they can make it look so much better with such minor changes.  A shame that it took them so long.  The C6 is the  car that the C5 should have been.

With all of that said, if I had $70k, I'd be damn hard pressed not to buy a new 911.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]

I think the C6 is definately the best design of the 'Vette since the C2, and is a gigantic improvement over the C5 visually. Amazing that they can make it look so much better with such minor changes. A shame that it took them so long. The C6 is the car that the C5 should have been.

Uh, no. The C5 is the vette everyone waited for, clearly a leap above all previous vettes.

The C6, takes off from there. It's an evolution of the C5, but visually GM missed the boat on the C6.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The new GT3

and the new Turbo

I love this fat ass
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
A Porsche 911is a man's car, anyone who says otherwise has a very narrow insight of actual vehicles.  The new Vette looks like a Ferrari looks like a Dodge Viper, its lost his nostalgia.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you man enough to handle one of these?  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I think the C6 is definately the best design of the 'Vette since the C2, and is a gigantic improvement over the C5 visually. Amazing that they can make it look so much better with such minor changes. A shame that it took them so long. The C6 is the car that the C5 should have been.

Uh, no. The C5 is the vette everyone waited for, clearly a leap above all previous vettes.
The C6, takes off from there. It's an evolution of the C5, but visually GM missed the boat on the C6.

You wouldn't be biased or anything, would you?

As stated, I think that the C6 is a vast improvement over the C5 visually, and that the subtle changes corrected all the flaws in the C5 design.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

As stated, I think that the C6 is a vast improvement over the C5 visually, and that the subtle changes corrected all the flaws in the C5 design.

I would agree.  I love C5s as well but the appearance always left something to be desired to me, mainly due to the big fat ass they have (the C5 Z06s were even worse IMO).  The C6 actually seems to have a as big or maybe bigger rear but the design is such that it greatly cuts down on how big it looks.  I vastly prefer the creased muscular look too.  The C6 is a sweet sweet bitch.  400hp base is hot shit too...

911 Turbos of course are sweet as well, no way I'll ever buy one though, for that kind of coin I'd rather have something else.  

My memory fails me at the moment but I believe one of the few production cars to beat the new Z06's time on the Nurburing or however you spell it was the Carrera GT, a much much more expensive ride...  Pretty sure the Z06 stomped the last 911 Turbo's times, don't know about the newest one...  That Z06 is flat out amazing for the money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I am, silly question. I still dont like the look of the C6 but it does have the innards and the C6Z06 is a killer beast, no doubt. The horsepower of the C6 is available in the C5 for a couple thousand in mods, much cheaper than the purchase of a new Vette.

That fat ass on the C5 says Corvette to me and it helps get the car it's .29 drag CO.

Here's an interesting treatment of the fat ass:

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The horsepower of the C6 is available in the C5 for a couple thousand in mods,

Which of course you can put into the C6 and get even greater increases.

If you're comparing buying a used C5 for $20k against buying a new C6 for $50k, then yes the HP:$ ratio comes out in favor of the C5 with $2k in mods.  But once you start down that path you quickly wind up getting ridiculous.  I saw a Datsun 210 at Moroso a couple of weeks ago that will smoke any showroom 'Vette and the guy probably had all of $10k into the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong 'Pooby, I like the C5 and 'Vettes in general, but I just think that the C6 is the best one since the '63 splitwindow disapeared in '64.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're comparing buying a used C5 for $20k against buying a new C6 for $50k, then yes the HP:$ ratio comes out in favor of the C5 with $2k in mods.  But once you start down that path you quickly wind up getting ridiculous.  I saw a Datsun 210 at Moroso a couple of weeks ago that will smoke any showroom 'Vette and the guy probably had all of $10k into the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong 'Pooby, I like the C5 and 'Vettes in general, but I just think that the C6 is the best one since the '63 splitwindow disapeared in '64.

I agree with Pooby (and so does the entire automotive press) regarding the C5 being the greatest single-year improvement the Corvette has ever seen.

I also agree with you that the C6 looks better, only I don't think it looks THAT much better.  I simply like the reduced overhangs and the slightly more chiseled lines.

