Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 3:08:19 PM EDT
Personally I think the coolest thing I got any one was for my fiancé' .
She is in DAR and I happened to come across a copy of the Declaration of Independence and a copy of the Constitution when I was in Anchorage last time .
I bought those for her and she seemed very happy with them . She even agreed that these documents where very important and that they we can use them to help show our children our history and the significance of these documents as they get older .

What about you?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I helped pay for this gift, but only about a 3rd of it.

My uncle is a big fan of Jack Daniels.  My grandparents, Me, and my Aunt got together, and got him an entire barrell of JD Single Barrell.  240 Bottles worth.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

My uncle is a big fan of Jack Daniels.  My grandparents, Me, and my Aunt got together, and got him an entire barrell of JD Single Barrell.  240 Bottles worth.

Woah, how much was that?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Holy Mother of all that is Alcoholic, how much did that bad boy run?

Oh, I got my GF tickets to the Indianapolis Symphony's next two shows! But that will DEFINITELY bring bonus points with her(the band geek that she is)!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought my daughter a beach cruiser bike that is almost exactly like mine.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the end cost was around $9,000.

They vary in cost though, according to the order form.  The one we got him came in at exactly 240 bottles.

I still go over to his place and raid the whiskey stash every now and then

www.jdsinglebarrel.com/orderform.asp
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
A basket of beer for my best friend. Twelve different pints of good beer ranging from $4 a bottle up to $15. Along with the shooters of scotch, Glenfiddich 12, 15 and 18 year. It was a really cool looking basket, and he LOVES beer, so it was ideal.

Gave the wife a turntable, which she'd been wanting for like 5 years, so that was cool too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Coolest thing was not a christmas present, My fathers birthday, bought him a 1994 Honda Goldwing in 1998'. Ya he was that good of a DAD.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
For my brother's 22nd birthday I bought him mint condition used Smith and Wesson Model 19 with the snubby barrel.  It cost me $165, but he carries it almost daily even now, eight years later.  It's his favorite sidearm.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I got one of my friends a Kershaw Leek to replace the one he lost recently, he really liked that knife and has been bummed out about losing it ever since. I got another friend a 1.75 liter bottle of Makers Mark.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought my FIL a rifle-sighted 20inch barrel 870.
Should have kept it...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Dom Perignon "96 for my boss. He finally saw the light last January and started paying me what I was worth.  If it goes around, it comes around.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Fenton Glass baskeet for my mom.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Breakfast this morning at Denny's.  Left the waitress/cooks a 200%+ tip.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got one of my friends a Kershaw Leek to replace the one he lost recently, he really liked that knife and has been bummed out about losing it ever since. I got another friend a 1.75 liter bottle of Makers Mark.

Fuck me thats scary shit. My mother bought me a leek to replace the one I lost, and my boss got me a 1.75 of Makers Mark. NO BULLSHIT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#16]
When my brother got married and moved out of our parents house, he left all of the keepsakes he had collected since he was little.  When I moved out, I ended up with all his stuff.  I told him that I would keep it for him and he should let me know when he wanted this stuff.

23 years later...I decided that he should have his momentos.  I wrapped every single piece and attached funny notes to each piece.  I put them all in a big box and and wrapped that too.

It took him about 45 minutes to read each note and open each package.  The entire family laughed the whole time.  This took place a couple years ago, and we still talk about it today.

It was fun to watch him see stuff that he hadn't seen in years like an autographed picture of Ron Santo, or awards he received in Cub Scouts.  His boys got a kick of seeing their dad's old stuff too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a biddy of mine an Arktis Halo3 sleeping bad this year for Xmas in desert tan. He needed a cool to warm sleeping bag and this one fits the bill pretty well and it packed with features but only weighs about 1.5lbs.

He was almost as happy with it as I was when he told me that I have a Kifaru chair coming in the mail!

Dave
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought my brother a bottle of Johnny Walker 18.

We play a game each christmas of exchanging cheap liquor, and doing doing blind taste tests.

" I think that is a vintage September '05 MD 20/20"  etc...etc...

Well, this year's gift to my brother was a fifth of Johnny Walker 18.

