Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2005 7:55:59 PM EDT
Why does everyone on Food network use olive oil in every dish?

And what is the difference or reason to use extra virgin olive oil?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Because some people like to say EVOO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
crazyquik: Olive oil is treated like a condiment, like salt & pepper, it gives whatever you're cooking a unique flavor.  But you only use a little.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Olive oil rules. Could have something to do about me being Italian, but still it rules.

It has a nice flavor that blends well with a lot of dishes, it is healthy to use liberally. The Extra Virgin oil usually has a more "old world" flavor to it. That is not always desired, but in a heavy dish with bold flavors...definitely.

Be careful about heat though. If you are pan frying, you can't crank the heat up as high as other veg oils because you will denature the oil and destroy the dish. You can tell the heat is up too high when you see a light mist coming off the surface...smoke will follow... so run a slightly lower heat using olive oil.

Olive oil will go bad when left in sunlight too long, so don't use a glass bottle and put it in the window...it will go bad. I like the metal cans that say some crazy Italian crap on them. They block the light out and they look totally mobster kitchen.

Buona Fortuna, eh......

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It has flavor, unlike most other oils. If you cook Italian food it's essential for proper taste.

Don't use it for high heat applications however, it has a low smoke point.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Every time I use it, do I have to say

"E.V.O.O. that's extra virgin olive oil"

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Rachel Ray.

EEE-VEE-OOH-OOH.

'nuff said.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer to use olive oil depending on what I'm cooking.  It has a good flavor and it's better for you.  Don't use it for high temp frying, though.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
It has something to do with it containing unsaturated vs. saturated fats (or vice versa). Your body processes it instead of keeps it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok we need a movie quiz here....

"Olio de olive.......solo en Sicily!"

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
WHENEVER I  HEAR THAT BITCH SAY EVOO I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD SHOVE THE BOTTLE DOWN HER THROAT AND SMASH IT WITH A ROCK!

Pretentious stupid little bitch.    She's so cute and adorable that she should strap a suicide bomber jacket on herself and blow herself up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It has something to do with it containing unsaturated vs. saturated fats (or vice versa). Your body processes it instead of keeps it.

Poly-unsaturated fats abound in it IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
WHENEVER I  HEAR THAT BITCH SAY EVOO I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD SHOVE THE BOTTLE DOWN HER THROAT AND SMASH IT WITH A ROCK!

Pretentious stupid little bitch.    She's so cute and adorable that she should strap a suicide bomber jacket on herself and blow herself up.

You wanna tell us how you really feel?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#15]
What you want me to continue?    Maybe if I give it more than 5 seconds thought I could really expand upon how much I hate that woman.

Cutesie wootsie counts for zilch with me.    Nuke it from orbit Starship Troopers style.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What you want me to continue?    Maybe if I give it more than 5 seconds thought I could really expand upon how much I hate that woman.

Cutesie wootsie counts for zilch with me.    Nuke it from orbit Starship Troopers style.

That was Aliens, dude.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That was Aliens, dude.

Okay, fine.    Put her in a pin with one of the soldier bugs from Starship Troopers and giggle and laugh yourself till you wet yourself when you wonder if the bug is thinking to itself, "You know, this bitch would really go great with some EVOO."

Couldn't remember for the life of me where the nuke it from orbit quote came from.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I use Olive oil in everything, I dunno why my grandparents used it with everything, and well now I do too! That is why you should use it - tradition and people back in the day knew how to cook, I don't question it and neither should you!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was Aliens, dude.

Okay, fine.    Put her in a pin with one of the soldier bugs from Starship Troopers and giggle and laugh yourself till you wet yourself when you wonder if the bug is thinking to itself, "You know, this bitch would really go great with some EVOO."

Couldn't remember for the life of me where the nuke it from orbit quote came from.

