Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 2:17:58 AM EDT
mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040919p2a00m0dm004000c.html

Cop botches suicide attempt sparked by wedding woes

HIROSHIMA -- A police sergeant who attempted suicide by shooting himself in the head with his service revolver because of problems with a marriage failed to take his own life after he missed his target despite firing from point-blank range, according to police.

The 30-year-old sergeant, whose name has not been disclosed, was not injured by the shot, which blasted through a window in the Hiroshima Prefectural Police force headquarters.

Another officer in the same room when the incident occurred also escaped unscathed.

Internal affairs officers are questioning the sergeant with a view to laying charges for breaking the Firearms and Swords Control Law. The sergeant admits to firing the unauthorized shot.

"I was worried about a problem with my marriage. I wanted to commit suicide and pulling the trigger was just a reflex action," the sergeant said.

Police said the sergeant's shot burst through an office window and slammed into a wall of the adjacent wing. (Mainichi Shimbun, Sept. 19, 2004)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
flinch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top