Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 6:38:57 AM EDT
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=7&u=/nm/20020508/od_nm/consumerreports_dc_1[/url]

Consumer Reports Recalls Gift for Safety Hazards
Wed May 8, 7:31 AM ET
By Justin Hyde

DETROIT (Reuters) - Consumer Reports magazine, the bible of wary shoppers, gave about 15,000 new subscribers an unexpected welcome for signing up -- a defective tire pressure gauge and a flashlight that could overheat and start a fire.

Federal regulators said on Tuesday that Consumers Union, the nonprofit publisher of Consumer Reports, would take back a glove compartment organizer it had sent as a gift that included the flashlight and tire gauge.

U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) warned owners that they should immediately remove the batteries from the flashlight and throw it and the tire gauge away.

"Consumers Union learned a valuable lesson," Consumers Union President and Chief Executive Jim Guest said in a column slated to run in the next issue of the magazine under the headline "Caveat Emptor Hits Home."

"We need to test any product that we offer as a premium in our own labs with the same rigor with which we rate the products you see in Consumer Reports," he said.

Consumer Reports has 4 million subscribers for its advertisement-free magazine of product tests for everything from automobiles to yogurt. Consumers Union says it spends $20 million a year testing products, supported through donations and subscriptions. The organization, whose mission is to "test products, inform the public and protect consumers," also lobbies for tougher state and federal consumer protection laws.

Consumer Reports said it received eight complaints from subscribers in late April about the kits. Two people reported minor burns from the flashlight, while others reported its case had melted and two complained about the tire gauge's accuracy.

It tested the Chinese-built flashlight and gauge in its labs, and both failed. The magazine said it notified the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission, and was in the process of sending letters to subscribers who received the kits when the federal agency announced the recall Tuesday.

Consumers Union said it was urging the importer it bought the devices from to also do a recall. Subscribers who received the kit will get six extra issues of the magazine if they return the flashlight and gauge or tell Consumers Union they threw them away. They can also cancel their subscription early
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
[Nelson Munce]Haaa! Haaa![/Nelson Munce]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[Nelson Munce]Haaa! Haaa![/Nelson Munce]
View Quote

Who is Nelson Munce
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From "The Simpsons".
View Quote

Who are "The Simpsons"? [:|]

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It's just amazing how much defective crap is coming out of China. From baby strollers to flashlights. Obviously, the bottom line is the number one concern.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
in a related story, the editor of consumer reports announced today that he was elected to the senate committee on irony along with sarah brady.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Consumers' Union is also a member of the anti-gun Consumers Federation.  Awhile back, while I was a subscriber(I know, I know, but they said they would tell the truth and was unbiased etc....) they intentionally mixed up the National Shooting Sports Foundation and the National Rifle Assoc. CU claimed that the NSSF had an office in the NRA building. I write them a letter explaining that the two entities are not related but they did nothing to correct it. I have zero sympathy for those folks and this f'up. F'em!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet their magazine are prone to peper cut too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I bet their magazine are prone to peper cut too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top