Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 10:26:19 AM EDT
Hey guys, I got a question for all you fine fellas:

Would tracking cookies on one browser be able to detect what happens in another?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Today, no. Browsers don't share cookies, though they could if both vendors wanted to share, or one vendor bothered to "follow the other one around" as it were.

In 10 years, who knows.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok cool, thanks man!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Only if both are separate copies of Firefox and you copy the cookie sqlite database from one profile to the other.  I have to do that every time they update the "official" Firefox at work so that I can keep using my "unofficial" copy that actually lets me change settings
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok cool, thanks man!

Well... you're not out of the woods.

In order to track people better - across domains, across browsers, and even if they delete their cookies, some places use flash cookies.  Those are stored globally by your flash player.  Many places will even put enough in them that they can rebuild HTTP cookies if you delete them.

So if you want to be safe, use the flash player settings manager to set it to never allow web sites to store data.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok cool, thanks man!

Well... you're not out of the woods.

In order to track people better - across domains, across browsers, and even if they delete their cookies, some places use flash cookies.  Those are stored globally by your flash player.  Many places will even put enough in them that they can rebuild HTTP cookies if you delete them.

So if you want to be safe, use the flash player settings manager to set it to never allow web sites to store data.

There's are also Firefox plug-ins that will delete flash cookies when it closes...(better privacy or privacy+)
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top