Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2002 4:21:47 PM EDT
OK  I have your attention, for ETH and legal members. Here is the scenario:

A group or recruits in a live in academy, act like kids, some throw water ballons, one even smokes a cigarette. At 1am they are taken 1 by 1 from their rooms, by intimadation, write reports on what happened.

Then they are told they wil see the Captain in the AM. But they are segregated from the rest of the recruits, locked in cells with no water, toilet paper, and therre are no watchtours done.

Next morning they are kicked out of the academy and will lose their jobs. In fear they sign contracts that they may return to the academy if they agree to never sue for what was done to them. At no point did they talk to a lawyer.

This was 9 years ago. One comes to me and asks if he can sue or did the statute of limitations run out as friend also a lawyer said the contract was illegal.

Is there an action that has a longer than 2 year statute of limitations. Is this employment law, or a violation of their rights by criminal restraint. Ok guys what do you think?

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
wwaahhhh!   my pvssy hurts!

Tell you buddy to quit looking for the quick buck.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about NJ, but it sounds like they signed general releases not a contract anyway. Would make it difficult to sue and it is unlikely a prosecutor would be interested.

In a triage/legal analysis I would probably first ask what are the real damages here and do they make civil litigation worthwhile.

Not to diminish the occurance but I doubt you will find an atty who would take this on a contigency fee basis (a % of the settlement), usually a good indication of the value of a case.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
"Like it says in the post before "Waaaaahhhh, my pvssy hurts." I agree 100%."

I just looked in websters and that's what they advised.  really

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Bullshit.  I just looked in a thesaurus, and it said it was a vagina, NOT a pussy!  Anywho, I guess it still hurts for those affected.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#5]
If that happened today, they would definitely have a case both criminal and civil against the administrators and instructors that did it.  Nine years ago?  The first question any competent attorney is going to ask your buddy is 'why the hell did you wait so long?'  The first thing a jury is going to think (assuming it ever got that far, which I doubt) is 'this guy is looking for a quick buck'.

I think your friend's best bet is to chalk it up to life experience and move on.  The only thing that's almost sure to come out of it is the ruination of his own career.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
wwaahhhh!   my pvssy hurts!

Tell you buddy to quit looking for the quick buck.  
View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#8]
My question is what has happened lately to make him bring up something that happened 9 years ago? The crap that happened in the Academy didn't stop him from having a job for this long. What kind of damages could he ask for?
I agree with the above. Do you want some cheese with that Whine?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
9 years to gather the courage to confront a superior officer over this? Yup thats a cop.
Doublefeed has a sore one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Water balloons? Damn his academy was tame. When I went, I can't remember a night when I came back into the four story barracks where we were housed, that there was not three or four officers throwing up over the rail of the upper patio at the end of each floor, and that was after they got back from touring every Stripper Bar in OKC.

This is what tends to happen, when you have twenty something kids who live in some hole in the wall little town, where everybody knows everything you do, go off to the police acadamy for two or three months in the big city. Away from the wife. Away from the little town. Away from the Chiefy Pooh.

I'm just shocked more of em don't wash out.

The Academy before mine they pulled a couple of recruits out of some rat bag motel down by the State Capitol with a SWAT Team because they had gotten drunk and taken some hooker hostage.

and they got you guys for throwing water balloons and singing Kumbya to loud?
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Of course who could forget the words...

If you will look to the west, you will see, that is a Tornado on the ground about a mile away, WE have a 70 mile an hour wind on the course and driving rain. BECAUSE OF THE INCLIMATE WEATHER CONDITIONS, WE WILL ADD 15 SECONDS TO YOUR SCORE TIME....START...

Ahh, you just gotta love those Oklahoma Highway Patrol Law Enforcement Driver Training Instructors.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
When I went through boot at Great lakes our sister company had a huge pillow fight with those feather pillows busting open ,they put that whole company out on the grinder for three hours in sub zero weather in their boxers ,you think any of them could sue?
Tell him to grow a set!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top