Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 11:18:58 AM EDT
copy the DVDs to the DVD-R disc. On a recent thread someone posted were you can get the software to copy DVDs to disc. So I down load the software and try to copy a DVD movie. The software says that "no media present" or something to that effect. My computer has a rewrittable compact disc burner. Is this the wrong burner? Do I need a DVD-R burner? and how much do they cost if that is what I need?

Thanks
Dale
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Wrong.
Need a dvd recorder not a cd recorder. If you are attempting to copy store bought MPAA DVD Disc to a DVD-/+R that would be a felony, making the now defunked AWB weapons violation punishment look like a cake walk in the park.
May the lord be with you...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Dale007, don't take this the wrong way, but this is kinda like the infamous call where the lady says the "coffee holder" in her computer is broken.  

As you have discovered, CD writers cannot write to DVD-R discs, CDs and DVDs are a completely different type of media, even though they are similar in appearance.  

The Fair Use doctrine ostensibly gives people the right to make one backup of any media they own..but as flashbang1 has pointed out, copying a game/cd/movie you don't own is a no no, from a legal/ethical standpoint.

I'm sure if you google "dvd copying" you can learn all you need to about it.  

The good news is DVD burners have come down in price, so you can get one for less than $100.  A year or so ago a good one was around $250.  

pricewatch.com is a good place to check out pricing.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top