Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2005 7:29:12 AM EDT
I live in NY where we have a law (can you believe it???) that makes it illegal to drive your car while being on a cell unless you have a hands-free kit.  Well the other day, I was driving on I87 and saw a State Trooper on her personal cell phone (wish I could have taken a picture of this).  Is this illegal or can the Trooper due what they wish.  The troopers certainly don't follow the driving rules I know that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually alot of police carry dept issued cellphones for official use.   Could have been called by a person she was working with on a traffic accident or any other case.   Regardless, if there's a law about driving while on the cellphone then she shouldnt have done it if it were a routine call.  

You really dont have enough facts to make a call on this one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Make a citizen's arrest.

The courts will support you!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw this the other day as well here in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Actually alot of police carry dept issued cellphones for official use.   Could have been called by a person she was working with on a traffic accident or any other case.   Regardless, if there's a law about driving while on the cellphone then she shouldnt have done it if it were a routine call.  

wrong, if the cop was on a cell phone and driving, then he is in violation of the law and not complying by using a hands free kit.
If you see a cop speeding, and he doesnt have his lights on, he is breaking the law.
I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.
Law applies to everyone, contrary to popular belief amongst the JBT crowd, they are subject to the law as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong, if the cop was on a cell phone and driving, then he is in violation of the law and not complying by using a hands free kit.
If you see a cop speeding, and he doesnt have his lights on, he is breaking the law.
I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.
Law applies to everyone, contrary to popular belief amongst the JBT crowd, they are subject to the law as well.

Sure they're not exempted? It seems plausible. In California, they're allowed to own LOTS of things that the common folk can't be trusted with.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't be a petty little bitch.  Live your own life.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Someone told me that is against the rules for a WV State cop to use a cell phone at all while on duty.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Would a cop giving him a ticket for talking without a hands-free set ALSO be a "petty little bitch"?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]
cops are allowed to speed because they need to cover alot of ground on their shift. They need to speed to get places faster to catch those speeders!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
cops are allowed to speed because they need to cover alot of ground on their shift. They need to speed to get places faster to catch those speeders!

Yes and in Texas the need to have their lights on.
I see them all the time running lights and speeding to get to Mcdonalds.
There was a big story here locally on this.
The local TV taped them on camera doing this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I live in NY where we have a law (can you believe it???) that makes it illegal to drive your car while being on a cell unless you have a hands-free kit.  Well the other day, I was driving on I87 and saw a State Trooper on her personal cell phone (wish I could have taken a picture of this).  Is this illegal or can the Trooper due what they wish.  The troopers certainly don't follow the driving rules I know that.

How do you know it was her personal cell phone?  Assuming?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You are correct that the laws applies to Law Enforcement Officers as well as anyone else.  I speed quite a bit like most drivers.  I do not believe I drive dangerously however.

If it was your child who had just been hit by a car while riding her bike or your mother who was having a heart attack or your sister who was being beat up by her boyfriend would you want me to drive a little fast to the scene or go the speed limit and make sure I come to a full and complete stop at every stop sign?  Sometimes seconds count and I try to do my job efficiently and the best I can.

People don;t know if you are on your way to lunch or a burglary in progress all they see is you going 55 in a 40 zone or something like that.  We want to help people/ catch criminals and sometimes we are guilty of trying to do that.

If you were not home to defend your castle and your burglar alarm was going off would you want me to try to get there and catch the guy or just show up later to take the report?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Do to the increasing use of scanners, our Dept. recommends LEO's to have cell phones, so important info gets to the officers and not over the police band where the criminals use scanners to find out whats going on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#16]
That dirty bitch needs to be fired. She should be locked up. She should lose her home. Her children should be forced to wear rags and beg for food. I hate crooked Cops.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#17]
i'll file this in my 'who gives a shit' section, so should you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The fact is she was in violation.  Period.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#19]
"I am the only person here qualified to drive a car and talk on the cellphone at the same time"
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#20]
how do you know it was his "personal" phone. brass nextels me quite a bit about legit stuff on the dept phone when i'm in the unit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i'll file this in my 'who gives a shit' section, so should you.

