Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:35:48 AM EST
Ford got a kudo but the Japs still kick their ass

http://www.mutualfundsmag.us/galleries/2009/autos/0910/gallery.consumer_reports_most_reliable_cars/index.html

Small car: Honda Insight
Family car: Toyota Prius
Luxury car: Infiniti M35
Sporty cars: Lexus SC
Van/Wagon: Toyota Venza (4-cyl.)
Small SUV: Honda CR-V
Midsized SUV: Toyota FJ Cruiser
Luxury SUV: Mercedes-Benz GLK
Large SUV: Toyota Sequoia
Pick-up truck: Toyota Tundra (V6)

"Fewer than half of GM and Chrysler models were above average."

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:39:39 AM EST
I'm a big fan of Japanese cars but I didn't know that the prius was a family car . Can you really fit people in that thing?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:40:37 AM EST
I am sure the local UAW will chime in and say that Jap cars suck. Buy American.

It is what it is. Japanese Cars are just made better for most Americans.

Max
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:42:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By Andrewphillipf:
I'm a big fan of Japanese cars but I didn't know that the prius was a family car . Can you really fit people in that thing?

Actually yes. They are quite roomy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:47:46 AM EST

I thought that too. I occasionaly ride in Prius and they are actually quite roomy for a compact car, definitly not a family car though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:49:05 AM EST
Ford's currently on a marketing campaign similar to Obama. Don't let the new image, style, or upscale pricing fool you into thinking Fords are decent cars.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:29:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By metroplex:
Ford's currently on a marketing campaign similar to Obama. Don't let the new image, style, or upscale pricing fool you into thinking Fords are decent cars.

American's are too stupid and lazy to make decent cars.....I intended that as sarcasm but realized we're talking about union employees so it's actually true in this case

I hate Jap cars (and Korean, etc). It is largely an emotional decision and makes me feel morally superior to others, but I have had no problems with my American cars and believe the 'quality gap' evaporated years ago, except maybe with Chrysler....anyway Rice rocket, snap together jap crap sux and so do the people that drive them!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:31:13 AM EST
Consumer Reports is famous for slurping on the imports, even when they're not better cars.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:33:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 8:42:55 AM EST by Faustieah]
Originally Posted By metroplex:

You know how I know you didn't read the article?

ETA: From the article: Overall, 90% of Ford Motor Co. products earned average or better predicted reliability, placing them well above their domestic rivals.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:33:52 AM EST
Once upon a time, I bought a 1995 Dodge Neon, partly because Consumer Reports gave it a good rating. It was the biggest piece of shit I ever had the misfortune of owning. I haven't put much stock in anything they have to say ever since.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:34:09 AM EST
Pick-up truck: Toyota Tundra (V6)

Yeah, I'm sure the people buying a six cylinder are really working it.

Driving all week to the office isn't a truck test.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:42:06 AM EST
I'll stick with my American vehicles thanks..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:44:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 8:45:15 AM EST by DriftPunch]
Originally Posted By M38:

I thought that too. I occasionaly ride in Prius and they are actually quite roomy for a compact car, definitly not a family car though.

I've got one, and it is plenty big. The interior room is only a little bit smaller than a Camry.

Shit, my parents carted our family of 4 around in a '76 Pinto...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:47:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By DLaw:

Same. I keep waiting for my Chevy truck to just fall apart, but it hasn't yet... 10 years old and 205,000 miles. /shrug
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:47:06 AM EST
Doesn't CR judge vehicles based on readership surveys?

How many CR readers actually drive American-nameplated vehicles?

Remember the CR "Nova vs. Corolla" flap from about 20 years ago? (Same car made in the same plant, different nameplates, very different CR ratings.)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:25:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:

Same. I keep waiting for my Chevy truck to just fall apart, but it hasn't yet... 10 years old and 205,000 miles. /shrug

My pops has a 89 F150 that will not quit..

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:31:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:

Consumer reports has it rated quite well. Except for the drive system...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:35:47 AM EST
Fucking Japanese. Why can't they sign onto Planned Attrition like the rest of us? Get with the damn program, already! How can you stay in business if nobody's buying new cars every other year?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:36:15 AM EST

YES, Toyota cut the bottom of the steering wheel FLAT so Americans can fit inside the car. Don't believe me? Take a look.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:41:27 AM EST
I drive a 2005 Chevy Colorado and it has been a good truck. It has the bigger engine with a 5 speed. I have almost 125k miles on it and have only changed the oil, air filter, spark plugs (once at 60k for good measure), the battery a couple of weeks ago, a set of tires, and flushed the radiator. I am still on the original brakes and it has never failed to start and run well.

I like the truck as it has given me good service.
Top Top