BTW - I'm in Jupiter and have been to Moroso a couple times.  I was there for Cyclepalooza a few weeks back.  Where are you located?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You kinda missed my point. For those of us who dont like the C6 styling(and we are legion), getting the performance of a C6 is easy and cheaper. If you want to spend the same money, you could install one of the many LS7 motors available or look for LPE's 8.3L monster motor soon. The point is moot though because I dont have those dollars, I'm just saying.

All things being equal, if you offered me a C6 I wouldnt take it. If you offered me the performance in a C5 body, I would. I wouldnt take a ZR1 either, I just dont like the look.

Interesting you mention the '63 split-window Vette. My FRC, being a bastard model only made in '99 and '00 is being likened to the '63 in rarity/cult following. It perhaps will become such a collector one day.

ETA: I'm north of Lakeland, my closest tracks are Lakeland and Bradenton. I would like to get down to Moroso for a track day though and I have looked into it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Where did you hear about this 8.3?  I want to know more!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Are you man enough to handle one of these?  

199.165.217.2/porsche/Picture050.jpg

No, no I am not.

God thats hot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Where did you hear about this 8.3?  I want to know more!

Some Corvette mag I bought had an article about some performance industry show in Orlando. In the article they had an 8.3L block (I forget who made it) and they said Lingenfelter (may have been Callaway) got the first ones. Sorry I cant be more specific, I dont have the mag here.

They make the displacement with a bolt on plate between the block and the head that's about an inch thick! It'll be a monster torque motor with a 5.5" stroke!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ETA: I'm north of Lakeland, my closest tracks are Lakeland and Bradenton. I would like to get down to Moroso for a track day though and I have looked into it.

If you're near Bradenton, I wouldn't bother.  Moroso isn't fit to brush the starting line of the guys at Bradenton.... largely because they never brush the starting line.

When we had the all GTO day at Bradenton, they prepped the track (water, the oily tacky crap, brushing the entire length of the trach) between every cycle.  Moroso doesn't prep the track at all and only brushes it if someone's engine explodes.

But, if you're going to make it down to Moroso some time drop me a PM.  I only go on Wednesday nights and I line up on the Dial-in side.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're near Bradenton, I wouldn't bother.  Moroso isn't fit to brush the starting line of the guys at Bradenton.... largely because they never brush the starting line.

When we had the all GTO day at Bradenton, they prepped the track (water, the oily tacky crap, brushing the entire length of the trach) between every cycle.  Moroso doesn't prep the track at all and only brushes it if someone's engine explodes.

But, if you're going to make it down to Moroso some time drop me a PM.  I only go on Wednesday nights and I line up on the Dial-in side.

Will do.

I got the info on that block. It's by erlperformance and it's called their "Superdeck 2".
www.erlperformance.com/products/shopexd.asp?id=19

Not much info there, this is quoted from Vette magazine in an article about the SEMA show.

"It can accomadate displacements up to 500 ci when fitted with a custom 4.5" crank.
Corvette tuner Chuck Mallet was among the first to receive one of these behemoths, so dont be suprised to see an 8.2 liter C6 screamer bearing the Mallet Cars logo in the very near future."

OK, so I was off by a bit.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Pooby,
I have to agree and add this...GM added too much uber-techno crap to the C6.  Come on, navigation, OnStar, shaved door handles with electric poppers?! (Nothing against OnStar but not in a purist car like the Vette.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pooby,
I have to agree and add this...GM added too much uber-techno crap to the C6.  Come on, navigation, OnStar, shaved door handles with electric poppers?! (Nothing against OnStar but not in a purist car like the Vette.

Thanks for the info on that deej, I'm not real familiar with the C6 interior, just the outside and engine compartment. While not a fan of Onstar, Nav units are becoming more popular but not my cup of tea either. They do look cool though.

Kinda of reminds me of the original GSXR 1100. Superlight 100+ hp bike with a great frame. Five years later it had 60+ more hp but weighed over 150lbs more!! Zero gain, just a heavier bike.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm definately going to be putting the XM enabled nav system in my GTO in a few months.  Thankfully I'm not concerned with what category the car is supposed to fit in and whether or not a luxury item will violate that definition.