Aliens.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Much better for you than other oils.
I think it improves the taste of most dishes.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I use olive oil for browning meat for vegatable soup. It gives a richer flavor. On another note it is much healthier then the poly unsat crap. that is sold as vegatable oil, no trans fats etc. that they have found to be bad for you after pushing on us for 50 years. The rest of the time I use bacon grease or lard. And no my colesterole level was 138 at a resent check. Olive oil is used in middle eastern cooking  due to being non animal (culture based ) kind of like using bacon grease for real southern cornbread. I cook a lot and friends and family really like my cooking and tell me it tastes like Mom or Grandma used to make. I think a big part of this is the Oil used, and before those of you who listen to the Doc's who say thats very bad for you. I ask you are your numbers (LDL/HDL) better? I have made an effort to move back to the basics and away from the processed foods that most of us eat. My Grandmother cooked the same way and she lived to be 95, could not stand the taste of a micky D burger, grew and vegatables from the garden, used lard or bacon grease for her eggs every morning. Oh and she brank 2 cases of beer a week (much of it homebrewed). I have made the move away from processed foods.
Ok enough of my rant about foods and life.
Olive oil is a must for Italian foods as that is what the time and work of past cooks have found to be the best flavor. Any other foods it is up to you as to what tastes best.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Two words:  Seek counseling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd hit it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I love you for saying that.

I fucking loathe Rachael Ray with every fiber of my being.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I use olive oil for everything.  deepfrying, baking, whatever.  I have cheap stuff for bulk use, and I try and keep several different brands on hand.  There are different flavors of olive oil, some fruity, some spicy, but generally the flavorless crap is what gets sent here because no one knows what good oliveoil is supposed to  taste like.  I drink a tablespoon or two from time to time as well.  

I figger if the Spanish, Frogs, and Italians can all eat as rich a diet as they do, have a population of 50% smokers or more, and still have a longer lifespan than us, they must be doing something right.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#26]
at the turn this thread has taken.  True Arfcom style!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was Aliens, dude.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmmm don't look that bad to me. I don't watc her though.

BOTD rules have been updated, and are tacked at the top of this forum.  -Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Extra Virgin is preferred for making things such as salad dressings, light sauces, etc. For sauteeing, regular olive oil will do just fine. Some say the extra virgin has a brighter flavor.

From whatscookingamerica.net/OliveOil.htm

Types of Olive Oil

Olive oil is made only from green olives. Nearly the entire production of green olives in Italy is converted into olive oil. Flavor, color, and consistency vary, like fine wines, due to different olive varieties, location, and weather. The olive oils of some small producers are treated and priced like fine vintage wines.

Extra-Virgin Olive Oil:
Any olive oil that is less than 1% acidity, produced by the first pressing of the olive fruit through the col pressing process. Most olive oils today are extra virgin in name only, meeting only the minimum requirement. Extra virgin is a chemical requirement that does not indicate quality and taste.

Virgin Olive Oil:
It is made from olives that are slightly riper than those used for extra-virgin oil and is produced in exactly the same manner. It is essentially defective Extra Virgin oil. This oil has a slightly higher level of acidity (1 1/2).

Refined Olive Oil:  Olive oil known as "Refined Oil" is obtained from refining virgin olive oil that has defects (the result is an essentially tasteless olive oil). Among the defects are a natural acidity higher than 3.3%, poor flavor, and an unpleasant odor. This product is also known as "A" refined olive oil.

Pure Olive Oil:
Pure olive oil, often simply called olive oil, comes either from the second cold pressing or the chemical extraction of the olive mash left over after the first pressing. Also called commercial grade oil. It is lighter in color and blander than virgin olive oil. It is more general-purpose olive oil. Pure refers to the fact that no non-olive oils are mixed in.

Refined Olive-Pomace Oil:  Oil which is obtained by treating olive pomace with solvents is refined using methods which do not lead to alterations in the initial glyceridic structure. Don't buy this grade, as it is bad for you.

Olive-Pomace Oil: Olive oil which consists of a blend of refined olive-pomace oil and virgin olive oil. Don't buy this grade, as it is bad for you.

Light & Extra Light" Olive Oil:  The olive oil that you see on the supermarket shelf advertised as "light" or as "Extra Light" olive oil contains the exact same number of calories as regular olive oil and is a mixture of refined olive oils that are derived from the lowest quality olive oils available through chemical processing. These oils are so bad that cannot be consumed by humans without refining.

Simply put, as a consumer, if you buy only Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, you've got all your bases covered. Find one whose taste you like, and stick with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont even own any.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There are different flavors of olive oil, some fruity, some spicy, but generally the flavorless crap is what gets sent here because no one knows what good oliveoil is supposed to  taste like.

www.holiveoil.com/

So much flavor, nutty and lemony taste, but nothing's added.  Expensive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok So The oil itself is covered but here is a freebie .

