Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 12:24:46 PM EDT
With all the major cop bashing threads in full swing, let's hear some personal experiences.

I used to live in a tiny town. I was riding a motorcycle on a permit only as I had no other transportation. A riding buddy with a license has to be within 100 feet to be legal. I got pulled over speeding once, and one of the officers would have a go at me any time he saw me riding alone. I got a few "out of class" tickets. My only other transpo at the time was a bicycle, and sometimes I didn't feel like pedaling all day.

While moving from NY to FL on my bike, I got pulled over in GA for doing 85 in a 65 (a bit lucky as I was slowing from doing ~110). The officer apparently thought my story sounded sketchy (going cross country alone on a sportbike). He looked real nervous, talked in a shaky and elevated voice, and covered his gun with a trembling hand. Having my hands in my pockets made it even worse (didn't think about it as it was cold morning and I was still half wet). Amazingly I got let go with a warning, but it was a needlessly intense stop.

While in Orlando I had to commute from Kissimmee to Orlando frequently and on a tight schedule. My youthful exuberance combined with a feeling of invulnerability meant I was often hauling ass inches from other vehicles. I found a back road that allowed some 120+mph riding with little traffic. I got stopped one day exiting this road. I was scared shitless, as I had passed a police car on the side of the road a few days prior and made no attempt to slow down. The cop paced around, took my ID, and stepped into his car. Several minutes passed until a backup car arrived. Now with a female officer, these two looked over my bike scrutinizing a few equipment violations and tallying them up. My wife happened to be driving by and pulls over across the street to observe. My heart just sinks at this point. I'm thinking loss of license, bike impounded, and angry wife. I figured I'd at least have a ride home. Profuse sweating begins. After what seems like an endless razzing, the male cop asks, "do you know why you were pulled over?" I told them that I had a good idea. "Slow it down," he says, "I just wanted to see what you were riding." I've never been so mad and relieved at the same time.

The last one was a more blatant disregard for the law. My motorcycle had just received a performance rebuild and did power wheelies with complete ease and control. On the weekend I'd take a shortcut through the empty mall on my way to work, lofting the front off every stop, setting it down at the next stop sign. My heart jumped into my throat as I came over a small rise and saw a police car in a depression beside the road. Nothing happened. It became a regular thing to do a wheelie in front of this police car...until it was in a different place. I thought nothing of it. A block or two down the road and there are two police cars in pursuit. I pulled off at the first parking lot. The two cars come to a screeching halt beside me and the occupants immediately start yelling as I shut off my bike and start taking off my helmet. "WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP" "WHY WERE YOU RUNNING" "DO YOU WANT TO GO TO JAIL?!" I told them calmly that I pulled off as soon as I saw the lights. They continued to threaten putting me in jail and claiming that I had ran from them, with me ignoring them and letting them do their thing. It was a hefty couple of tickets, but I kept my license and the bike didn't get towed.

I have never been drawn down on, even when being blatantly stupid, and always being armed. I usually end up better than expected under the circumstances. These days I still get the occasional ticket, but tend to move a lot slower, take much less risks, and keep the stunts to a minimum and in unpopulated, no traffic areas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You sound like you drive like a dick.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ride.

Certainly used to, yes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, I've been pulled over a couple times for no reason and had a rude trooper pull up on scene and tell me to GTFO after I stopped to check on people that had been in accident.  Other that every encounter has been due to my lead foot and most were professional and polite even then.  A couple times they were even down right friendly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ride.

Certainly used to, yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ride.

Certainly used to, yes.

Lol.

You still drive a motorcycle.  You make me laugh I can already guess the type of biker you are.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a state troop in NC tailgate me with highbeams after leaving a club (was sober). I turned a curve and barely missed a group of deer. The trooper clipped a deer, went off road and hit a tree. No seatbelt and then no teeth, thanks to mr steering wheel. I stopped to check on him and used his radio to call for help. Fucking douche tried to get the responding deputy to arrest me.

A few years later I witnessed an rollover accident while driving through Ohio. Called 911 on my cell and stopped to help. Ended up helping a couple troopers help keep the driver immoble. Got a fair amount of blood all over my shirt and arms for my trouble. Get back on the road and I'm speeding to the next exit so I can clean up. The same trooper I was helping and talking with at the accident gives me a speeding ticket.

But by far, the best dramatic cop encouter I ever had was driving the Natchez trace from Jackson to Natchez. Spilled a Dairy Queen blizzard in my lap and took off my tshirt to clean it up so I didn't have to stop. Not far from the halfway point (it's a 90 mile stretch of road with one rest stop at the halfway point) and a damn crow flies in my open window and explodes against my back truck window. I am COVERED in blood, gore and feathers. I stop at the rest stop and the nice folks camping got a bit nervous when they see me get out of my truck with no shirt on, covered in blood and there's a big red smear across the back window. I walked out of the rest room to find 2 cops waiting with guns drawn. Didn't take long to clear that up, but I damn near had to change clothes again from pissing myself.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol.

