Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 7:46:36 AM EDT
Anybody out there have any horror stories to convince me to carry?

How about times that you wish you were carrying but were empty handed?

I know that I live in a fairly non threatening state, but I have noticed a distinct change over the last ten years. It's only a matter of time before we are completely innundated with Massholes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 7:55:52 AM EDT by racer934]
You can't pick the place or time where you or a loved one may be a victim;

Living in an area with a low crime rate increases your chances of not being a victim, but doesn't eliminate the chance;

No one is responsible for your safety and security, you are the sole protector of self and your loved ones.

ETA: NH is cheap and easy to get a CCW, there is no excuse not to get one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:03:00 AM EDT
"Better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."

It only takes ONE time and it could be you or your loved one's last moments on earth.....think about that.

HH
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:04:43 AM EDT
You never know. I wear a seatbelt because it MAY save my life one day. I hope I never need it. Same goes for carrying a gun. Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:06:07 AM EDT
New Hampshire had 1.8 Murders per 100000 people

Odds of winning the Mega Millions are 1 in 135145920

Which outcome do you have better odds of?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:06:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:07:49 AM EDT
If you are in a state where it isn't near impossible to get a CCW what are ya waiting for. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around. I carry most times I go out, even though I live in a small town .
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:11:58 AM EDT
I know it's $20 for non residents. It's probably the same for residents. I'm a masshole, and I can carry a gun in your state. Why shouldn't you be able to, also?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:17:40 AM EDT
Allow me to tell you something - it does not matter where you live. I live in an area of half-million dollar homes and we have had home invasions, car-jackings, murders and attempted murders all within 2 miles of my front door.

You could be in any grocery store, Wal-Mart etc and there could be some ex-employee who just got fired come in and start shooting up the place - happens all the time in the best of areas. By carrying, you can protect yourself & loved ones from bad guys and any dogs/animals big enough or capable of killing or doing you severe harm. It's your call.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:34:16 AM EDT
It's your DUTY as a Free American to carry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:36:48 AM EDT
well mr scaramanga,
i live a little bit north of you, and i carry all the time. most thieving murderous sons of bitches jump bail head our way. get your CCW and protect oneself. nothing but a bunch of murderous animals running loose! carry on!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:03:20 AM EDT
Plus it makes buying guns a bit easier, not having to wait on the NCIS check. Its kinda like a gun owners gold card membership
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:13:51 AM EDT
Carry if you're so inclined, but just don't think carrying a gun has anything to do with protecting you or yours.

The reality is that those situations where a gun in hand could really help you are incredibly rare, and in fact never happen to most people.

However, the need for good situational awareness and good judgement is a daily one.

Blasphemous, I know, but true.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:21:11 AM EDT
In the year 2002 the Dept. of Justice concluded that firearms prevented over 200,000 violent crimes. That's in civilian hands alone, this doesn't count police or military. They suggested that this number was low, and rather conservative.
I always carry, and it has helped me more than once. On a country road a couple of badly treated great Danes that I later found out had bitten a guy down the road from me, started aggressively chasing my wife and daughter and me while we were on our bikes. As they approached my daughter's carrier I drew my 1911 and put a round in the ground in front of them. I had zero doubt about their intention, and after that first round went off they both changed their minds about us being prey, and took off. About the same time the chain on my wife's bike snapped. She would have been unable to even pedal as the dogs attacked my daughter. I'm glad I was carrying.
Every now and then a wild dog will come around our property. I have a male German Shepherd and a female (of a breed I won't mention) that protect against that, but I don't want them getting hurt doing it. I have fired at a wild dog that came onto my property while I was outside swinging my daughter on her swing.
Out here there is noone to call except neighbors if I need help, and that would even take a while. I carry and am well armed so I can defend my family. That is one of my jobs as a father. It's noone elses responsibility but my own. The police force is not designed to protect us. It could never be expected to fill that role. Armed with this realisation I have planned for success should I be forced to defend my family.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:36:30 AM EDT

I'll skip the story part, but it is wise to carry a pistol anytime you can. The big question is are you in a position like the liquor store business/ check cashing or live an "urban" enough area that you need to take hold up men, of which there may be more than one, into account or do you live in a low crime area far from the neighborhoods were bangers live.
If you live or work in a "hot spot" it is best to carry a meaningful gun such as a Glock 19 or other brand equivalent and an extra mag. If not just get a Smith 642 and drop it in your pocket.
Of course you should always have a long gun in the trunk of your vehicle. At soem point you will need a gun right now. It's kind of like heart attacks. A lot of people have a heart attack and survive and go on, but a lot die on the first heart attack too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:30:42 PM EDT
I have my carry permit so I can keep a handgun in my truck (ruger P89 with 2 extra 15 rnd mags of hydra-shocks) , but I never carry on my person. I just don't feel threatened enough, that's why I was looking for some insight on the subject.