Get your can .
Get a few sprigs of rosemary and chop them .
Get some fresh Oregno and chop it up .
Get some fresh basil and give it a nice chifnod . ( I recomend Thia basil .)

Put all your oil in a pot .
Put your chopped herbs in the oil .
SIMMER .DON'T BURN THE OIL .Just let it simmer for a an hour or so .
Take it off the heat and let it sit until it is cool to the touch .
Filter the herbs out of the oil and press the herbs to get the rest of the oil out .
Re can the oil .
Use that instead .

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love you for saying that.

I fucking loathe Rachael Ray with every fiber of my being.

I noticed she is not popular with the women of ar15.com.

Hmm... there must be more to it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Much better for you than other oils.
I think it improves the taste of most dishes.

Not pancakes. Ask my wife.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Get your can .

Filter the herbs out of the oil and press the herbs to get the rest of the oil out .
Re can the oil .
Use that instead .

Yumm.  

Snarfbatt +1 on browning stew meat and roasts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Why does everyone on Food network use olive oil in every dish?

Because it tastes DIVINE.

And what is the difference or reason to use extra virgin olive oil?

Taste.

Health.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, aside from tasting absolutely wonderful, is also extremely healthy. It lowers your bad cholesterol and raises your good cholesterol. It has numerous antioxidant properties, etc. It is probably the healthiest source of fat on earth.

When it comes to taste, few things have the rich taste of EVOO. It adds rich flavor to almost anything you use it with.

The only drawback of EVOO is that it has a low smoke point, so if you are cooking high temperature stuff (at or above 400 degrees) use something else.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
crazyquik: Olive oil is treated like a condiment, like salt & pepper, it gives whatever you're cooking a unique flavor.  But you only use a little.

I use a lot of it personally, because I love the taste.

My favorite way to dress a salad is to drizzle a good bit of EVOO over it and then do the same with a little good Balsamic vinegar.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:56:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Uhh....

Did she insult your mama or something???
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:57:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I use Olive oil in everything, I dunno why my grandparents used it with everything, and well now I do too! That is why you should use it - tradition and people back in the day knew how to cook, I don't question it and neither should you!

And it is part of the reason your grandparents probably lived long and healthy lives.

The extra virgin stuff is GREAT for the heart.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I use olive oil for everything.  deepfrying, baking, whatever.  I have cheap stuff for bulk use, and I try and keep several different brands on hand.  There are different flavors of olive oil, some fruity, some spicy, but generally the flavorless crap is what gets sent here because no one knows what good oliveoil is supposed to  taste like.  I drink a tablespoon or two from time to time as well.

That is my one true lament. Once you have had a taste of really good estate olive oil from Italy that is fresh pressed, you can't go back.

Actually Wal-Mart used to carry a brand of Greek extra virgin oil a while back that was AWESOME, but they discontinued it like they do EVERY DAMN THING I LIKE.

I figger if the Spanish, Frogs, and Italians can all eat as rich a diet as they do, have a population of 50% smokers or more, and still have a longer lifespan than us, they must be doing something right.  

Indeed. The two main reasons for that are extra virgin olive oil and red wine. The two best things you can consume for the health of your heart.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm no cook, but I have a small bottle of olive oil for when I need it.

Oddly enough, I used it a few weeks ago when I found my favorite leather gloves (which had been stuffed in a shed for 8+ years). They were very dry.

So....... I started massaging olive oil into them to bring them back. Took me about an hour, and the leather soaked it up like a sponge. They're like-new now.

This alternate use for Olive Oil brought to you by Zaphod.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:01:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Get your can .

Re can the oil .
Use that instead .

mmmm......flavored oil......Homer like on bread with fresh tomato!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Not pancakes. Ask my wife.

I wouldn't use EVOO on pancakes straight, but they do have several butter substitutes and sprays (Smart Balance, for instance) that use extra virgin olive oil as a base ingredient, along with palm oil and some other things. Those work pretty good most of the time.

Usually on something like pancakes I just use real butter. One can afford to do so when they are consuming lots of extra virgin oil.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:23:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I never did see what Popeye saw in her.......
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I just hate overly bubbly people who go around in life smiling their damned fool heads off.

I used to have to work with somebody like that who went around trying to cheer everybody up as if it were her purpose in life.    The very same people who just can't shut the hell up and leave well enough alone.   You'd think they'd clue in when several of their questions go unanswered because you are either busy or just not in the mood to talk to their stupid ass.