The XM version is damn cool, as it receives traffic updates and puts them up on the screen and makes detour suggestions to get around accidents.  If you live in an urban environment that is 10x more important than 1/4 mile times or horsepower.

If I wanted a truly basic sports car I'd build one, not buy one.  But for any that are such purists that they think a car should be nothing more than an engine and a transmission and wheels, feel free to pick up a Lotus Elise for less than the price of a new C6.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do.

I got the info on that block. It's by erlperformance and it's called their "Superdeck 2".
www.erlperformance.com/products/shopexd.asp?id=19

Not much info there, this is quoted from Vette magazine in an article about the SEMA show.

"It can accomadate displacements up to 500 ci when fitted with a custom 4.5" crank.
Corvette tuner Chuck Mallet was among the first to receive one of these behemoths, so dont be suprised to see an 8.2 liter C6 screamer bearing the Mallet Cars logo in the very near future."

OK, so I was off by a bit.

And it's technically still a small block.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Euro-trash, I say!!!!!

This is a man who has never driven a Porsche... or doesn't have the skill. And to compare the land yacths that are the Mustang and Charger to either the 911 or the Corvette is like comparing shit to gold.

My initial post was tongue-in-cheek.

The Mustang/Dodge comparison was to be to the Boxster/Cayman, certainly not the Porsche 911.

Have driven Porsches - very nice cars - never a 911 Turbo, though.

Have owned C5 'Vette and driven older Z06 - also very nice cars.

If I had the money to buy a 911 Turbo, I would pass and buy a loaded 2006 Z06 for $75K and a NIB transferrable M60-E3, instead.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#32]
how is that leaf spring rear suspension on the Corvette, huh?

The Corvette costs less for a reason, it can't go round a track as fast as a Porsche...

Don't believe me?  The Nurburgring won't lie...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The Corvette costs less for a reason, it can't go round a track as fast as a Porsche...

And neither does LeMans.

www.formula2.net/2005.htm
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

BullSHIT.

The ONLY Porsche faster than the LS7 Z06 around Nurburgring is the $440k Carrera GT.

Put that in your flat-6 and smoke it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#35]
The Nordschleife Hall of Fame

1.Porsche Carrera GT------------------7MIN 32SEC
2.Chevrolet Corvette Z06 -------------7MIN 42SEC
3.Porsche 996 GT2---------------------7MIN 42SEC
4.Pagani Zonda S----------------------7MIN 44SEC
5.Lamborghini Murcielago--------------7MIN 52SEC
6.Mercedes Mclaren SLR----------------7MIN 52SEC
7.Chevrolet Corvette C6---------------7MIN 59SEC
8.Porsche 911-------------------------8MIN 07SEC
9.Dodge Viper GTS---------------------8MIN 10SEC

ETA: That's a C5 my man.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

OK..I hate to spoil the party Pooby but 2 things

1: The Z06 was actually the c6 that they took out there last year.
www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0509_z06track/index1.html

2. The Porsche 996 that matched the the Z06's time...that's basically a high end 911 so line 3 should be highlighted along with line 8
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My initial post was tongue-in-cheek.

The Mustang/Dodge comparison was to be to the Boxster/Cayman, certainly not the Porsche 911.

Have driven Porsches - very nice cars - never a 911 Turbo, though.

Have owned C5 'Vette and driven older Z06 - also very nice cars.

If I had the money to buy a 911 Turbo, I would pass and buy a loaded 2006 Z06 for $75K and a NIB transferrable M60-E3, instead.

Ah, I understand now. Sorry bro. I have driven the Turbo, only one word - choice. That said, also driven new/old Corvettes and love them. As for (potentially) giving up a 911 Turbo for a Z06 with an M60 instead... can't fault you for that!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK..I hate to spoil the party Pooby but 2 things

1: The Z06 was actually the c6 that they took out there last year.
www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0509_z06track/index1.html

2. The Porsche 996 that matched the the Z06's time...that's basically a high end 911 so line 3 should be highlighted along with line 8

It's definitely the LS7-powered 'Vette (C6 Z06) but that Porsche 911 GT2 costs some $180-190k!!!

