Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/18/2017 1:24:01 PM EDT
Story.
  • Deputy Brandon Hegele was arrested and charged with reckless driving after an on-duty crash in May 2016
  • Dash cam footage shows Hegele driving at 104mph and weaving through lanes 
  • He hit a Smart car, causing severe injuries to the driver Harry Deshommes, 61
  • Hegele has had six previous collisions in his patrol car, usually only followed by a written reprimand
  • He goes on trial on August 28 
  • View Quote
    The video from May 2016 shows the deputy changing lanes nine times and turning on his emergency lights to go through two intersections.He was pursuing a red car that was suspected to be related to a felony case, but ignored three radio commands when he was told to step down.
    View Quote
    The victim, now 61-year-old Harry Deshommes, was seriously injured and rushed to St. Mary's Medical Center where he had to have his spleen removed. His injuries also included a skull fracture, traumatic brain injury, and a broken arm, ribs, back and pelvis. His memory has also deteriorated.
    View Quote
    Deputy Crashes Into a Smart Car at 100 mph
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:26:09 PM EDT
    [#1]
    Dumbass
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:26:26 PM EDT
    [#2]
    meh
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:26:43 PM EDT
    [#3]
    Smart car driver looked like he was all over the road. Cop sisnt look for the openong, he looked at the car and ran right into it. Accident avoidance 101, look where you want to go...
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:26:48 PM EDT
    [#4]
    Wonder what the Smart car looked like after that smack in the ass?
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:27:58 PM EDT
    [#5]
    Lights/sirens not on, I assume? I watched the video without volume.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:28:04 PM EDT
    [#6]
    Don't worry, the usual TBL suspects will be here soon to massage criminal cop's balls and defend him.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:28:18 PM EDT
    [#7]
    She gon'
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
    [#8]
    Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Pics in the article.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:28:30 PM EDT
    [#9]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Read the article.  Theres photos.

That cop is an idiot.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:28:42 PM EDT
    [#10]
    Way to fast.  Good charge.

Guess no lights or sirens?

Old dude wasn't paying attention either. Went from middle lane to left lane without checking his mirrors.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:29:01 PM EDT
    [#11]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    I didn't hear any sirens. Not sure if he had his lights going or not but that stupid fuck just cost the tax payers a lot of money. 
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:29:13 PM EDT
    [#12]
    Well that was dumb...
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:29:19 PM EDT
    [#13]
    Quoted:
    Don't worry, the usual TBL suspects will be here soon to massage criminal cop's balls and defend him.
    View Quote
    Or laugh at your dumb post.

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:29:27 PM EDT
    [#14]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    And don't worry, you'll be here to make comments to provoke it, just as usual.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:29:37 PM EDT
    [#15]
    Dumbass. Couldn't hear sirens, obviously no idea on lights. But based on video, smart Car got in his lane. Not sure I'd convict based on that video

Didn't read article, what was posted speed? 104 in a 75 isn't fast.

104 in a 55 is another story

Someone's getting paid regardless
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:29:48 PM EDT
    [#16]
    Smart my ass
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:30:02 PM EDT
    [#17]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Didn't hear a siren or see any sign of lights, just like he was out on a hauling ass Sunday drive
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:30:07 PM EDT
    [#18]
    Looks like target fixation got him where he swerved into it.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:30:27 PM EDT
    [#19]
    Quoted:

Old dude wasn't paying attention either. Went from middle lane to left lane without checking his mirrors.
    View Quote
    to be fair that cop was going so fast for the smart car driver to react. He probably looked in his mirror and saw the cop a good ways behind him not realizing the retard was going over 100mph. 
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:30:56 PM EDT
    [#20]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Reading the article would satisfy your curiosity.

Beat a couple times.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:30:59 PM EDT
    [#21]
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:31:12 PM EDT
    [#22]
    Quoted:
    Dumbass. But based on video, smart Car got in his lane. Not sure I'd convict based on that video
    View Quote
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:31:20 PM EDT
    [#23]
    I can't believe the guy lived.  Those things are so tiny I think I could actually street fighter them.  Looks like nothing more than a go cart with body kit.  I was expecting the car to be vaporized.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:31:49 PM EDT
    [#24]
    Quoted:
    to be fair that cop was going so fast for the smart car driver to react. He probably looked in his mirror and saw the cop a good ways behind him not realizing the retard was going over 100mph. 
    View Quote View All Quotes
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

You don't pull out into the middle then to the left.

Thats shitty driving.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:32:41 PM EDT
    [#25]
    Looking at the type of road and a signal coming up in the distance im guessing the speed was 45 at most 55, so yeah the speed was definitely unnecessary. and the smart car lane change was stupid but usually dont expect a car going 104 with no sirens
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:32:55 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Quoted:
    Dumbass
    View Quote
    FPNI
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:32:56 PM EDT
    [#27]
    I don't even know if this guy should be allowed to drive a desk

2005: Details unknown; written reprimand.

2006: Backed up his cruiser into a parked car; written reprimand.

2007:Fell asleep at the wheel and hit a median, causing $1,207.82 in damages; reprimand unknown.

2008: Patrol car rear-ended vehicle that was clearing an intersection, causing $4,000 in damages; one-day suspension without pay and 60 days without a vehicle.

2009: Rear-ended a Ford SUV on westbound Gateway Boulevard, causing nearly $12,000 in damages; written reprimand.

