Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2010 6:28:36 PM EDT

They want me to leave dec 26th. What would my year there be like?
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Dusty and humid.  With a hint of sewage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the French PX, its got cigars.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of work?  For whom?  It's a warm place.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dusty and humid.  With a hint of sewage.

Yeah, dusty as all fuck. It hangs in the air all day, every day. It's more like moon dust than anything you've probably seen before.

Expect multiple rocket attacks per week. It had quieted down when I left last week though.

When the wind hits the poo pond right it gets so nasty you can taste it some places on base. Other than that stuff it's not a bad place to be, I'd go back.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Welding for Dyna-corp.
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
DynCorp.

LogCap or ACAS?
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
you can expect to secretly plot the deaths of Dyn leadership after a year.  Kandahar is a nice place, just get into a groove and try not to get into too much trouble
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you can expect to secretly plot the deaths of Dyn leadership after a year.  Kandahar is a nice place, just get into a groove and try not to get into too much trouble

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welding for Dyna-corp.

You gonna be at the RTC?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welding for Dyna-corp.

You gonna be at the RTC?

They haven't told me specifics yet.  The contract says Kandahar.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
No, will be a different site most likely.  The RTCs are part of ACAS which is a totally separate contract from LogCap.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, will be a different site most likely.  The RTCs are part of ACAS which is a totally separate contract from LogCap.

Is that a good or bad thing?
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably a good thing.  The RTCs are Afghan National Police Regional Training Center's where the ACAS program supervises basic police training and runs police mentoring programs from.  ACAS was a State Department program, but the military took it over this past year.  I would guess the LogCap contract will be on KAF since it's in direct support of the military, so potentially more creature comforts.  I'm trying to catch some old friends on IM so I can ask them a few questions for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably a good thing.  The RTCs are Afghan National Police Regional Training Center's where the ACAS program supervises basic police training and runs police mentoring programs from.  ACAS was a State Department program, but the military took it over this past year.  I would guess the LogCap contract will be on KAF since it's in direct support of the military, so potentially more creature comforts.  I'm trying to catch some old friends on IM so I can ask them a few questions for you.

Awesome, keep me updated
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd take the RTC over KAF any day. if you want any of KAFs comforts, its ten minutes down the road, and the RTC  Dyne guys were over there almost on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]
RTC living can be nice, the RTCs were rougher in the old days, but got cleaned up pretty nice, but I'm not sure how the ACAS management is these days.  Last I'd heard they were getting pretty "rule" heavy.  Yes that one is very close to KAF, if you have access to transpo.  But it's also kind of hanging out there on it's own as well.  Don't forget the IED/commando attack at the front gate that killed the Gurkha and police mentor this past year.

ETA:  At any rate, it's a moot point b/c LogCap isn't on the RTCs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm hearing Dyncorp lost RTC. Reason I say this as I just had a recruiter from another company contact me about a job there.

Paul,
Contracting is the only way to go. If you want shoot me an IM and I'll tell you more about it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm hearing Dyncorp lost RTC. Reason I say this as I just had a recruiter from another company contact me about a job there.

Paul,
Contracting is the only way to go. If you want shoot me an IM and I'll tell you more about it.

What kind of pay was the other company offering? Anything close to Dynes pay scale?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Paul,

Nope, Dyn has the ACAS contract (which runs the RTCs) firm in hand.  It's normal for a company's recruiter's to hire for contracts they don't have but are bidding on, and there are a very few cats and dogs from other contracts/companies/etc living on a few of the RTCs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nope, Dyn has the ACAS contract (which runs the RTCs) firm in hand.  It's normal for a company's recruiter's to hire for contracts they don't have but are bidding on, and there are a very few cats and dogs from other contracts/companies/etc living on a few of the RTCs.

I can tell you that Dyne didn't like having the military on Kandahar RTC. They did everything they could to make us feel unwelcome. If I had a choice of Dyne and a company like MPRI, I'd go with MPRI just because of my positive interactions with almost all MPRI contractors and the truly hit-and-miss quality of the Dyne guys......in that companies case, the Dyne training guys who couldn't wait to get  as far away from the flagpole as possible in Helmand in '08 tended to be great guys. Most of the guys huddled around the flagpole in KRTC in '09? Completely different story.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you that Dyne didn't like having the military on Kandahar RTC. They did everything they could to make us feel unwelcome. If I had a choice of Dyne and a company like MPRI, I'd go with MPRI just because of my positive interactions with almost all MPRI contractors and the truly hit-and-miss quality of the Dyne guys......in that companies case, the Dyne training guys who couldn't wait to get  as far away from the flagpole as possible in Helmand in '08 tended to be great guys. Most of the guys huddled around the flagpole in KRTC in '09? Completely different story.

MPRI has been trying to get that contract for a while now, even more so when DOD took it over from DOS, and yes MPRI is a more military oriented company.  In fact, about a year ago when that switch happened, everyone thought MPRI would take it over, but Dyn is still there.  It's a big contract, Dyn has had it for over 5 years, and it would be tough to throw them out.   Even if you did though, management and some leaders would change, but 80% or so of the people on the contract would stay.  Don't even get me started on personalities involved when it comes to police mentors though...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top