Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 1:38:00 AM EDT
After five years as a LEO I am considering applying to the Fire Dept in my city. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my job but our Fire Dept really takes care of their people. The moral on my PD is very low and I don't have that fire that I once had a a two year rookie. I am just sick of seeing our non-unionized dept. keep suffering financially and seeing the Patrol Officers suffer.

Assuming I apply to fire and get hired, I can retain all my retirement and still retire after 20yrs at the age of 41. I have been thinking about for a while and have decided that now is time to make a decision. There are a few other Officers that have made the switch and have never looked back. They are glad they did it.

I would appreciate any opinions. I know an outside opinion will help because of my lack of enthusiasm toward my job at this point.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it. I considered it myself but too many years went by before I could make up my mind. If I had known 15 years ago what I know now, I would have take the Fire Fighters exam.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If you dont love it, get out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It is fairly common for PPD officers to take the test and try to get on the PFD. I know alot of guys take both tests and go with whoever hires them first. In Philly it is a no brainer- the pay is about the same but the FD works 4 days on 4 off.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you switch depts in your state, so you still have your state certification.  One of our assistant chiefs left our dept and is now the deputy chief or chief of Scottsdale PD.  Or maybe come east and get on another dept.  We have strong unions out here in the east.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
With 5 years experience, have you considered applying for a federal agency?  The FBI is hiring right now, and there's always a job open in the Bureau of Prisons.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've thought about a Federal job. The only problem is that all my family and my wifes family is from this area. It would be hard to give that up. I really want to be able to keep the 5 years I've put into this and be able to still reitre in another 15.

From what I have heard, the Federal jobs are having the same political BS problems that is causing me headaches as an Officer. I don't know how true all of those rumors are but it wouldnt suprise me.  

For some reason when I proposed the transfer to the Fire Dept. with my wife, she seemed very unsure and thought it was a bad idea. I'm still undecided.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I would listen to your wife man. She knows you better than you know yourself, I guarantee it!!

It sounds from your post that your are unhappy with the white shirts, not the job.

If this is the case your leaving for the wrong reason, as someone else posted there are other departments out there that treat their people better.

Are you going to be able to give up the action of being a patrol officer for sitting in a firehouse looking at the walls?

Fireman in general are not the hard chargers that we as police officers are, the ones I have met have no problem sitting and doing nothing while they wait for a call, I myself would go insane if I weren't out on the street.

I am not slamming Fire personnel in any way, I just feel that 90% of the Officers I know would make horrible Firemen.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going through the same emotions as well. I'm waiting to see how the next NYPD contract goes (No, I'm not optimistic) and I'm very seriously considering switching to a different department in NY (Port Authority PD, much better pay) or maybe just getting the hell out of New York all together and relocating in a "gun-friendly" state.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm POLICE through and through! I do have to admit I've been in LE for 5 1/2 yrs, with the past 2 1/2 yrs full time. I really have no interest in doing medical calls or cleaning fire trucks. Just my 2 cents worth...ArLawman
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If your not happy switch but don't think it will be any better. All jobs have their bad point when your doing it. The other guys job always looks better. The important thing be happy and serve the community. Bring respect to your profession.

Waverunner...PAPD is the way to go $$$$$$$$. just remember the above
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm currently an agent with the INS and I can tell you it is no different on the federal side of the house. What ever you do don't go BOP, I have the utmost respect for those guys but you couldn't pay me enough to put up with what they do. The only federal agency that I work with that seems to take care of their own is the US Marshalls. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Have two friends who did exactly this and are happy and content, one who to this day wishes he had but is to old to do it. Good luck on your choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top