To see the lookm on his face.... priceless.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#19]
My father was a Marine in Nam and received a purple heart and a few other metals.  My grandmother had the metals in her attic for years.  They were'nt kept in the best shape.  So I had the metals cleaned and shined and then had them put into a shadow box with my fathers name rank and number.  My old man is not a sensitive guy but he cried when I gave him the gift.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ever since I took the tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery, I have wanted to get a whole barrel.  Forget bottling it; I'd tell them to just stick a spigot in it and ship that bad boy!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I gave my grandmother $100, buying my friend a meal.

Thats what I would want.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I was going to buy a good friend who helped me out alot a Desert Eagle he had been wanting, but he pissed me off.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They vary in cost though, according to the order form.  The one we got him came in at exactly 240 bottles.

They send you the entire barrel or just the bottles that came from one particular barrel? Maybe pack them in the barrel itself?

Seems it would be kinda awkward to ship/store that barrel. Not to mention keep it fresh. Course just running a tap and a tube into it would take care of the bottling problem.

I bet here in NC there would be all kinds of tax stamp problems and permits to get that.

Still, good show!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Two years ago, My Brother, My Sister and I pitched in and bought my Dad a nib Ruger MKII. It may not sound too extraordinary, but there is a story behind it.

My Dad bought a Ruger MKI new in 1977. He shot it, taught my Mom to shoot it, and taught me to shoot it when I was 7. He had a great job at a Brickyard when I was small, and when I was 4 or 5 he got laid off. My Dad sacked up, did what he had to do to support his family, and got a job working construction. He was away most of the time, which wasnt too easy on my Mom, Brother and I, but we made it thru. He ended up getting laid off in the winter, and not getting called back to work. The family ended up moving into a lower-rent area, my Mom worked as a seamstress at a dry cleaner, and my Dad worked different places in the area off and on. My Mom had an Oldsmobile Cutlass, and the engine blew up. It was right after thanksgiving, and they didnt have money to buy an engine for it, let alone another car. A friend of my Dad's is a big gearhead, and has an enormous collection of junked cars and trucks on his property. He didnt want the little money my Mom and Dad had for an engine, so Dad offered him the Ruger for it in a trade. They made the deal, and Dad was pretty upset about losing his first newly-purchased firearm. 20 years after the trade, we decided that for all the help he's given us, for all he had done for our family when we were small, he deserved it. So, I tried tracking down the MKI he bought, in hopes of buying it back. The son of my Dad's gearhead buddy has it now. I went to his house once to try to buy it back, and it was beat to hell. I had wanted to purchase it and return it to him, even if it needed refinishing. But there was no hope. The barrel and reciever were badly pitted, and it looked like it was dragged behind a truck. So, we bought him a new one. Its not exactly the same as the MKI, but he really enjoys it.
There were tears in his eyes when he opened the box.
It was a good feeling, and still talked about to this day.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They send you the entire barrel or just the bottles that came from one particular barrel? Maybe pack them in the barrel itself?

Seems it would be kinda awkward to ship/store that barrel. Not to mention keep it fresh. Course just running a tap and a tube into it would take care of the bottling problem.

I bet here in NC there would be all kinds of tax stamp problems and permits to get that.

Still, good show!

You get both the bottled whiskey and the barrel.  You make arrangements with your local liquor store to have it shipped through them (much like using an FFL to ship a firearm.)  I believe you can even choose to have the barrel varnished.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Rossi .357 for the wife.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Mom is a huge John Wayne fan  she wanted a john wayne gun for years  but would never part with the $$
I lucked into a John Wayne SAA and a JW Winchester for a decent price and gave them both to her last X mas
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, good show!

You get both the bottled whiskey and the barrel.  You make arrangements with your local liquor store to have it shipped through them (much like using an FFL to ship a firearm.)  I believe you can even choose to have the barrel varnished.

Yep, you are right.

We did have the barrell varnished, and it came in the bottles.

The bottles are the same bottles that you would get if you were to just buy a single bottle at the liquor store, just that all the bottles are from the same barrell.

Going over to his house for new years, going to raid the whiskey stash while I am there
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Randall #1 for dad ordered 3 1/2 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I got my wife an AR. It's purple.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#32]
i made this cedar roll top toy box for my grand kids first christmas. finished at 12;20 am xmas morning .

