Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 9:28:02 PM EDT
OK here is a dilemna... I went to a customer today and was asked to check out their BBQ. This is one of those stainless steel jobbers that BRAND NEW costs 3000.00!

I opened this thing up and the ONLY things that were salvageable was the case and the valves. The burners, radiant racks, grates, electrodes, ignitors, rods, smoker, tray were all destroyed. This unti is only 7 years old.

Estimate for repair is OVER 1600.00!!

She is gonna about shit when she gets this estimate but hey, I didnt destroy it.

What would you do? Fix or Replace?

Remember, to replace it is 3000.00 PLUS tax, Delivery and installation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace with a cheaper grill because they are too stupid to own an expensive one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd probably fix it (instead of replacing it). But then again I wouldn't but a $3K grill to begin with...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Only a crackhead would spend 3gs on something that sits outside,and you can buy one for 120.00 that will get the meat just as done.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Only a crackhead would spend 3gs on something that sits outside,and you can buy one for 120.00 that will get the meat just as done.

Oh I agree... My old propane Char-Broil was around 10 years old when I ended up throwing it away... 150.00 I bought a new one... splurged and got the side burner...

which.... I ..... never....... use
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Replace

$84 -

If you end up replacing it for them, watch out for spiders on the side of the grill -

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I dunno , but contract me to haul it, I'll do it for $2.50 mile  plus .25 cents for fuel surcharge, and If I gotta tarp it  75 more bux.
Lemme know I need something to do over the weekend.

I would ASSume 1 or 2 thinigs.
1.) Commercial grill
2.) very nice grill owned by very rich idiots.

( I suspect 1st one)

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#7]
how did they destroy it? my old man loves to grill and has a holland it seems bomb proof and you do have to do much to maintain it

for you guys saying get a cheap grill there is a diffrence
I would not have believed it either before he got a good  grill
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dunno , but contract me to haul it, I'll do it for $2.50 mile  plus .25 cents for fuel surcharge, and If I gotta tarp it  75 more bux.

1.) Commercial grill

( I suspect 1st one)

Nope... number 2
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how did they destroy it? my old man loves to grill and has a holland it seems bomb proof and you do have to do much to maintain it

for you guys saying get a cheap grill there is a diffrence
I would not have believed it either before he got a good  grill

They dont cover it... live on the ocean... salt air.. DOES NOT like metal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I agree... My old propane Char-Broil was around 10 years old when I ended up throwing it away... 150.00 I bought a new one... splurged and got the side burner...

my grill is 17 y/o and i've only replaced the burner and the lava rocks.  I keep it in the garage.  Now that I think of it, I believe it's something like cast aluminum.  I'll hold on to the 2,900 difference.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Replace

$84 -

www.weber.com/bbq/img/cg_ot_s225_lg.jpg

If you end up replacing it for them, watch out for spiders on the side of the grill -

www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/42926/2/istockphoto_42926_hawaiian_cane_spider.jpg

UGH!! friggin spiders... the manual for this company has EXPLICIT instructions about keeping spiders away from them... I LOVE THIS COMPANY!!!

Spiders like to make webs around the valve orifice and reduce the gas flow out of the burner... it is AMAZING how strong spider webs are that they can DECREASE the gas flow of a gas burner.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1.) Commercial grill

( I suspect 1st one)

Nope... number 2

in that case it really is a NUMBER 2  (a POS)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Man that's ridiculous!!! (that they would destroy the grill) How does one destroy a grill anyway?? Are you saying they burnt it up or something?? Did they physically smash it??

I guess I can't wrap my head around how someone could destroy a grill except by intentional means.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised....

ETA: I saw your explaination above, you must have been posting just as I was typing, what idiots!!! Sock it to them!!! Dumbasses obviously have more money than brains, I don't feel sorry for them at all...............
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh it is AMAZING at what my customers spend on appliances:

12,000.00 for a refrigerator

40,000.00 for a range

I shit you not... Some of these homes are OBSCENE!! The biggest home I service is 40,000 square feet. No I DID NOT write that wrong... I said it... forty thousand square feet!! Its original design was at 65,000 square feet but they cut it down to 40K.

It has a movie theatre complete with a concession stand and a marquis, a game room AND an arcade. 30 car garage... (yes 30!) and the garage is carpeted. Elevators. UNBELIEVABLE!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

40,000.00 for a range

I shit you not... Some of these homes are OBSCENE!! The biggest home I service is 40,000 square feet. No I DID NOT write that wrong... I said it... forty thousand square feet!! Its original design was at 65,000 square feet but they cut it down to 40K.

It has a movie theatre complete with a concession stand and a marquis, a game room AND an arcade. 30 car garage... (yes 30!) and the garage is carpeted. Elevators. UNBELIEVABLE!

still nothing compared to hielo's bathroom!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

40,000.00 for a range

Oh DO share that story!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#17]
which will get you more service revenue?  Go with that then.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

40,000.00 for a range

I don't know if you could even find it in the archive server.

I thinkt he thread was started by hielo in GD and had the word 'wife' in the title. Claims of a taj mahal type bathroom that was a birthday gift to him from his wife.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

40,000.00 for a range

I don't know if you could even find it in the archive server.

I thinkt he thread was started by hielo in GD and had the word 'wife' in the title. Claims of a taj mahal type bathroom that was a birthday gift to him from his wife.

I think that one was proven to be utter BS.  I do recall it, though.  

As for grills - hell, I just bought a $35 Weber Smokey Joe Gold Charcoal Grill - damn little thing works great and is portable.  Jesus, for what those people spent on that grill they could use the Weber once a week, throw it away after each use, and buy a new one for 1.5 years - amazing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#20]
if they have that much money, sell them a 6k grill for 10k. now you have made some lunch money
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#22]
If they're rich enough to afford a 3k grill and live on the ocean, are they really going to care about $1600 to get the thing fixed?  It seems like they have much more money than brains in the first place, so it shouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
if i could afford a 3000.00 grill i'd likely just replace it.

3000.00 / 7 years = 428.00 per year.

as 1600.00 is over 50% of the replacement cost and future repairs will drive that higher as it's likely close to end of life as it is, repair is just not cost effective IMHO.

mike

Dont start rationalizing this by interjecting math and FACTS into this now!!

I tend to agree and LOOK at human nature rationale.. They can RATIONALIZE purchasing a "toy" for 3000.00 but get upset paying a grease monkey like myself 1600.00 (saving them 1400.00) to repair what they have... I dont get it...

Well, I called them this morning and left a message... we will see which direction this takes.

And what is worse is that 80% of that estimate is parts and tax.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The $129 special.  Use it A LOT.  All season usage.  Scrape the grill, clean the shield over the manifold now and then.
It's fucking flawless.

ETA: but if stuck playing the role of “person with more money than brains” I would opt to replace.  Although, if I was that stupid I might make the wrong choice and opt for repair…
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Who stands outside to cook on gas?? I have a gas oven in my house.....Why buy one for outside too?

CHARCOAL!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought this bad boy...

...for $100. Paying $3000 for something that heats food outdoors is insane.

They have more money tied up in their grill than I do in EVERY item in this picture, including the refrigerator. Fuck it, even if you add a month's rent to account for the walls and floor in the picture, I still come out ahead.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top