Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/25/2005 10:28:09 AM EDT
For those that can't get into the team forum...

Some of you may remember me posting about a good friend and fellow LEO that was shot and killed last march. This LINK tells the inital story. Well it seems the defense team was going to try and prove some mental retardation in order to keep the turd from having to sit on "Ole' Sparky"... This is where the story gets better, seems that shithead doesn't understand that when you're in jail and talking on the phone to a potential witness (another dirtbag who was there the night Kevin was killed), the odds are they are taping your conversation...

POETIC JUSTICE

PANAMA CITY, FL - A man accused of killing a local police officer may have botched his incompetency defense with a single phone call.

Twenty-two year-old Robert Bailey is charged with first degree murder for the shooting death of Sergeant Kevin Kight in March 2005.

Walter Smith, Bailey's attorney, says that he has been thoroughly examined by a neruo-psychologist and results show that he is mentally handicapped.

A copy of a jailhouse phone conversation between Bailey and a friend was released Thursday.

In the recording, Bailey says he knows he needs to play along with the incompetency defense in order to get a lesser sentence.

Here's an excerpt from that phone call, where Bailey is talking to one of the potential witnesses in the case, Jonathan Braz.

"(BAILEY:) 'He says if you're going to the nut house, you ain't gonna have to worry about it anyway. If they find you mildly retarded, then you ain't gonna have to worry about it anyway. They can't, they can't try, they can't try me... uh... if they find me mildly retarded or crazy.'

'(BRAZ:) Yeah, but the problem is that you will have to stay in the nut house for the rest of your life.'

'(BAILEY:) No, brother. That ain't, you ain't understanding. If you go to the nut house for five years, brother, if they, don't find you competent within five years, after five years, they find you legally, they legally find you not guilty by reason of insanity. Then you stay in the nut house, and if you ever get better after that, five years, they let you go home, boy.'

'(BAILEY:) Yeah , I ain't no rookie when it comes to this here, brother. (laughs) I'm playing all my little cards, brother, don't even trip, I'm trying to make s**t happen, man. You need to do something, too, brother, start talkin to walls.'"

The state attorney's office is seeking the death penalty, but according to Florida Statues, if anyone is mentally handicapped they cannot receive the death penalty.

State Attorney Steve Meadows is seeking a second opinion from a state doctor.

Bailey's trial is scheduled for the last week of January.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:59:01 AM EDT
May he rot in hell
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:25:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:20:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:
bye bye phucko!

Have a nice taxpayer funded vacation.

<­BR>

­
PS: Bring lube.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:35:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SgtKiwi:
...seems that shithead doesn't understand that when you're in jail and talking on the phone to a potential witness (another dirtbag who was there the night Kevin was killed), the odds are they are taping your conversation...

No reasonable expectation of privacy in the jail, dumbass.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:23:34 PM EDT
Just a simple question from a civilian....

Has scumbag's defence attorney committed a crime for willfully misrepresenting his client as having mental retardation?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:42:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SouthHoof:

Has scumbag's defence attorney committed a crime for willfully misrepresenting his client as having mental retardation?

Now THAT would be too cool.....two shitheads...ahh I mean birds...with one phuck up!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:16:21 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Attorneys seem to have some kind of unwritten code that allows them to lie their ass off without fear of prosecution for fraud. They simply claim that they were trying to provide their client with the best defense possible. An ethics complaint with the state bar will also get you nowhere. Lying is just how they do business. Misrepresentations and misinterpretation of statute is an attorney's bread and butter. The jury selection process is where they try and find people who they believe will either agree with them or be simple enough to be manuevered to agree with them. Fairness, honesty, facts, justice, ethics... all terms abondoned by attorneys long ago.

I don't seem bitter do I?

If there are any attorneys reading this and thinking about posting some reply about ethical requirements, blah blah blah,.. don't waste your time. I've spoken with many attorneys in two states and several jurisdictions that have all said the same thing in so many words, whatever it takes, win.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:56:31 AM EDT
Buh-Bye!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:02:12 AM EDT
what a shithead. Hope he burns in hell
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:50:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:43:20 PM EDT
The only deal he'll be getting will be choosing between regular or extra crispy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:30:37 PM EDT

No, but he can be reported to the BAR and be discipline or have his license revoked or susupended.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:02:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 3:06:09 AM EDT by GlockSlap]

"Unfortunately, Attorneys seem to have some kind of unwritten code that allows them to lie their ass off without fear of prosecution for fraud. They simply claim that they were trying to provide their client with the best defense possible..."

The only thing that can be counted on is just that. At least you know it in advance and can counter it with reality...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:17:04 AM EDT

If he continues to do so, very likely. Knowing what he knows after hearing that phone call, he probably has to tell the defendant that he can no longer pursue that defense strategy, or else excuse himself as the guy's counsel.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:25:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:29:56 PM EDT
I think they should make a new crime- misdemeanor Stupid In Public (Class B, 1st offense, Class A 2nd Offense, Felony Stupidity for 3rd)

Scumbag attorneys really piss me off, I think that if your client is convicted then the attorney should be sentenced also, for perjury.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:29:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leo6223:

No, but he can be reported to the BAR and be discipline or have his license revoked or susupended.

Nah, all he'll have to do is claim that HE is not a doctor qualified to determine someone's mental competence. C'mon, we're talking about lawyers here...
Top Top