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#33]
It is not what I got someone It is what someone gave me.
A buddy came over yesterday morning with a extra deer. He knew I have not had time to hunt this year and after hanging the deer he reached into his car and pulled out a PSE viper bow handed it to me telling me it needs new sights but Merry Christmas.
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My father was a Marine in Nam and received a purple heart and a few other metals.  My grandmother had the metals in her attic for years.  They were'nt kept in the best shape.  So I had the metals cleaned and shined and then had them put into a shadow box with my fathers name rank and number.  My old man is not a sensitive guy but he cried when I gave him the gift.

Thats up there for really cool gifts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought my wife a "Diamond" package at the Red Door Spa, a full-day of pampering just for her.  

Ed
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

So are you guys going in on a membership to Alcoholics Anonymous?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, good show!

Yep, you are right.

The bottles are the same bottles that you would get if you were to just buy a single bottle at the liquor store, just that all the bottles are from the same barrell.

Going over to his house for new years, going to raid the whiskey stash while I am there

The next time you do something like this, get in contact with me...I have a few connections

Anyway this act of a great dead and preservation of "early American Art, Tennessee Type" deserves a membership in the Tennessee Squires...........Check your IM

Are you going out to Lynchburg to pick up the barrel???
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, good show!

Yep, you are right.

The next time you do something like this, get in contact with me...I have a few connections

Anyway this act of a great dead and preservation of "early American Art, Tennessee Type" deserves a membership in the Tennessee Squires...........Check your IM

Are you going out to Lynchburg to pick up the barrel???

We allready got the barrell.  We got it last year, but we had everything delivered.  Kind of a long drive to Lynchburg
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

We allready got the barrell.  We got it last year, but we had everything delivered.  Kind of a long drive to Lynchburg

The Sales rep should have brought you out there for the hoopla.....or he could have done a couple of other things ..........next time get in contact with me
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how do you get the precious liquid out of the barrel and into your glass?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I have an aunt who I am very close to. Last year I gave her a Christmas gift that was very inexpensive, but it was something that no one else would ever buy her throughout her childhood.

My aunt had her first firearms experience in girls scouts. After that she aked my grandparents for a bb gun. They gave her the old "you'll shoot your eye out". She continued to have an interest in shooting sports as she grew up. When she was in high school, she was on the rifle team. My grandparents had bought her a very nice .22, I'm not sure what kind, that she used to successfully win many competitions and trophies, she continued shooting through college. After college she went on to get her master's in health and kineaseaology, and taught a shooting course during her studies. She was once invited to Ft Bragg to instruct new recruits on the firing range. Before doinf so she had to qualify on the M16. She did so with little effort. She has since gone on to get her doctorate and is now a professor at UVA.

Last year I was stumped as to what to get her for Christmas. I had a memory of Christmas 20 years ago at age 9 where I received a daisy red ryder. My aunt taught me to shoot it in my grandparents back yard. I remember her admiring the little lever action rifle and telling me how she had asked for one many times a child only to be told she would hurt herself. I was in a walmart when I saw the daisy red ryder being sold again just before Christmas. I thought it would be a nice novelty for her, so I bought one for a whopping $23. I figured I 'd give her the usuaul gift certificates to the golf course along with the red ryder. I had no idea how big of a deal it was going to be. She opened the little box with the golf course gift cards and smiled and thanked me. After all of the presents had been opened, I pulled off a reinactment of "A Christmas Story" and asked her "what was that behind the desk over there?" She pulled the flat box from behind the desk and noticed that it did not have a tag. She asked me if I knew who it was for, and I told her that I was positive it was for her. She slowly opened one corner and in a flash of recognition as to what was under the wrapping paper she tore into it with childhood excitement. She was touched and thrilled at the same time. My grandmother laughed and asked her who got it for her. I claimed that Santa must have brought it.

Later in the afternoon as my aunt and I were punching holes in an empty coke can, she paused before squezzing the trigger to hug me and say thank you one more time,  it was then obvious to me that this was a much bigger gift than I perceived it to be.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Got the old man a Ruger M77 MkII Varmint in .204  Had to top it with a Luepold 6-18X scope as well.  

He liked the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Gave one of these to a Buddy of mine..........YES, He's a great guy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top