Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/8/2004 3:09:52 PM EDT
Man Charged With Shooting Cop With Paintball Gun
Officer Returns Fire But Does Not Strike Suspect

POSTED: 9:45 a.m. CDT October 7, 2004
UPDATED: 10:02 a.m. CDT October 7, 2004

Story by nbc5.com

CHICAGO -- A 20-year-old man who shot an off-duty Chicago police officer in the face with a paintball gun was lucky that the officer's return fire -- from a real gun -- did not strike him.

Dennis Byrd, 20, of Chicago, was charged with simple battery and aggravated assault -- both misdemeanors -- for allegedly shooting the officer with the paintball.

Investigators said the incident happened around 9:20 p.m., when the officer went outside his home near 73rd and Honore streets to check on noises. After being struck with what he believed was a real bullet, he said, he saw the suspect pointing a black weapon at him, pulled out his gun and fired.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
if I was a cop, I would have shot back at him with my sidearm as well.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
darwin award candidate
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow. Thats a potential Darwin Award winner there!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would even as a civilian. I havent been shot before, but from what I have heard, it must feel like a paintball gun. Enough to convince me to return fire.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Story by nbc5.com

CHICAGO -- A 20-year-old man who shot an off-duty Chicago police officer in the face with a paintball gun was lucky that the officer's return fire -- from a real gun -- did not strike him.

After being struck with what he believed was a real bullet, he said, he saw the suspect pointing a black weapon at him, pulled out his gun and fired.

Did he think his blood had been replaced with bright colored paint as well?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would even as a civilian. I havent been shot before, but from what I have heard, it must feel like a paintball gun. Enough to convince me to return fire.

Especially if the paint was red.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Paintball in the FACE?  

Fuck yeah I'd shoot back.  

Potentially life threatening.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have shot him. I dont think in the split second the cop had when he saw a gun pointed at him and had felt an impact on his body that he would be able to sit there and decipher all the possibilities there could be. Life and death are sometimes measured in milliseconds, shoot first, shoot best.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
It was at night... and trust me it hurts bad enough when you get hit in the face with a paintball you dont see very well probably wouldnt be able to tell what color it was.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It was at night... and trust me it hurts bad enough when you get hit in the face with a paintball you dont see very well probably wouldnt be able to tell what color it was.

big +1 on that one

Dumbass move by idiot with paintgun, 100% correct decision by cop

Cop needs to learn to hit what he's shooting at though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]
stupid!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#14]
To bad the cop didn't hit him back
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#15]
How much you want to bet we see a bill to ban paint ball guns there within a month?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How much you want to bet we see a bill to ban paint ball guns there within a month?  

I thought some one would suggest arming the police with paintball guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
This reminds me of the video of the kid standing in the river and getting shot with a paintball gun. I suggested the shooters be brought up on assault charges ............... funny how this triggerd a ton of responses that said "aww come on there just kids being kids" .......... and now this thread is triggering many responses of "I would have shot back also"

Go figure

AKASL
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Story by nbc5.com

After being struck with what he believed was a real bullet, he said, he saw the suspect pointing a black weapon at him, pulled out his gun and fired.

Did he think his blood had been replaced with bright colored paint as well?

I doubt that he noticed much other than the gun-like object, and the pain.

I'd have shot at the idiot, and not regretted it, even if it killed him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The cop knew he could claim there was a dog present, if needed.

(agree with everyone else... too bad he didn't hit the guy)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
darwin award candidate

+1  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#21]
i also would have returned fire.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This reminds me of the video of the kid standing in the river and getting shot with a paintball gun. I suggested the shooters be brought up on assault charges ............... funny how this triggerd a ton of responses that said "aww come on there just kids being kids" .......... and now this thread is triggering many responses of "I would have shot back also"

Go figure

AKASL

Apples and Oranges.

First, it was daylight
Second, they were shooting him the legs, not the face.   Thus, low danger of serious injury.

FWIW, the video was kinda funny, but not something I would have had a part in
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I've worked in the paintball industry for about 8 years. Almost six years ago, I was shot in the face because a customer came in the store with a loaded paintball gun and no barrel plug.  I am completely blind in my right eye.

Believe me, if I am shot at with a paintball gun, while not wearing eye protection, they might as well have used a real gun because my reaction will be the same.

Paintball guns are not toys and should be treated as a dangerous weapon unless they are used as intended.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#24]
The cop did exactly what I would have done… except actually shoot the bastard.

With a paintball gun it is EASY to blind someone who does not have proper eye protection.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go figure

AKASL

Apples and Oranges.

First, it was daylight
Second, they were shooting him the legs, not the face.   Thus, low danger of serious injury.

FWIW, the video was kinda funny, but not something I would have had a part in

Not to mention the fact that the kids were friends. The cop and the idiot were strangers.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#26]
A p-ball gun is considered a deadly weapon in a lot of jurisdictions. You can cause some severe injuries to someone not properly protected.
Too bad the cop didn't connect.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#27]
The Cop can get away with returning fire from a gun.... apparently.
What would have happened if it was Joe Citizen returning fire from a paintball gun at night with live ammunition???
You're ass would be sitting in jail.