2011: Failed to report a crash until hours after it happened and once he had replaced the car's flat tires. Investigators believe Hegele attempted to respond to a robbery call and hit either a curb or a sidewalk that slashed two of his tires. The report said Hegele called to let dispatch know he was having issues with his vehicle and to put him out of service, but did not say what happened. Then, he called another deputy to bring him spare tires, went to a restaurant for dinner and then called a sergeant nearly two hours after the incident happened to report the damage.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:32:59 PM EDT
    [#28]

The video from May 2016 shows the deputy changing lanes nine times and turning on his emergency lights to go through two intersections.

He was pursuing a red car that was suspected to be related to a felony case, but ignored three radio commands when he was told to step down.
    View Quote
    These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:33:22 PM EDT
    [#29]
    Dumbass...both of them
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:33:28 PM EDT
    [#30]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Not nearly as bad as you might expect:

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:33:44 PM EDT
    [#31]
    Quoted:

Thats shitty driving.
    View Quote
    Not arguing that. But the old guy had no way of knowing the cop was going that fast. No siren or lights. 95% of the blame is on the cop. 
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:33:50 PM EDT
    [#32]
    Looks like the old fart in the dumb car used three lanes during his turn onto the hwy and when the cop hit him he was still occupying 2 lanes. He should be charged not the cop.

Fucking idiot was all over the Rd during the 4 seconds he was on that hwy. If he would have turned into one lane and stayed there the collision would have been avoided.

Did he not look when he pulled out?
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:08 PM EDT
    [#33]
    The guys who let him off for his six previous wrecks should be terminated. Sounds like he was a shitty driver with no common sense who had fellow cops cover for him.

I don't think he was running code in the video, if he wasn't, he damn well is to blame.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:36 PM EDT
    [#34]
    Quoted:

View Quote
    See my edit. Let's discuss
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:39 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Quoted:
    Looks like the old farther in the dumb car used three lanes during his turn onto the hwy and when the cop hit him he was still occupying 2 lanes. He should be charged not the cop.

Fucking idiot was all over the Rd during the 4 seconds he was on that hwy. If he would have turned into one lane and stayed there the collision would have been avoided.

Did he not look when he pulled out?
    View Quote
    we got one! 
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:50 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Nah, they'll probably just laugh at the overemotional knee-jerk bleating of those with hurt feels.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:57 PM EDT
    [#37]
    Quoted:

Read the article.  Theres photos.

That cop is an idiot.
    View Quote
    Only saw the video. It's not as tore up as  I thought it would be.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:35:04 PM EDT
    [#38]
    Quoted:
    Not arguing that. But the old guy had no way of knowing the cop was going that fast. No siren or lights. 95% of the blame is on the cop. 
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Thats shitty driving.
    The cop was close when he started pulling to the left.

He wasn't a mile away.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:35:31 PM EDT
    [#39]
    That guy fucking sucks at driving, but also what the fuck was that smart car driver doing? He fucking sucks at driving also.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:35:35 PM EDT
    [#40]
    Quoted:
    Smart car driver looked like he was all over the road.
    View Quote
    That's an understatement.   Old man should share some of the liability as well.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:35:43 PM EDT
    [#41]
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Pics in the article.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/15/16/4346857900000578-4792830-image-a-11_1502812200438.jpg
    Much better than l imagined.  Since they have no ass to begin with.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:35:54 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Quoted:

View Quote
    And the deputy got told three times to shut it down.

Idiot.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:36:11 PM EDT
    [#43]
    Yup, instead of assholes colliding it's dumbasses.  Hopefully the cop gets jail time for it...apparently it's been a long time coming.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:36:22 PM EDT
    [#44]
    After watching the vid, old driver gonna old driver.

Also, 6 previous collisions while on the job, lol.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:36:32 PM EDT
    [#45]
    Quoted:

View Quote
    Cop target fixated, old guy was a hazard. Probably would have been an accident regardless of speed (IE a car doing the speed limit would have had a tough time avoiding the Smart car).
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:37:06 PM EDT
    [#46]
    Quoted:

Much better than l imagined.  Since they have no ass to begin with.
    View Quote
    I hear Tay Tay drives one
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:37:36 PM EDT
    [#47]
    Quoted:
    View Quote
    Come on now. If that speed is safe on a downtown street at night, then surely it's safe on a wide road during the daytime.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:37:50 PM EDT
    [#48]
    Quoted:
    Dumbass. But based on video, smart Car got in his lane. Not sure I'd convict based on that video
    View Quote
    LEO should have had lights and sirens on.  Sirens for sure weren't on.  Unable to tell if the lights where.  Looked pretty bright out though, which makes overheads harder to see.

That being said, with that traffic on the road, 104 is too damn fast.  You can't get to a call fast enough if you wreck your squad.

Anyone who has ever gone anywhere under lights and sirens should know that people don't always see you, in fact, most do not.  They are not some invisible force that will allow you to drive in a fashion that exceeds the driver's or the vehicle's ability to make quick maneuvers or stop the squad safely.

He forgot apparently all of that, or blatantly ignored it.  If he also ignored three orders to stand down from supervisors, even worse.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:38:52 PM EDT
    [#49]
    The cop was reckless by going that fast, however, that smart car driver is a fucking moron. Based on that dipshit maneuver alone I wouldn't convict.

I cant tell you how many times fucking idiots like this pull in front of me as I approach at speed, instead of staying in the lane of least resistance. Fucking cunts. Good smash.
    Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:39:12 PM EDT
    [#50]
    I guess the 6 previous reprimands didn't even inspire the use of a siren.

That guy just needs the juice!
    Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 7
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top