Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 5:11:14 PM EDT
There is a CUCV Blazer in the Truck Trader for $4500.

It has 81k miles on it. What problems should I be on the look out for with the 6.2 diesel engine?

I'd like to find one with less mileage so I may just keep looking around.  I'm still trying to sell my own car as well so don't have the cash anyway, yet.

Thought there might be some CUCV owners out there in ARFCOM land who could give me a pointer or two.

Thanks,

Flyer
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Look the body over VERY carefully for rust, espceially around the tail end crossmember.

The injcetion pumps used some goofy Buna N o ring, which tends to disentegrate and kills the injection pump.  Have it rebuilt anyway, runs about $600, and have the shop upgrade the pump specs.  the pump is set up to limit output to about 120 hp.  Updated specs will give you about 160.  Upgrade the glow plug controller to an '88 and up type, and drive it.''

Mine has 298,000 on it, still going..

Ops
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Almost 150,000 on my '85 6.2L pickup and still going. Drive it every day.

Mine eats starters, though. Six in five years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d love to have an old CUCV, I’d even add the bumper numbers from my old unit!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips!

BTW, there are also a few CUCV type trucks for sell on Ebay Motors in the
military vehicle section.

The tall ambulance version is way cool but my wife and my nieghbors would shite themselves if I were to park that in the driveway. Maybe I'll sell her on the idea that it will be our camper. A camper! Yeah, that's the ticket!

I like the Blazer better anyways...Ambulance is too tall for the parking garage at work.

Be safe,

Flyer

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Love mine. Very high speed rear end. Doesn't pull trialers well in the hills. Will pull anything in low range. Whole nother world while in low. It does have rust problems. Buy extra starters like the man said. I love it. No A/C. Tint the windows.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is a CUCV Blazer in the Truck Trader for $4500.

It has 81k miles on it. What problems should I be on the look out for with the 6.2 diesel engine?

81k should be alright for a Detroit diesel (6.2) the motor and 3 sp. granny combo is pretty much bullet proof save for what the other members have posted. Also, change the fuel filter and check the fuel pump as well, I have to change my m998's fuel filter (basically the same 6.2 with some small changes) every 10k miles or it'll be hard to start, mine was running on a dead pump for awhile , it was sluggish going uphill.... until I had the chance to replace it.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
My old unit had a few until they were phased out. Some of the things that were done to them were scary. When looking at these to buy, remember they didn't get treated the same as a normal vehicle would after accidents. Two of ours were totaled at least once each during my 8 yrs. The first, had the drivers door ripped off. The cab frame was straightened and a new door was installed. It never did close quite right after that. The second, was rearended by a 5 ton tractor. The rear bumper was folded under and setting against the rear wheels. Similar repairs with similar outcome. It dog legged, meaning the rear tires didn't trail the front tires. Be very observant to the frame and the vehicle's overall condition. IA vehicles are notorious for rust, but the CUCVs never seemed to display the same symptoms. They were heavily undercoated and rustproofed. Made it a pain to remove bolts and nuts from the undercarriage!

If you are looking to use it as a decent 4X4 you will have to find an alternative mount for the underside spare tire mount. It hangs lower than the rear axle pumpkin. I found that out the hard way in some glopy mud.

Good luck, and there will be no disclosure on the title if the vehicle has been totaled in an accident.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you think it would be possible to get the air conditioner parts from a civillian
Blazer and install them in the CUCV? My oldest son is an HVAC tech and also works on automotive a/c as well. Seem like if we had all the parts we could make it fit since it really the same truck. I guess the trick would be to fing the right bracket to mount the compressor
on the 6.2 engine.

One of the guys I fly with was a motor sgt in the army, before he became a pilot, and his unit got the CUCV's right before he got out. He was attached to a communications outfit and he swears his CO had a/c in "her" CUCV.

He remembers this distinctly because she sent the company out on a road march during the summer (Ft. Hood) and she road up and down the formation in her air conditioned Blazer. The troops were not amused. Very poor leadership!

Anyway, I'd need some a/c in the CUCV incase the wife drives it. She would melt for sure.

Be safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump for any night crew CUCV drivers....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]
ive you've ever been in the mil you know how mil guys drive uncle sugars stuff... it can be a good ride though. it will be a costly project though even if you get a good one.

check this out www.steelsoldiers.com/
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully you can find one w/o "radio lean".
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the engine mounts real close.  They like to crack.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't be a sissy,get an M35,you know you want one! And get the Whistler version,your neighbors will luv you!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
If you ever need to rebuild the engine, buy a 6.5, and do whatever wiring updates, etc, necessary. It should bolt right in. The 6.2 is well known for cracked blocks (yes, I am in the industry), and aren't worth rebuilding. The 6.5 fares better, but still isn't anything to brag about. We just sold another one this week. The guy had to buy a reman, built on a 6.5L block outright. No core- cracked block. Bummer dude! No wonder so many of them ended up a gas repowers. I do have to give them some credit though, they are better than the worlds worst V8 diesel, also a GM product (see a pattern?), the 5.7L. Go buy a Dodge with a Cummins diesel and a manual transmission, throw away everything made by Dodge, and re-use the rest. That will give you at least a good engine, transmission and rear end.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Anachronism,

Thanks for the warning on the engines...

Matty,

Your right! An M35 would be the bomb. Always wanted one just never had the extra play money and now moving back to a regular nieghborhood in town so no place to park.

My kid and I looked at an M35 the other day. He said it would be a hoot to pull up to the high school in that.

He thinks chicks would like to ride around in it and lots of room in the back to party. At least I know he's got his head on straight. Ha, ha...

Drive safe,

Flyer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top