You still drive a motorcycle.  You make me laugh I can already guess the type of biker you are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ride.

Certainly used to, yes.

Lol.

Do you drive a bicycle, too?

It's simple proper use of the English language.

ETA: I don't consider myself a "biker." I'm the type of rider that's rode to work everyday for the past twelve years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Had a state troop in NC tailgate me with highbeams after leaving a club (was sober). I turned a curve and barely missed a group of deer. The trooper clipped a deer, went off road and hit a tree. No seatbelt and then no teeth, thanks to mr steering wheel. I stopped to check on him and used his radio to call for help. Fucking douche tried to get the responding deputy to arrest me.

A few years later I witnessed an rollover accident while driving through Ohio. Called 911 on my cell and stopped to help. Ended up helping a couple troopers help keep the driver immoble. Got a fair amount of blood all over my shirt and arms for my trouble. Get back on the road and I'm speeding to the next exit so I can clean up. The same trooper I was helping and talking with at the accident gives me a speeding ticket.

But by far, the best dramatic cop encouter I ever had was driving the Natchez trace from Jackson to Natchez. Spilled a Dairy Queen blizzard in my lap and took off my tshirt to clean it up so I didn't have to stop. Not far from the halfway point (it's a 90 mile stretch of road with one rest stop at the halfway point) and a damn crow flies in my open window and explodes against my back truck window. I am COVERED in blood, gore and feathers. I stop at the rest stop and the nice folks camping got a bit nervous when they see me get out of my truck with no shirt on, covered in blood and there's a big red smear across the back window. I walked out of the rest room to find 2 cops waiting with guns drawn. Didn't take long to clear that up, but I damn near had to change clothes again from pissing myself.
View Quote

Lol, sorry to laugh but that is some terrible luck. No good deed and all that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Hunting grouse in AK.  Sitting around waiting for legal shooting light drinking coffee on the tail gate of my truck.  Trooper pulls off, things start out pleasant enough.  Yes and no Sir's by both parties.  We chat about my dogs and what I am hunting, asks to see my hunting LC, no problem.  Then asks to see my guns.  I inquire why?  Says he needs to run the serial numbers per policy.  I tell him no.  Things escalate quickly, he finally threatens to arrest me, I told him "do it fucker".  He heads back to his car talks on the radio for 10 minutes and leaves.

Another time fishing in AK had my 45/70 leaning against my tackle box.  Wildlife trooper comes around checking fishing LC's.  No problem, checks LC and my fish as he is walking off I grab my gun and sling it over my back and start packing up my gear.  He absolutely flips his shit.  Starts screaming about how I could get shot grabbing a gun with a police officers back turned.  I shook my head and told him to calm down.  He starts flipping his shit more and I just walked away while he was still bitching.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I got stopped on my bike down the road from my house.  I live in a small town and recognized the officer as the Chief of Police.  He started by yelling at me for speeding and asking if I always ride (not drive) like that?  I told him no, but didn't elaborate that I was going a lot slower than I usually ride.  He yelled at me for a few minutes then let me go with a  verbal warning.

I rode off and was actually angry at the way he had treated me.  After a short time fuming about it, the truth of the situation hit me.  I live in a town where the Chief of Police has nothing better to do than make traffic stops for speeding and gets angry when you speed in his town.

That is exactly why I moved to that town!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I forgot about my arrest at the age of 15. It was well known that the police chief's son had been going out with a BB gun and blasting out people's windows for fun. I happened to be at a creek nearby shooting at rocks and such with my Crosman 1377. I believe a neighbor called the police on me, as I had knocked several black birds out of his tree, and he was pissed because his cat would put them on his doorstep. It was the day before my birthday, and I got charged with possession of an illegal weapon (have to be 16 to own a BB/Pellet gun). I was interrogated and was apparently expected to confess to all the BB gun vandalism in the area. I told them right off that I was sure they new who was really doing it, as word had spread all over town. I believe they were looking for a scapegoat. Well, things didn't go well and I got charged as an adult for the illegal possession and had four months probation. That went well as my dad and the probation officer spent the time talking about spear fishing and diving. The cop that arrested me was a huge Mfer...the biggest police officer I have seen to date. I willingly gave myself up as I felt I had done nothing wrong. I could have easily ran. I still feel I may have made the wrong decision by approaching him. I never did get that pellet gun back despite hassling my parents about it incessantly. Apparently they were getting nowhere themselves. Much like today, all my spare cash went to guns/ammo, and it was a major loss then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top