I give a shit because every time I go to New York state I don't use my cell while driving because I would rather not have a ticket for such a stupid thing and I am sure there are cops who WILL give a ticket for it.   I am sure I would find that one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"I am the de only person here dats be qualified to drive a car and talk tawk on the da cellphone at the de same time"

Fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.

WRONG. When cops get an emergency call, it's not ALWAYS feasable to utilize there emergency lights. Emergency lights are used mainly to get to accidents, injuries and assaults and some robberies, you want the bad guys to hear you coming, to try to stop there actions, preventing injury. A couple of reasons you would not use your lights is for burglaries and drug dealing, because you want to keep the element of surprise, to try and catch the offenders.  Not saying this is ALWAYS the case, but there are certain precedures that call for the use of lights and some that do not. So, just because a cop is speeding with there light off, does not automatically mean that they are breaking the law.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Here in PA* our Governor, Fast Eddie Rendell, gets chauffered by a state trooper who has been busted at least 9 times for going OVER 100 MPH.

NO tickets for the driver or his boss (who told him to go faster)

Hundreds of accounts for your reading pleasure

If the State Police don't respect the speed limit, then why should we?

(double-standards DESTROY respect for the law)

*Now improved with higher taxes!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#25]
LEOs are exempt from many of these laws, like MANDATORY seat belts.  In CA LEOs do not have to use them but they are recommended by their departments.  Oddly taxi drivers do not have to wear them if they have a fare in the car.

NY Exceptions pretty much include LEO business.

When the driver uses a hands-free         mobile telephone, which allows the user to communicate without the use         of either hand.

When the purpose of the phone call is         to communicate an emergency to a police or fire department, a         hospital or physician's office, or an ambulance corps.

When operating an authorized emergency         vehicle in the performance of official duties.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
LEOs are exempt from many of these laws, like MANDATORY seat belts.  In CA LEOs do not have to use them but they are recommended by their departments.  Oddly taxi drivers do not have to wear them if they have a fare in the car.

interesting, i never knew that
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.

WRONG. When cops get an emergency call, it's not ALWAYS feasable to utilize there emergency lights. Emergency lights are used mainly to get to accidents, injuries and assaults and some robberies, you want the bad guys to hear you coming, to try to stop there actions, preventing injury. A couple of reasons you would not use your lights is for burglaries and drug dealing, because you want to keep the element of surprise, to try and catch the offenders.  Not saying this is ALWAYS the case, but there are certain precedures that call for the use of lights and some that do not. So, just because a cop is speeding with there light off, does not automatically mean that they are breaking the law.

He may not be breaking the law but how many people have been killed by high speed cop antics?
The laws vary from state to state in TX they are required to have the lights on if speeding.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yup, lots of places have explicity language in the LAW, that Says "This doesn't apply to emergency personal or vehicles in the performance of their duties".   So, they aren't breaking the law.  For example, I recall the British Columbia Motor Vehicle act  explicitly excluded emergency vehicles from sections on speeding limits, parking, standing, etc .

Thats why police cars don't get ticketed for blocking traffic at a car accident....

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

snip

If you were not home to defend your castle and your burglar alarm was going off would you want me to try to get there and catch the guy or just show up later to take the report?

Are you kidding me? Police actually showing up WHILE a crime's being committed? I thought the modus operandi of the JBT community was to always show up afterward...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I believe the NY cellphone/driving law exempts LEOs on duty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#31]
LAW:
Exceptions:
-When the driver uses a hands-free mobile telephone, which allows the user to communicate without the use of either hand.
-When the purpose of the phone call is to communicate an emergency to a police or fire department, a hospital or physician's office, or an ambulance corps.
-When operating an authorized emergency vehicle in the performance of official duties.

Penalty:
As of December 1, 2001 violators may be issued a ticket for a traffic infraction, resulting in a fine of up to $100

there, now you can officially not give a shit!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I have two phones and two pagers issued.  And it's legal in Texas.  I NEVER use lights if I can help it, they attract idiots like moths to a flame.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The laws vary from state to state in TX they are required to have the lights on if speeding.