Usually, guys know when other guys don't want to fucking talk.    They give eachother space.    Lots of women seem to clue in on that too.     But every now and then you get this little priss that just doesn't have an ounce of common sense in her head and keeps poking the bear.

Worse is when the little goody two shoes crowd polishes off this time tested infurating saying, "Smile, god loves you."     Who the hell are you to say that?   How do you know?    Maybe my god doesn't like your god and it's an insult that you are inferring that your god loves me.    I sure as shit don't need you coming along to say that as if somehow my day is going to get better thinking, "Gee, my non-religous ass is just so over gratified to hear that god loves me."

I am an introvert and do not like to be around overly extroverted people who overly concern themselves with trying to make sure everyone has a good time.      That's part of the reason I absolutely hate Rachael Raye and wish she would spontaneously combust, she just seems like one of those people that I absolutely positively can't stand.     Whether it's an act or not, her show is fucking annoying.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Everything's better with Olive Oil

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#47]
This rachel ray?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:40:26 AM EDT
[#48]
If you like fresh baked bread like I do try this:

Pour some olive oil onto a plate. Sprinkle a little garlic salt and finely chopped parsely into the oil.
Some people also add finely grated mozzarella cheese. Either way is good.
Then dip the bread into the mixture and eat. IMO there is no better way to eat fresh bread!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Same here.....pretty much every dish I cook has Olive oil in it....and I nearly exclusively cook in cast iron.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Rachael Ray is SUCH A CUTIE!!!

Rachael Domenica Ray was born on August 25, 1968, in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Her parents owned and operated a chain of family restaurants. Rachael's parents divorced when she was 13, and her mother took a job as a food supervisor in upstate New York. Rachael attended high school in Lake George, New York, a small town in the Adirondack Mountains, where she was a cheerleader and worked part-time as a waitress for her mother. Before graduating in 1986, Rachael was already an entrepreneur, running her own gift basket service on the side.

In 1993, after graduating from college, Rachael returned to Lake George and rented a cabin. However, she moved to New York City two years later due to a lack of opportunities back home. She got a job at the Macy's Marketplace candy counter, and was soon promoted to manager of the Fresh Foods department. She was able to learn a lot about gourmet foods, and she used that knowledge to help open and manage Agata & Valentina, a prestigious New York gourmet marketplace. But following bad personal experiences in the city, including a breakup and a mugging, Rachael moved back to Lake George in 1997.

rachael ray publishes her first cookbook

Rachael landed a job as a buyer and cook at Cowan & Lobel in nearby Albany, New York. As a holiday promotion, she started to teach a class on how to prepare meals in half an hour. They were such a hit that the local media ran a story on her, and the following week, Albany's CBS affiliate approached Rachael about doing a weekly segment for the evening news called "30-Minute Meals." In its first year, the show was nominated for two regional Emmys, and in 1998, Rachael published a cookbook, which sold 10,000 copies locally. Meanwhile, Rachael continued to cook on local TV and radio shows.

In 2001, Rachael suddenly got national attention from two sources. A Food Network executive listened to her on an upstate public radio show, while a producer of the Today show happened upon her book. Rachael was invited on Today, and drove for nine hours through a snowstorm with her mother to make it to the show. She was a hit, and the next day, the Food Network signed her to a $360,000 contract.

rachael ray on the food network

Rachael took her non-expert style to two Food Network shows in 2002, 30 Minute Meals and $40 a Day. She continued to write cookbooks, averaging more than one a year, and in 2004, she began appearing on a new show, Inside Dish with Rachael Ray. The following year, she landed a fourth show, Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels, which debuted with the second-highest ratings in Food Network history. Her newfound fame and fortune allowed Rachael to buy her Lake George cabin outright, in addition to a large apartment in Greenwich Village.

In September 2005, Rachael married John Cusimano, a lawyer and amateur rock band member who now handles the legal side of Rachael's burgeoning empire, which spans cookbooks to kitchenware. Her latest venture is a new bi-monthly magazine, Every Day with Rachael Ray, which first hit newsstands in October 2005. Rachael's most ambitious project yet, though, will surely be an afternoon talk show she's set to host in 2006, which is to be distributed by King World Productions in partnership with Harpo, Oprah Winfrey's production company.

What else do you need to know?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top