Thanks for the free knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:36:28 PM EDT
What happens if you need it when you're not near your truck?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:46:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrScaramanga:

I have noticed a distinct change over the last ten years. It's only a matter of time before we are completely innundated with Massholes.

yes i've noticed that too
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:53:09 PM EDT
Carry when you need to. Don't get a permit, as the permit will come up and aggravate the situation if you come into contact with police for any reason (traffic stop).
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:59:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
Carry when you need to. Don't get a permit, as the permit will come up and aggravate the situation if you come into contact with police for any reason (traffic stop).

Now that's good advice right there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:06:42 PM EDT
I didn't ask your permission either, VG.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:12:59 PM EDT

I didn't ask your permission either, VG.

I didn't say anything about permission.

You are giving advice that could potentially get this gentleman arrested and charged. I can only hope he has enough upstairs to take your advice with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:15:48 PM EDT
If you are unarmed, you are at the mercy of an armed man.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:18:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:23:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:24:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 6:25:37 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 6:27:14 PM EDT by A_Free_Man]
In many states you can carry a weapon in your automobile without a CCW permit. That is not illegal, Aimless. We are not all NY'ers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:27:46 PM EDT
Better to have it, & neve,never,never need it, than to need it once & not have it. I don't carry to look for trouble, I'm prepaired for it if it looks for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:30:42 PM EDT
You seem damn good with that cigerette lighter, pen, and cigerette case gun. You may want something that can be drawn quicker. Also, the gold bling is a bit Teh Ghey.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:33:17 PM EDT
The best reason I can give you is there are more Massholes moving up here every day ... I'll cost you 10$ ... go to your local PD to apply for it, most places you'll have it in a week or 2 tops.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:34:53 PM EDT
NH Constitution:

All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property, and the state.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:37:19 PM EDT
As I said earlier, I already have my permit, I just dont carry on my person. Also, what the hell is that guy saying about carrying without a permit? It makes no sense!!!!

I have been pulled over with my handgun in the car (permit of course) and the officer didn't even bring it up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 6:46:46 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:44:24 PM EDT
Your first post did not state you had the CCW, although I do see this noted later in the thread.

Another poster has noted that in many states it is legal to possess a firearm in your car/truck without any particular license. This is accurate; it may not apply to Cow Hampshire, and certainly does not apply to Mass.

+1 on Aimless' comments.

Scaramanga - glad to hear that your local cops are also reasonable.

Executive summary: no, none of the strangers on Ar15.com can offer you a compelling reason that you MUST carry a pistol on your person.

There are a few reasons why it might be a good idea.

If you can find a comfortable carry method, there are very few negatives to carrying on your person.

Please keep the damn Massholes OUT of Cow Hampshire. I'd like there to be at least ONE place nearby I can run for a breath of fresh air.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:50:49 PM EDT
NH Constitution:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property, and the state.

Looks like TITLE 12 § 159:4 is in violation of the NH Constitution, but I am full of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:59:30 PM EDT
It sure was nice being able to legally carry a gun during the hurricanes last year. During daylight hours I never went anywhere without my pistol, at night I had an AR as well, slung over my shoulder.
Do what you want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:00:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:03:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:50:11 AM EDT

WHAT?!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:55:24 AM EDT
You already have a license and you actually have to THINK about carrying?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:05:23 AM EDT

Bzzzzzzt! Wrong answer.

I can guarantee you it will get you all sorts of trouble if you don't have a permit. You are telling this person to commit, what is most likely a felony in his state. If he's convicted, he loses his right to firearms FOREVER, his job and perhaps his family. This has to be about the worst advice given on arfcom to date.

Here's what I say when a citizen informs me that they are CCWing:

"Fantastic. Have a nice day and watch your speed."

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:34:54 AM EDT
A wise man once said "Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Take that for what it says.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:13:34 AM EDT
I have a fire extingisher in my garage. I don't anticipate ever needing it and hope I never do. Having it there, just in case, makes me feel much better. It's the same with concealed carry.

I am 55 years old and I have not had a reason to use my concealed carry weapon. I hope I go to my grave not having to use my weapon.
Top Top