Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/22/2004 4:22:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 8:31:29 AM EST by DriftPunch]
This is a manufacturer, not an installer. I'm going to be talking with a contractor next week who uses this stuff. I am interested in the "Craneboard" model, which is foam backed. It has a lifetime guarantee, but that relys on the life of the company.

www.cranesiding.com
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:44:40 AM EST
Vinyl is Final.

I've heard this many times....being the wife of a exterior construction contractor!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:23:03 AM EST
As such, doing a poor job or using substandard materials will be a permanent problem. How about asking hubby if he's heard anything bad about Crane, or any other mfg of foam backed siding.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:28:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 5:29:52 AM EST by gilfrd]
I looked and looked for siding when I was getting my house done.

I went with Alside. It's very strong and looks great, wont fade much since the color is all the way through the material. This siding wont buckle in the heat either if installed properly.

No help on your question but it's good stuff.

Alside has been in business since 1947.

eta... Alside
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:38:12 AM EST
Is that crane siding part of the new SOPMOD kit?

sorry just joking, since anything here with Crane attched to it is aways considred the high speed stuff, I have never used it and don't know anyone that has.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:06:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 6:07:06 AM EST by Mallory_Knox]
I'll ask when he gets home, being friday and all....you can bet I'll repost about 9PM!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:13:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 6:14:01 AM EST by JCKnife]
A lot of my customers are home-improvement contractors and I've heard from them that Crane is top-notch stuff--especially the foam-backed. Don't know anything about the stability of the company.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:29:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mallory_Knox:
I'll ask when he gets home, being friday and all....you can bet I'll repost about 9PM!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:30:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By JCKnife:
A lot of my customers are home-improvement contractors and I've heard from them that Crane is top-notch stuff--especially the foam-backed. Don't know anything about the stability of the company.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:58:00 AM EST
never used it on any of my homes, but I have a sample board here in my office, and it looks like good stuff........
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:56:50 AM EST
Ok, he says he has used it and it is quality siding.....from a contractor's point of view it's a pain to put up, but that's not your problem.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:50:49 AM EST
Certian Teed is a great brand so is Allside. I cant comment on Crane ,if claiming a insulation factor because

of the backing I would take that with a grain of salt. House wrap like Ammowrap or Tyvek would be cheaper

and better. As far as making it rigid by a good brand with the right thickness and you wont need the foam.

Personally on my properties I use Hardie Board cement ciding.Look way better than any vynl siding.Just

dont get the prepainted it scuffs to easy.Do get the pre primed though. Dutchlap is the only vynl that the

butt seems look good from any angle .
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:21:37 AM EST
I'm dead set against vinyl siding. It's permanent, tends to bulge and warp, and will fracture if hit with a ball or like especially when it's below freezing. FWIW, I just installed prefinished Hardiplank Lap Siding. It's fiber cement and great stuff.

www.hardie.com/
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:26:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By skich:
I'm dead set against vinyl siding. It's permanent, tends to bulge and warp, and will fracture if hit with a ball or like especially when it's below freezing. FWIW, I just installed prefinished Hardiplank Lap Siding. It's fiber cement and great stuff.

www.hardie.com/

What you said is true. Plastics will expand and contract with heat and cold. This constant expanding will make plastics weak and eventually crack. It may not happen overnight, and if the plastic is UV stabilized will take much longer. I'm not sure about the fracturing if hit while freezing with a ball - but the constant exposure to cold does make most plastics brittle.

The vinyl siding looks better than the hardboard IMHO. Just two cents worth from a plastics processor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:09:42 PM EST
Thanks to all for the data...

Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
Certian Teed is a great brand so is Allside. I cant comment on Crane ,if claiming a insulation factor because of the backing I would take that with a grain of salt. House wrap like Ammowrap or Tyvek would be cheaper and better. As far as making it rigid by a good brand with the right thickness and you wont need the foam.

In the great gun buyer tradition, I'm going to have them do both (wrap * foam backed)! I just have an issue with the void space, especially with the wasp problems I have. Note, that they only claim R4, so insulation is not a big selling point if you understand just how low 4 really is...

Personally on my properties I use Hardie Board cement ciding.Look way better than any vynl siding. Just dont get the prepainted it scuffs to easy.Do get the pre primed though. Dutchlap is the only vynl that the butt seems look good from any angle .
My concern with Hardi is the installation, I'm sheathed with Celotex and I don't trust that anyone will hit the studs regularly.

The reality is that my house not a high end piece. Just a typical low end '80s colonial (west coasters may not be getting a visual). As such Vinyl is not out of place, and seams are not really an issue. If I was building my dream house, it would be another story...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:28:35 PM EST
Well I'm a west coaster so I'm not getting a visual, but if you have unbacked celotex anywhere in your house I'd consider something more structure-enhancing, like T-111 or hardiboard. I've seen what happens to celotex-sheathed houses over time, popped drywall and so on.

If you're talking celotex over ply then I'd go hardiplank, but that's the firefighter in me.

A continuous R4 is nothing to sneeze at though, when you figure you've only got R6-7 in the framing. An R19 wall only performs at about R12 on average, an R4 wrap gets you up to R20 or so.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:16:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By gilfrd:
... wont fade much since the color is all the way through the material.

Hmmm, you need to think about this. Wood is "wood colored" all the way through and it fades. Fading is the surface bleaching out and has nothing to do with the depth of the coloration. Unless you want to sand away the faded layer to show new color, it will eventually look chalky.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:47:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By K2QB3:
Well I'm a west coaster so I'm not getting a visual, but if you have unbacked celotex anywhere in your house I'd consider something more structure-enhancing, like T-111 or hardiboard. I've seen what happens to celotex-sheathed houses over time, popped drywall and so on.

I'm straight celotex... A colonial wouldn't look right without some type of lap.

Here is a small colonial. Mine is a couple hundred square feet bigger than this one.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:52:56 AM EST

Never heard of it. I just had the house and garage sided with Alside. Get back with me in 20yrs and I'll let you know how I like it.
Top Top