Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2002 11:03:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
DVD,

I still don't think we'll qualify.  He seems more like he'll get rid of the current cronyism more than spread the availibility.

BTW, when we were talking about king size beds, check out [url]www.overstock.com[/url] .  We get whole sheet sets for thirty bucks or so.  Check them out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
DVD,

Jacobs is saying that unless you are in serious risk of your life or a person that has a legitimate excuse you will be issued a CCW.

If you are a citizen that says "'cause I'd like to be able to defend myself in need", then tough luck.

At this point there are exactly 120 ccw permits in this county. I seriously wonder how many gave to the Sherrifs fund.

PS..Overstock.com is a great website. I've bought alot of things from them!

Alex
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds to me like he is not going to issue any CCW
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
First, don't trust anyone who's last name is Jacobs.

Secondly, it sounds to me if he goes through with his plan to get rid of favoritism, one could take it to mean there will be no CCW at all! Not even for the sheriff's cronies. That would get rid of the favoritism, right?

Some of you guys may remember that sheriff out in the delta who was issuing CCW's in the late 80's and early 90's. The Bay Area media fried him! I think he either quit doing it of got voted out of office. Anyway, the way the San Francisco media spoke of him, one would think he was screwing little boys. He was crucified.

I do not expect to see an increase in CCW's around here. Jacobs sounds like he's more open to it than the rest, but that's not saying much.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's my email to him:

I recently came across your website.  I'm a resident of Contra Costa County, and after reading some of the items on your page you seem to be a good candidate for Sherriff.  I agree with many of the things I've read on your site.

The reason that I'm writing is I would like to ask about your position on issuing concealed carry permits.  As you probably know, the State allows Sheriffs to sign off on issuing said permits.  Our current Sherriff has been less than fair it seems in issuing them as well.  If you haven't read or heard about the following site in particular, you may want to view it:
http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/

In particular, what do you consider to be "good cause" for determining who would receive a permit?  I am curious as this phrasing of the law allows for a great deal of interpretation, and would be interested to hear your view on the matter.

Your website makes you seem like a fair and reasonable person, and a good candidate for Sherriff.  Good luck in your campaign.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I am sure that a sizable contribution to his special fund, is proof of adequate need.  He sounds like just another PRK gun grabber that makes an exception for the elite.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am sure that a sizable contribution to his special fund, is proof of adequate need.  He sounds like just another PRK gun grabber that makes an exception for the elite.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly!  Its ok for me to carry concealed and protect my own life and the lives of my family because "I'm a COP"
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And I just sent this back to him...
View Quote
How about a simpler and more to the point note?  Such as: "If you do not see fit to trust me with a legal route for me to exercise my right to life (self-defense), then why should I trust you with a firearm, much less with the powers and responsibility of a police officer and chief?"
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I'll write in Eugene Byrd for Governor.  While I'm at it, I think I'll write him in for all offices.  If I am going to throw my vote away, it might as well be to somebody that won't grab my guns.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#18]
DVDTRACKER, seems to me you have your answer. This guy is just another dick. You won't get a CCW. So, How you going to vote.[:(]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
demonstrated adequate need to justify issuing a permit
View Quote

Text like that makes me sick.  How racist are the legislators to require something like that? What kind of person is he to believe that?  Is there a better way to make sure only well-off whites get permits?  Other than a law that states "you must be white and own land to receive a permit," I couldn't imagine anything that would more effectively accomplish that goal.  If the legislators had any guts, they'd say what they meant.  In South Carolina, at least the state police seem to be turning everyone down rather than just the "undesirables."  I'm a 73 year-old white verteran, and I don't have a permit.z
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Considering we have guns laws like this in CCC:

44-4.002 Firearms--Possession by minors.

No minor under the age of sixteen year shall possess or use firearms of .22 calibre or greater or air guns except under the direct supervision and control of an adult. (Prior code § 3300: Ord. 603).
View Quote

What are the odds of getting CCW passed?

And just to piss you off, the CCC Saturday Night Special exclusion:

54-20.014 Exemptions.

Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the disposition of any Saturday night special by police departments, sheriffs offices, marshals offices, the California Highway Patrol, other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, or the military and naval forces of this state or the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties; nor shall anything in this chapter prohibit the use of any Saturday night special by regular, salaried, full-time officers, employees or agents thereof when on duty and the use of such firearms is within the scope of their duties. (Ord. 96-42 § 2).
View Quote

Here's one I didn't even know existed.

82-36.1002 Record of ammunition sales.

No firearm dealer shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any ammunition without at the time of purchase recording the following information on a form to be prescribed by GMEDA: the date of the transaction, the name, address and date of birth of the transferee, the transferee’s driver’s license or other identification number and the state in which it was issued, the brand, type and amount of ammunition transferred and the transferee’s signature. (Ord. 95-59 § 1).
View Quote

This place in insane.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think Contra Costa County and Orange County are similar in population.
View Quote

Actually, we have just under 1 million people while OC has just under 3 million. And of course, OC is much more affluent than CCC (Don't even mention Blackhawk. In OC they are dime-a-dozen). But the real issue is this: while OC is historically conservative and pro-business (excluding parts of Santa Ana and maybe Garden Grove), Contra Costa is historically democrat and pro-union. I know Walnut Creek for one tried to pass a local ban on SUR's. And the cities of Pleasant Hill, Lafayette, and Orinda (East Berkeley) are not exactly pro-gun either.

But we are trying. I write letters-to-the-editor regularly in an effort to counteract the anti-gun venom spewing forth from Lafayette (the elitist liberals). In fact, the CC Times published one of my letters last week. Anyway, people like myself are in the minority here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is the response I got from him, and a few comments I'll add.  

the CCW issue is certainly one of the most popular issues in this campaign.
View Quote

Glad to see it's hot on his mind.  Better to enlighten him now rather than try and change his mind later.

[QOUTE]there are two issues i would like to address:

1) as a cop, i think fewer guns on the streets makes cops feel better.  but,
there is no way a cop can be available every time a bad guy tries to commit a
crime.  i am personally torn between my philosophical bend (towards a
libertarian view), and my experience as a cop that escalating the number of
guns makes me wary.
View Quote

I think he should realize that he's thinking in terms of criminals, not law abiding citizens having the firearms.  

2) once elected, i will appoint a captain or lieutenant to decide if an
individual passes the 'good cause' test-  i will not get personally involved
in the process.  there is an appearance that the incumbent plays favorites
with his friends, and that is just not right.  under my policy, every
application will be judged on its merits, not on who one knows.
View Quote

This seems reasonable enough.  As long as the individual is fair and applies the criteria evenly, then I'm ok with that.  

finally, to your question- what do you consider to be "good cause" for
determining who would receive a permit?  "Facts that indicate a person
engages in business or personal activities such that his or her safety is at
a heightened risk, and the possession of a concealed firearm may be
reasonably necessary to protect said indiviual."  << this is not a final statement, but it's a pretty good working model.  i will not hand out CCWs like candy, but they will not be impossible to get.
View Quote

The real meat and potatoes.  He's obviously had to put some thought into this, but he should be putting a little more.  

thanks for your interest.  if you want to talk about important issues, please
give me a call 925-689-7635
View Quote

And then he blows it all with that statement.  Sigh.  I would like to stress that if you write him, please be non-confrontational and try and show you are on his side, or close to it.  Out of the three candidates that we have right now, he is the one I would rather have...and I'd rather have him friendly to our cause than otherwise simply because we pissed him off being too pissy about this.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#24]
i will not hand out CCWs like candy, but they will not be impossible to get.
View Quote

Just like all the other gun grabbers, it will be impossible for everbody but the wealthy and elite.  [:(]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
2) Since he's skeptical of statistics. send him a copy of John Lott's [i]More Guns, Less Crime[/i]. If anyone can read that and not be convinced, their head is screwed on wrong.
View Quote
You might try Nation of Cowards: Essays on the Ethics of Gun Control by Jeff Snyder instead.  It contains essentially no statistics, just an excellent philosophical defense of RKBA.  However, if you do this you will have to give up on the attempt at arguing by statistics to have a consistent argument.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#27]
If some people do get them, the CC Times will have their name and address published before you can blink an eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top