Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 12:47:00 AM EDT
2007 Ford Fusion 2.3L I4.  115,000mi.

After driving for a while, when coming to a stop, I get a distinct whiff of coolant coming through my vents.  Not overpowering, but definitely there.

No obvious symptoms of heater core failure: heat works, defrost works, no dripping coolant in footwell, etc.

No obvious signs of leaks in firewall coolant connections.

Slight smell of coolant in engine bay.

No obvious consumption of coolant--level is very near full line (but I will monitor more closeely).

What should I do for a deeper dive?  Test coolant bottle for combustion gasses? Flourescent dye + blacklight?

Drop in a can of stopleak and pray?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Pour some black pepper in your radiator. I swear it works better than Stops Leak.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Pressure test cooling system
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Turn your vent to recirculation not outside air and see if you can still detect it. You may be smelling the reservoir vapor. through the vent.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Just because your heater works, doesn't mean you don't have a heater core leak.  Pressure test the coolant system.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just because your heater works, doesn't mean you don't have a heater core leak.  Pressure test the coolant system.
View Quote

This.  

Ive also had minor leaks under hood produce a coolant smell.   Just fixed a Mercedes for a family friend that had a coolant smell.   Dealership diagnosed as a faulty heater core.   3k to fix.   Turns out it was just the water pump seeping onto the belt,  slinging coolant everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. Check your heater inlet/outlet hoses. They tend to develop tears/cracks at the ends past the retaining clip.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at the ac drain . A lot of times a heater core will drip out of the ac drain and not into the floor
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pour some black pepper in your radiator. I swear it works better than Stops Leak.
View Quote

Please stop giving advice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to create a bigger issue, put shit in your radiator. Barsleak or what ever else will work, MAYBE, but I grantee it will give you bigger issues down the road. The only time I would EVER use "mechanic in a bottle" is if you are just trying to limp a car along untill you can buy a new one in a few months.
If the coolant smell is coming through the air vents I would say it could be a heater core/ connection at heater core issue. Pressure test the system and leave pressure on it for a while, it really doenst take much of a leak for someone whos paying attention to smell it. Also you may not get coolant on the floor boards, most modern cars have a heater box drain to the outside, if you see any coolant residue on that drain, youll find more in the box. However I will say pay attention to ALL coolant lines and even the radiator for leaks. I have seen trucks at work with coolant leaks on radiator hoses and drivers tell me its a heater core, also I know for a fact that my personal pickup has a coolant leak at the radiator fill neck, and I smell coolant in the cab quite often.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny though, we (another pilot and I) had to do that one night to our old, beat-up Company station wagon.  It was our regular nightly mode of transportation from the airport to our apartment and back.  It had a radiator leak one night and, of course, no place was open.  In a pinch, the other guy, who owned/built race cars, put some pepper in to get us through until morning.  It held for at least a year, and probably longer after I left the company.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's funny though, we (another pilot and I) had to do that one night to our old, beat-up Company station wagon.  It was our regular nightly mode of transportation from the airport to our apartment and back.  It had a radiator leak one night and, of course, no place was open.  In a pinch, the other guy, who owned/built race cars, put some pepper in to get us through until morning.  It held for at least a year, and probably longer after I left the company.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GM added stop leak from the factory to its V-8 Northstar engine to prevent seepage through porous engine blocks.   It was crushed  ginger root pellets.   FYI...   Bars Leak sells a very similar product that works really well for minor leaks,  without clogging up heater cores.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top