Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 10:59:27 PM EDT
Is there any way I can get a correction made to my DD214? I was discharged from the Navy almost 25 years ago. When I was discharged, I was credited with 2 extra years of active duty service (they listed my entry 2 years prior to my actual enlistment). I brought it up at the time but was basically told that my service record wasn't wrong, I was. I was discharged on a Friday afternoon and told if I wanted to argue about it, I could come back on board Monday morning. When I returned home, I contacted my county VA rep. After several weeks, he called me back and said all I had to do was give him the original and he would send it in for correction. I declined as I wasn't willing to surrender the original to have it sent who knows where.

I tried to find the answer online, and see references to a DD215, but it looks like that can only be issued within 3 years. Numerous other searches turn up dead links or refer you back to your last command. My last command is no longer in service. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Submit a DD-149 to the VA for correction of your military record. Good luck buddy
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That appears to be what I'm looking for. Should be cakewalk . Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I did it a couple of decades ago.  DD215 is the correction to the DD214.
(They missed a school.)
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Timely question...I was wondering that same thing this afternoon.  Mine is missing a promotion and an ARCOM.  For some reason I was promoted between the time I got off active duty and when I resigned my commission.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be looking to do a correction eventually in order to add my retirement MSM to my record, as well as the appropriate number of campaign stars to my Iraq Service Medal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Look for your service's Board of Military Corrections. You'll readily find the info and links to the form(s) you need.

I had a medal from Gulf War I added a year or so ago, 18 years after my retirement. One form, some copies of verifying documents, and it sailed through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top