Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:22 AM EDT
Just wondering what the split is on here between people that wear glasses, contacts, mix of the two, lasik, other.  

I've got 20/40 in both eyes. Just enough to not need correction to drive, but i prefer it.  Considered lasik, but everyone i've talked to about is said '20/40 isn't enough to worry about'.   truth be told, if i wear correction for any length of time, my unaided vision goes to shit.   Currently experimenting with one contact in the right (dominant) eye, and nothing on the left just to see how bad my right eye gets in the evening when i take the contact out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Glasses, all day, every day.  I got tired of passing out with my contacts in when I was in college, so basically I just got lazy.  Uncle Sam gives me a new pair every year or two, so I don't complain about it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Contatcts every day for the last 27 years.  My vision sucks.  20/200 in both eyes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Glasses since I was in 3rd grade.

Wore contacts for a few years, but with my job and the occasional welding I do there, I haven't had them for some time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Glasses since about 5th grade.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#5]
20/20 with my contacts...Glasses early morning and when I am done for the day. I hate not having my peripheral vision in focus, so if I am doing anything besides being lazy, my contacts are in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Glasses since '72.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had glasses for the past 15 years.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm nearsighted, the doctor told me that when I'm in the office working on the PC and paperwork to take them off. So, I wear my glasses 40% of my day.

soon I feel I will be getting reading glasses anyway. I'm almost at arms length reading LOL
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
wore glasses for 15 years, had lasik done 4 years ago, will need glasses again soon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:59 AM EDT
[#10]
One contact, left eye, 9 years.
Works well. With both contacts in..I can count fly legs at 100 yrds ..but cannot read or focus on things in front of me.
Wearing just the one contact allows me to do both jobs..near and far.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#11]
glasses from age 8 to about age 14. Contacts from 14 to 26. Lasik at 26.

Love it. I do have halos and starbursts, but they aren't that bad.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Glasses unless I am asleep, shaving or in the shower.  I gave contacts a try when I was 23 and I hated them.  I could always feel them in my eye, they were uncomfortable and itchy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Cant afford good contacts so I mostly go glasses, unless I'm hanging out with members of the opposite sex or shooting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
20/20 with my contacts...Glasses early morning and when I am done for the day. I hate not having my peripheral vision in focus, so if I am doing anything besides being lazy, my contacts are in.

Same same.
Go to work with glasses, change into contacts about 1440, drive home about 1500, workout, shower, glasses the rest of the evening.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

wore glasses for 15 years, had lasik done 4 years ago, will need glasses again soon.

???

This would be my worry if I got lasik.  Why you gonna need glasses again?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

???

the lenses of my eyes have changed shape again, if you are someone that needs a new prescription every couple of years you shouldn't get lasik it probably won't last.

Post surgery I was fantastic 20/15 both eyes which was as good as I could get with a new pair of glasses, just went the eye doctor a couple weeks ago and I am down to 20/35 both eyes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I had corrective surgery to get rid of my far-sightedness.  I now see the line below the 20-20 line.  Don't know what that rating is though......20-15?

That doesn't cure the old man reading glasses I wear if the print is real small though.  That is a different ailment where the muscles can't focus as well as they could when I was young.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Lasik going on 10 years now.  I still have as good of vision as I did when I had it done.

I do not know what my vision was before.  I had astigmatism and very little power so I could not wear normal soft contacts.  Torics would not stabilize well and hards hurt my eyes.

So I wore glasses for 10 years and then had lasik.

When I had it done I was advised that my prescription should not have changed in 4 years which it had not.

I am infinitely happy with my decision to have Lasik done.  My wife is going on 6 years now with Lasik and her vision is still excellent too.

I'm 41 and she is 38 so I'm sure we will need reading glasses in the next few years.  That's a small price to pay for being able to see without vision correction.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:33:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I have contacts in 24 hrs a day for a week at the time.  I take them out and leave them oout for a day or two because I don't want to bother with putting them back in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Lasik.  Got the custom wavefront Lasik, best money I ever spent.  No halos or starbursts after the first 6 months.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lasik.  Got the custom wavefront Lasik, best money I ever spent.  No halos or starbursts after the first 6 months.

I had it done before custom wavefront was available and I do have some halos and starbursts.  But it's not enough to bother me.  I don't even notice it unless I think about it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#23]
20/40 in one eye 20/50 in the other. I only use glasses when not in my apartment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had it done before custom wavefront was available and I do have some halos and starbursts.  But it's not enough to bother me.  I don't even notice it unless I think about it.

Had contacts for a couple years then got LASIK. Best thing ever
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#25]
52 years old, amblyopia (bad right eye).  Glasses 100% of the time.  Daytime glasses are progressive bifocals with astigmatism correction, anti-UV coating, anti-reflective coating, Marchon titanium frames, just under $900 including sales tax.

I have a pair of prescription sunglasses built on Ray-Ban frames.  Progressive bifocals, polarized, anti-UV, another $600.