....and still manages to only tie the mass-produced (with a full aluminum and magnesium chassis) C6 Z06.

Oh, but I'm sure the interior is really nice on the 911.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

1. Porsche Carrera GT - $440,000
2. Chevy Corvette ZO6 - $65,800
3. Porsche 996 GT2 - $175,000
4. Pagani Zonda S - $350,000
5. Lamborghini Murcielago - $275,000
6. Mercedes Mclaren SLR - $400,000
7. Chevy C6 Corvette - $43,445
8 Porsche 911 - $122,000
9. Dodge Viper GTS - $72,500

Add in a few thousand dollars and the ZO6 would walk past the GT. Kind of funny for a leaf springed American POS.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

8 Porsche 911 - $122,000

Add in a few thousand dollars and the ZO6 would walk past the GT. Kind of funny for a leaf springed American POS.

If we spend that few grand on a blower or twin turbos so we can race in the same class and all your Porches will see nothing but Corvette taillights (from far away).

We'll still be able to afford that M60 and have cash for ammo!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
 Well, I got to actually drive a 911. And I have driven many Vettes. The 911 I drove was an S, not even the Turbo. ANd, I must say the it kicks butt on any Vette. I like my GT better for looks. But, As far as a real sport car with handleing. 911 takes it. 0 to 60 rocks.... 60 to 140 is better yet. And those pesky 25 mph ramps...... Lets just say my stang will not even complete and niether will the Vette. And just so you know every suspension componant on my car has been changed out for autocross. I have well, over $6000 into it at cost. So, There is what I think....

I'd be more impressed with your opinion if you could spell correctly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
But for any that are such purists that they think a car should be nothing more than an engine and a transmission and wheels, feel free to pick up a Lotus Elise for less than the price of a new C6.

What's wrong with that?

I'd LOVE to have an Elise.  Lotus yellow, please.  I just wish I could afford one, but I need to replace my current POS with something that's a little more practical as a daily driver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#44]
ppppllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee.    everyone and their grandfather has a corvette.  i've seen enough of them for a lifetime.

enough said.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Id perfer a Z06 either way
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
ppppllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee.    everyone and their grandfather has a corvette.  i've seen enough of them for a lifetime.
www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/images/dodge/gtsrcon_2.jpg

www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/images/dodge/gtsrcon_1.jpg
enough said.

HAHA,www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0511_z06_gt_viper/

INFORMATION FROM AUTOMOBILEMAG.COM
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Best lap time 1:32.75
Best lap average speed (mph) 73.0
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 4.1/12.0
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 149
Cornering l/r (g) 1.10/1.09
Weight (lb) 3147
Distribution f/r (%) 50.9/49.1
Top speed (mph) 198

Dodge Viper SRT19 Coupe
Best lap time 1:33.95
Best lap average speed (mph) 72.0
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 4.3/12.4
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 150
Cornering l/r (g) 1.04/1.02
Weight (lb) 3454
Distribution f/r (%) 48.8/51.2
Top speed (mph) 190

Eli
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#47]
double post!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

8 Porsche 911 - $122,000

You're prices are waaaaay off... Zonda is more like half a mil, same with the SLR.  Stock 911 (the new 997) is about 90.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But for any that are such purists that they think a car should be nothing more than an engine and a transmission and wheels, feel free to pick up a Lotus Elise for less than the price of a new C6.

What's wrong with that?
I'd LOVE to have an Elise.  Lotus yellow, please.  I just wish I could afford one, but I need to replace my current POS with something that's a little more practical as a daily driver.

You answered your own question.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

8 Porsche 911 - $122,000

You're prices are waaaaay off... Zonda is more like half a mil, same with the SLR.  Stock 911 (the new 997) is about 90.

Prices taken from Fast-Autos.net and they list by MSRP, not actual sale price.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top