Dont mean to but its the truth.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What would have happened if it was Joe Citizen returning fire from a paintball gun at night with live ammunition???

Not here you wouldn't.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Better sitting in jail, than spending the rest of my life using a freakin' white cane to find my way around.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]
He was a Darwin candidate hopeful.  He needed to die to get the nomination.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Look knucklehead in most jurisdictions you can use deadly force if you are in fear of death or severe bodily harm. Blindness is certainly severe bodily harm.

The cop was operating well within his right to self-defense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#32]
You have no problem killing a person cause they hit you with a paintball???
Cmon guys.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

Absolutely NO problem.

I worked in the paintball insurance industry and have seen the damage a paintball can do to the human eye. This cop could have been easily blinded for life the dumb SOB shooting paintballs at him DESERVED to be shot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You have no problem killing a person cause they hit you with a paintball??? hr

Look, I've already explained that I am blind in one eye from a paintball.  I still play the game almost every weekend.  But if some idiot decides to shoot at me or mine when I am not wearing eye protection, I will stop them from hurting me.
Do you not consider permanent blindness severe bodily injury?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#36]
YOU DO NOT shoot paintballs at someone unprotected face UNLESS YOU ARE TRYING TO BLIND THEM.

THE COP WAS JUSTIFIED.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

Nope.   How are you to know in that split second responce time they are just paint balls and not something heavier or worse like a sabbot from a silenced firearm.   Hell a paint ball is dangerous, You should see the damage a frozen one will do.

Around here you could get shot if you use a laser pointer and make a cop a focal point.  They draw and shoot towards the origin of the beam.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

Do you not consider permanent blindness severe bodily injury?

Yes I do, and I couldn't imagine having to go through what you have at the result of a paintball. But me personally am not willing to kill another person, to defend myself from a potential eye injury.

Who knows, in the heat of the moment I might think otherwise, but while in the comfort of my chair, it doesnt sit well with me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

Nope.   How are you to know in that few seconds they are just paint balls and not something heavier? or worse a sabbot from a sinenced firearm.   Hell a paint ball is dangerous.  You should see the damage a frozen one will do.

Around here you could get shot if you use a laser point and make a cop a focal point.  They draw and shoot towards the origin of the beam.

Good point .

The cop was justifed as soon as the paintball gun was pointed at him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Would you protect yourself from a potential injury from a firearm? Sure you would. P-ball guns are considered such in lots of jurisdictions because of the severe bodily harm they can cause.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#41]
PB guns were regulated here for that reason...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Did the kid intend to kill or maim the cop? Probably not. He probably just thought it would be funny to tag a cop.

Was the cop justified in resorting to lethal force?

Absolutely. All the cop knows is he was being shot at or was already shot. In a high stress moment, auditory exclusion is not uncommon. In the moment, the police officer was in reasonable fear for his life. When someone points a gun at you, you just perceive a threat and react.

An instructor of mine saw a man loitering by a car lot and went to him. The guy reached into his waistband and began to produce a S&W automatic pistol. The instructor drew his issue H&K USP. He began squeezing the trigger as he pressed the gun out from center mass, just as he had instructed hundreds of students to do. But just before the trigger released, he noticed something wasn't "right" with the perp's firearm. The little voice in his head screamed "DON'T SHOOT" and he let off the trigger. (He was moving while all of this was going on...)

He finally got the perp to be cooperative and put him in custody. Then he investigated. Turns out the gun the perp had was an airsoft gun. The instructor was familiar enough with firearms that he knew that the weapon wasn't reflecting the light right, and that simple instinct saved the perp's life.

The instructor then, in very unpleasant terms, explained to the perp that he was a mere fraction of a second away from dying because he pulled a toy gun on a cop packing a real one with training enough to use it.

In that situation lethal force was justified because the officer was in reasonable fear of his life.

Would one of us be given such a benefit of the doubt? Depends, I guess, on your jurisdiction, the responding officer, etc. But overall as long as you are in reasonable fear for your life you are justified in using lethal force.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
PB guns were regulated here for that reason...

No actually they are regulated there because you have a nanny government.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You have no problem killing a person cause they hit you with a paintball??? hr

When was the last time you got shot in the face with a paintball gun?

I play, and that shit hurts like hell on bare skin. Imagine getting popped in the face, close range, with no protection. He probably did think he was shot. I'd fire back as well.

/Too bad the Cop missed- one less idiot in the world.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

It's easy to take advantage of a blind person..
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought some one would suggest arming the police with paintball guns.hr

Some departments do have paintball guns. a.k.a "Pepperball"  OC filled paintballs!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

You ever been out in the real world? Or do you have a curfew?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

No problem at all...why don't you try shooting me with a paintball sometime...better have your will up to date!

Good shoot, IMHO...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cmon guys.....

You ever been out in the real world? Or do you have a curfew?

cute.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top