Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 11:27:17 AM EDT
The "how gay are you if you can cook" thread reminded me of something I meant to post a few days ago.

I started a new topic because, frankly, most my posts get over looked.

A couple of days ago I did an install on Bragg.  The guy, (call him Joe), told me he had just got back from Ranger School. I didn't doubt him; His neck was wider than his head...he wasn't a braggart and he was well mannered....traits I see as common in military that are true soldiers and not just in it to draw a check...(that's another story)

Anyway, as I was finishing the Satellite install, we discussed programming.  It came up that he liked the Food Network because he was a Chef.   I was surprised as hell!
?A Ranger Chef?

Is this common, or an anomoly?   I suppose Rangers have to eat too...  

-HS

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#1]
err, to keep you from feeling ignored...

1.  IIRC the Ranger Batts have support platoons with mechanics and whatnot, but it's not like they go out and set up a field kitchen and make hamburgers.  I think it's typically either field rats of some sort when they're out killing badguys or they eat in the local chow hall when back at base.

2.  Ranger School was recently re-opened up to all male combat service support troops (like cooks), so they can put in a request for Ranger School no matter what unit they're actually assigned to.

Then again, he could be an infantryman who just happens to be a chef as a hobby, and likes food-tv.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong on either count.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Army Ranger-Cook

"Death From Within"
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks bro.....

-HS
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

1.  IIRC the Ranger Batts have support platoons with mechanics and whatnot, but it's not like they go out and set up a field kitchen and make hamburgers.  I think it's typically either field rats of some sort when they're out killing badguys or they eat in the local chow hall when back at base.

2.  Ranger School was recently re-opened up to all male combat service support troops (like cooks), so they can put in a request for Ranger School no matter what unit they're actually assigned to.

Then again, he could be an infantryman who just happens to be a chef as a hobby, and likes food-tv.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong on either count.

Anyone who passess RIP, and does their time in 75th eventually gets a slot for school.  As long as the MOS is on the batallions's MTOE, the guy can get his tab.  I have seen tons of em when I was in: Ranger cooks, toolheads, paper-pushers, intel-geeks, and commo guys.  They all get qualified.  Hell, in my last unit (1/10SFG) my buddy was  a ranger cook (tabbed).  He just got back form the initial assault into Bagram.  He was the DACO on the jump, so he didnt get his star, but got his combat scroll

To those guys, Ranger is a way of life.  Doesnt matter what your MOS is, they all fight the same, they are all Rangers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The "how gay are you if you can cook" thread ....

I guess the height of their "cooking" abilities would be "Lessee.. microwave.. two minutes.. start. Niiiiiiice." and they're playing the gay card to pull attention away from their inadequacies.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Army Ranger-Cook

"Death From Within"

There's a T-shirt with a skull, crossed knife and fork and a mess kit on it.

I've wanted one for years. Laughed myself silly when I first saw it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Cook= anyone who is dumb enough to sign into open general field, like me 99% on the tests and I was flippin omletts on the line. Always got free beers at the club for a job well done though! Not knocking it, just not for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Not too sure about Ranger cooks but...

After several months in the field as 11B in Vietnam I was rewarded? with a strap job as a field cook.  We were on forward LZs, we usually had one or two school trained cooks, and we made hot meals for all the troops on the LZ.  We also supported 5 companies in the field and sent one hot meal each day to one or two of the line companies.

We had one 40 watt electric bulb, no refrigeration, gasoline cook stoves that also powered our grill and ovens.  Talk about hot!  The grunts in the field had 8 rations every three days, 3 Cs and 5 LURPS, and our hot meal.  Three days later, another hot meal.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
All personel in Ranger battalion have gone through the Ranger Indoctrination Program. The cooks, medics, intel, supply etc.  Then after a while in battalion they get to go through Ranger school. In fact one of our cooks won some PT contest we had. And our chaplain was a freakin PT stud.  Battalions are pretty much self sufficient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top