Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2017 11:16:44 PM EDT
Anybody familiar with Georgia vehicle law?

Long story short we had a contractor (who didn't even finish the job, eventually learned he got out of the business altogether) left his run down utility trailer on one of our farms. He got his more valuable equipment but left the trailer. It's nothing special, just a rusted up 6x12 utility trailer with a bent axle and flat tires.

I'm kind of tired of it just sitting around taking up room so I've thought of fixing it back up with a new axle, wood, tires, lights, paint, etc.

It doesn't have a tag on it. There's probably no telling where it came from originally. What would my best course of action be to get a tag for it so I can use it on the road? Register it as a homemade trailer? Tell the tag office what is going on?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Over a year on your property? Tell him he can have it back...after he pays your $40/mo storage fee. I have a feeling he won't want it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
seeing it's a trailer, remove serial number, go to tag office, get new serial number, go to police dept, get police to sign form, get tag.

Not exactly legal, but that's why we have so many stolen trailers in GA. It's that easy.

I believe you'll have to sue the guy for the trailer. Like a mechanic's lien. Go to probate court and ask them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't you mean 'your' trailer?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over a year on your property? Tell him he can have it back...after he pays your $40/mo storage fee. I have a feeling he won't want it.
View Quote

Bruh he doesn't want it back for free apparently.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Scrap metal is bringing 5.75per hundred pounds right now,, thing may be worth $20
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a buddy with an auto shop? That was working on it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
scrap it and tell him some meth heads stole it
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Scrap metal is bringing 5.75per hundred pounds right now,, thing may be worth $20
View Quote
lol it's sooooo bad right now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
seeing it's a trailer, remove serial number, go to tag office, get new serial number, go to police dept, get police to sign form, get tag.

Not exactly legal, but that's why we have so many stolen trailers in GA. It's that easy.

I believe you'll have to sue the guy for the trailer. Like a mechanic's lien. Go to probate court and ask them.
View Quote

I haven't communicated with the guy in over a year. He didn't even finish the job he started. I attempted to to get ahold of him several times to come get the other (more valuable) stuff he left, which he eventually did. He left this trailer, so it's my assumption he doesn't want it. And he's in a completely different line of work now so he has no use for it.

I haven't even checked for the serial tag. I doubt it even has one. But this thing isn't even worth going to court or something over. I would literally put in way more money to get it road worthy again than its worth. It's basically scrap metal at the moment.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the shape of it. If somewhat road legal and easy and cheap to make it legal. Or use it for target practice. Either works depending how much work you want to do.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
i always registered my trailers as "homemade"
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
scrap it and tell him some meth heads stole it
View Quote

What trailer? When was the last time you saw it Mr . contractor? It doesn't sound like he wants it anyway
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Roll it out on to a public street and let the county haul it off.  Buy the time you do all those repairs you would be better off buying one used.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd just drag that thing off the property and call it in as abandoned.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Does it have his phone number on the side or anything?

I would drag it into the middle of the road & leave it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd just drag that thing off the property and call it in as abandoned.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Repeat after me:

"What trailer?" [shrug]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Repeat after me:

"What trailer?" [shrug]
View Quote

Lol I'm not concerned about him coming back for it.

My question is about how I would go about getting it tagged for my use.

The guy doesn't want it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#19]
What are you going to use it for?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Typical utility trailer stuff.

But I see what you are getting at. I might be better off just using it around the property and not taking it down the highway.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah my utility trailer is tagged with trailer VIN number and even a title, or a title-looking document. Not sure about full appropriation and getting it tagged without a bill of sale. I know some friends who seem to get by using their utility trailers untagged, but they just use them for going to the dump or hauling ATVs to hunt camp.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol I'm not concerned about him coming back for it.

My question is about how I would go about getting it tagged for my use.

The guy doesn't want it.
View Quote
Just tell them you have a small homemade trailer and you need a tag.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I haven't communicated with the guy in over a year. He didn't even finish the job he started. I attempted to to get ahold of him several times to come get the other (more valuable) stuff he left, which he eventually did. He left this trailer, so it's my assumption he doesn't want it. And he's in a completely different line of work now so he has no use for it.

I haven't even checked for the serial tag. I doubt it even has one. But this thing isn't even worth going to court or something over. I would literally put in way more money to get it road worthy again than its worth. It's basically scrap metal at the moment.
View Quote

Yeah, it's yours now.
Do with as you please, keep it sell it ,scrap it, but don't sweat it
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Utility Trailer

Bent axle, flat tires

$100 OBO. Cash only.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Laws vary by state. In TX the "home built" thing mentioned above will get you a plate and registration at the tax office. No proof needed, just tell the fat lady at the tax office it's home built and you're in. The registration for a "home built" trailer is also proof of ownership. Find out what is needed in your state. It might be that easy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Laws vary by state. In TX the "home built" thing mentioned above will get you a plate and registration at the tax office. No proof needed, just tell the fat lady at the tax office it's home built and you're in. The registration for a "home built" trailer is also proof of ownership. Find out what is needed in your state. It might be that easy.
View Quote
I've never done it but apparently other states will register your trailer.  I think Maine is a big one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Have it towed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Gorilla press that shit and throw it down your driveway.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Find out where he lives and drop it in his driveway? Maybe be sure to fill it with any trash you need to get rid of to make up for the years rent he didn't pay to store it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#30]
How do you know that the trailer wasn't stolen in the first place, and left there on purpose?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Why have you not just towed it and left it in a Wallyworld parking lot?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#32]
What is this tag you speak of?  No trailer tag needed in SC , just have someone write you a bill of sale if you're worried about it then do whatever government raping is required there for a tag.  Or list it as homemade.  Or call it in as abandoned and have someone haul it off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But I see what you are getting at. I might be better off just using it around the property and not taking it down the highway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Drag it around your place no worries.  Spend 1K on one to drive on the road.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#34]
can't yo just hook it up and drag it over to his house?..
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
can't yo just hook it up and drag it over to his house?..
View Quote

a) don't know where the guy lives

b) I do know the general area he lives in is 3+ hours from me

c) As per the op, the trailer is currently not road worthy
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:41:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How do you know that the trailer wasn't stolen in the first place, and left there on purpose?
View Quote

This is what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Call police and tell them you have an abandoned trailer on your property.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Like the poster above said.

Call the PD or SO and ask them about the abandoned vehicle process.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:59:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:22:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot here in vegas its $60 a ton.

Honestly spending the money on fixing you could buy one used that nicer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#41]
A body shop can straighten the axle using frame straightening equipment........
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Put a free ad on craigslist
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
But this thing isn't even worth going to court or something over.
View Quote

So why make the thread? just shit can it....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]
we had a shithead contractor do the same with his trailer full of job-related trash.
after three weeks I told him i'd take it to the dump myself, and just leave the trailer there as well ( it was licensed and plated).
funny; he came about 2 days later and got it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#46]
If he's not concerned,  I'm herrings it was stolen in the first place
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Call a towing company.  Tell them it's abandoned on your property, and you aren't certain who it belongs to.  Let them take it away. 
If anyone comes back looking for it, tell them to call the towing company. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't really work like that. There are laws and shit and you ain't in GA
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Homemade

Sometimes they make you get it weighed
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Post it on bookface free must pick up. Being "immigrants off" day, it'll be gone by lunchtime.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top