Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:23:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 7:23:36 AM EDT by Citabria7GCBC]
I am considering joining 24 Hour Fitness or some place similar to that. Any of you guys workout there? How do you like it? I need a place to workout and has good rates. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:10:56 AM EDT
For lower rates you might want to check out a locally owned place. They seem to have lower rates, as well as more liberal policies towards different types of lifting. I am talking about using chalk, olympic type lifting, making a little noise, stuff like that.

If you are looking for aerobics classes and pink dumbells, knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:00:15 PM EDT
Thats who I am with. Tons of locations in Htown, cant go wrong.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:54:58 AM EDT
I like 24 hour, been a member for a year now. You can get varying levels of membership, depending on which type of gym you'll be joining and the facilities they have.

I have a "sport" membership which lets me go to any 24 hour sport gym. It's $40 a month. I go to 2 different gyms depending on my schedule and if my workout partner will be there. If you stick with one specific gym that you'll be going to, it's even cheaper, $30-35 i believe.

They have plenty of machines, barbells, dumbells, a whole 2nd floor with cardio equipment. Swimming pool, sauna, basketball court. Hell i don't use half of what i could when i go there.

Other 24 hour gyms have towel services and other "higher end" stuff. I don't need it. I think they are called pro-sport or something. Give them a call!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:46:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 3:49:52 PM EDT by DevL]
If you have the money pay the 3 year up front fee. You can renew for $100 a year there after. Tell them you dont want any personal training sessions and you want any trips such as to Hawaii they would have gotten for signing you as a condition of your signing up for the 3 years. Otherwise be sure to get an all club membership because you WILL want to work out at other clubs once you get into it. Get a Sport level membership as you get access to all the clubs but the old Q clubs and those only offer stuff like massage and tanning rooms and other BS. They also used to have a requirement for sleeves on your shirts and crap like that because fat execs usally work out there. Sport and Fitness level clubs usally have your normal rules and amenaties the lower level clubs lack basketball courts etc. but so amny clubs are Sport you will want to be able to use them as the majority of clubs are Sport and having an all club Fitness is essentially useless. You will also want an all club becasue duifferent clubs have different equipment and you may like a prticular pice of equipment for legs that one club has and the shoulder machine another club has etc. Plus if a buddy wants to lift with you you will never just happen to lift at the same gym. When you get a membership let me know and we can go lift sometime if you like.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:56:27 AM EDT
I did basically the same as DevL,

I did use the personal trainer at 24, since I don't know what I am doing.
I thought it was worth it.
The circuit training is informative.
What do you want and how to get there, bulk, trim, cut, stamina, some or one of the above, etc...
Diet was an eye opener, I was consuming 5000 to 7000 calories a day.

The 24 hour where i go is very busy, even at 5am.

Awhile back I really started to get bored with the repitition, my personality I guess. I really need to go to build up stamina on crosscounrty machine...

I recently signed up at a local Krav Maga school and so far its been alot of fun and I get a hell of a work out. Hopefully I won't get bored with this as I did with 24 hour.

If my local 24 hour wasn't so crowded I probably would be cool with it. If I am circuit training and someone is taking up a machine it kinda puts a damper on things. Most people are good about sharing a machine.

But there are always assholes out there. I hate it when someone is just sitting on a machine trying to act cool and I ask to use it and they reply they are not done yet. Members are supposed to share the machines. Their attitude is like I am bothering them. Then they just sit there for 2 to 3 minutes before they start their routine again. I could have been done with my routine by that time. I pay just as much as they did. So my options are run to the manager, confront the asshole, maybe get into a physical altercation ( I am medium build, so I would have to strike first, hard, and disabling), then I would get kicked out or arrested (also first training was to aviod altercation if possible).

I shouldn't have to be this way, man all I wanted to do is workout.

I am not a pro at conditioning and proper diet. I have not exercised in a year and it shows. I am recovered from surgery in Feb. In the last couple of weeks since I started Krav I feel alot better.

For me Krav is the way to go.

My 2 cents.

Hope you find what works for you. Post your findings.

Dan
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:48:51 AM EDT
Well, I check out 24 hr fitness, and so far it seemed like a big chunk of change. Right now I dont think I am ready to spend it. Instead I have found a place to run and My church has a gym that offers a trainer for a better price. It my not be as nice looking facility, but I think it will get the job done and save a few bucks too. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:15:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Timanator:
Thats who I am with. Tons of locations in Htown, cant go wrong.

I agree, lots of locations. Good machines, and free wieghts
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:35:07 PM EDT
Don't do it, you'll be disappointed.

24HR has a messed up policy of overselling memberships in their places. Trying to get on any equiptment is a lot like going out for dinner, 25-45 minute wait.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:36:11 PM EDT
Check your location at various times you plan on working out to see how busy it is.
Top Top