Don't mean to sound like an ass dude but research the law before you start talking out your ass.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
LAW:
Exceptions:
-When the driver uses a hands-free mobile telephone, which allows the user to communicate without the use of either hand.
-When the purpose of the phone call is to communicate an emergency to a police or fire department, a hospital or physician's office, or an ambulance corps.
-When operating an authorized emergency vehicle in the performance of official duties.

Penalty:
As of December 1, 2001 violators may be issued a ticket for a traffic infraction, resulting in a fine of up to $100

there, now you can officially not give a shit!

I have no actual knowledge on this subject, but here's some of what I've [heard about it here in Missouri;

A police car/ambulance/fire truck isn't "an emergency vehicle" unless it has flashing lights turned on and an audible signal.

Even when they're operating as an emergency vehicle it's still not legal for them to break any laws, like speeding or running stoplights.

The flashing lights have to be red. Blue is only for volunteer firefighters. (They used to be this way, but now have red/blue/white combinations. Volunteer FF are still just blue).

Like I said, I have no actual knowledge, and don't care either way, but I'm often curious when this subject is brought. Not curious enough to research it though.  Just sharing some "Well I heard........" info with you guys.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.

He may not be breaking the law but

how many people have been killed by high speed cop antics?

can you show me some literature on that cause I dont recall many???

once again LET THE COP BASHING BEGIN STRAIGHT FROM COP BASHERS

DRUFF
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That dirty bitch needs to be fired. She should be locked up. She should lose her home. Her children should be forced to wear rags and beg for food. I hate crooked Cops.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Several times a day I am told by dispatch to call the supervisor, watch comander, coroner, informants, victims, angry parents, ect. all those calls are made on my "personal" cellphone.

if each time I was ordered to call someone I went back to the station to make that call on a land line, i would be out of service for 40 minutes for each call, just driving from my patrol area to the station & back.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would a cop giving him a ticket for talking without a hands-free set ALSO be a "petty little bitch"?

No. He'd be a shunned petty little bitch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Nevermind someone quoted the law.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.

Actually, you are both wrong and both right; depends on the state law. In MO where I used to work an officer HAD to use lights AND sirens in order to operate as an emergency vehicle and be exempt from traffic laws.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I've dropped out of this completely, it's nothing but a LEO bash on some parts by people who have no idea what they're talking about.   Btw, I was a TX LEO (I'm sure I've still got my Peace officer's license around here somewhere) and we were not required to run lights to exceed the speed limit.  

Believe whatever you want, call in whatever you want.   I'm sure posting to an internet board makes you feel better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Haven't you learned yet police and public officials are unofficially exempt from the law, except when they they do something really, really bad (and get caught)?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I speed every time I drive. I trust my driving skill, and I keep my vehicles maintained. I use a cell phone when I am drinving(at times). If I get caught I will pay the ticket and go on doing the same. I don't give a rat's ass about what others are doing unless it interfers with my journey/safety.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#45]
There are laws that are passed for "safety issues", such as window tint laws, and yes, cell phone use.

So, if it is unsafe to drive cars using cell phones or with heavily tinted windows, it is unsafe for all, INCLUDING police.  If tiny pistols under a certain weight are cheap/unsafe, then they are unsafe for everyone.  If it is unsafe to drive without seatbelts (and it is), this should apply to police as well.

Police should not be exempted by laws if they are SAFETY issues.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

He may not be breaking the law but how many people have been killed by high speed cop antics?

Do you have any sources to back up this info????  Maybe you could post a link to back this up?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.

I tell you what.  Some day when a Bad Guy is kicks in your front door, and is coming after you and your family, and you are screaming for help on the phone, I'll make sure I drive the speed limit to get there!  Cry baby!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Last year, I stopped at a 4 way stop sign intersection. As I started to go, a woman police officer on a cell phone ran the stop sign to my right, traveling towards the left, and nearly hit me broadside. I had to stop abruptly to avoid the collision.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So, how many people have died from these cop antics?  

Stick to airsoft bashing threads.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I call those guys in.
They get heat for it.

Does it make you feel better calling in and whining to the Sergeant about someone using a cell phone or what you think is speeding?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top