I wore one contact lens from about age 30 to age 40, at which time I developed dry eyes and could no longer tolerate a contact lens.

My "good" eye corrects to about 20/20 with the expenditures listed above.  It's been a struggle all my life to be able to see well enough to get by without suffering from vision headaches.  Lack of binocular disparity cues makes depth perception challenging, and I generally seem to pick things up a lot slower than people with normal vision.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I got lasik back in '99 and I still have 20/20 vision, but it set me back $5000.  My wife had Lasik 3 years ago and set us back $600, she has 20/15 vision.  I would never go back to glasses or contacts, neither will my wife.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know. I do know the guy who uses WXY all together in serial numbers of the equipment I work on needs his ass kicked.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Had lousy vision since I was a kid.

Did glasses, then hard contacts.

RK done in the mid-80's.  Took me from 20/230 to 20/20.  That lasted almost 15 years until my eyes drifted back to where I was before surgery.  

Between that and passing 40 and not being able to see shit up close OR far away, I've been on progressive lenses since then.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#29]
20/20 vision and Im almost 40. I think you guys are spanking the monkey too much. It will make ya go blind dontcha know.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just wondering what the split is on here between people that wear glasses, contacts, mix of the two, lasik, other.  

I've got 20/40 in both eyes. Just enough to not need correction to drive, but i prefer it.  Considered lasik, but everyone i've talked to about is said '20/40 isn't enough to worry about'.   truth be told, if i wear correction for any length of time, my unaided vision goes to shit.   Currently experimenting with one contact in the right (dominant) eye, and nothing on the left just to see how bad my right eye gets in the evening when i take the contact out.

Your vision does not get worse after wearing the correction. It just appears that way because your brain is not used to interpreting the blur. When you go without correction your visual cortex just tries harder to interpret what you are seeing. When you pull off your glasses or contacts it is not used to having to work so hard so it seems really blurry.  If you check your visual acuity when you feel like you are seeing well with no correction, (20/40 in your case) it will check out exactly the same after you remove your correction at the end of the day(20/40). I know it seems alot worse, but it all about perception. pretty cool way of our body adapting to the situation and not working as hard when it does not have to.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Glasses since 66. Lasik in 2009. Now 20/15. It's a brave new world.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

???

Lasik does not correct for presbyopia, the gradual stiffening of the adaptive lens of the eye that limits range of focus.

I have worn glasses or contacts for nearly 50 years.

All contacts the last 30+.

I now use monovision.

Left eye corrected for reading, right eye for distance.

Without any correction my vision is in the 20/2000 range.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#33]
call out thread ? are you discriminating on my disability ? im gonna sue

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Contacts outside the house, glasses when at home.

Nearsighted 20/30 L, 20/100 R without. 20/15 with glasses or contacts.

Getting surgery after the military as I've been told that it is a disqualifier if done before enlisting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Glasses in 4th grade till high school, then contacts for 10 years till I got sick of them and back to glasses. Had Lasik done last Oct.

If they would let you walk into the office the day after your Lasik surgery and ask you to pay what you think its worth, they would make A SHIT TON MORE money than what they really charge.

It IS that incredible, and worth the few minutes of stress you have to endure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

???

presbyopia    
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
bi-focals all the time.  had experimental laser treatment in the 90's to partiality correct severe vision defects in right eye, defect couldn't be fully corrected but prescription lens is now less complex.  

still have to shoot left handed which is a pain being right handed
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Three months ago my newest pair of high dollar progressive lense glasses could not get my distant vision right because of rapidly developing cataracts so had cataract surgery on one eye on a Wednesday and the other the following Friday.  Just over a week later I drove from Houston to northern Pennsylvania with no glasses.  Now my vision is great from about an arms length out to infinity and low powered cheap readers work for up close work.  I sprung for the multi-focal implants that cost me over a month's take home pay extra and was hoping not to need the readers at all but I was told that this was probably how it would be and I'm really quite happy.  I can shoot well again!!!  I can read the green and white signs on the interstate in time to use the information on them.  Some day I'm sure I'll stop reaching for glasses when I wake up.

Developing cataracts at 62 y/o was really a good thing for me.  My optometrist told me early on that I was not a candidate for contacts or Lasik or any other laser based cornea correction so I was stuck with glasses until this happened.  It is not perfect but I never thought I would ever be able to see like this again.

I found some wrap around polycarbonate shades at Academy that have reader lenses at the bottom for $22.  These are great because my work involves stopping to refer to a map frequently during the day and I can do that without donning the readers in my pocket.  Bass Pro sells some thing similar but the ones Academy sells are much better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Perfect vision in both eyes
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I am borderline, wear glasses (nearsighted) for driving and watching TV, movies, etc. but am glasses free 75% of the day. I am a good candidate for LASIK and have considered it. Surprisingly, when gals see me wearing glasses, I always get compliments.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Not just for bad vision. I have a rocking 20/15 without glasses, but have to wear glasses 100% of the time. And no, I am not taking the piss and talking about sunglasses, these babies are prescription.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top